Scope Question

I just bought an Akela in .177 and have shot it out to 140 yards with the 13grain knockouts and the 15 grain nsa's My good scopes are on powder guns, so I was using a bugbuster 3-9/32, which has huge crosshairs at 9x. the best group is 7/16 at 50 with old brown box crosman 10.3's and a dime at 75 with the knockouts. So far the scope is limiting me.

The 100 yard slugs went into a 1/5 scale ram center of body to neck, the 140 was about a circle the bottom of a popcan. Both of those were before the sear and linkage adjustment.

Having been a earlybird buy at 389 the gun was a great buy. I should probably spend the money for a hawke or some such, but in the field target forum see several folks saying the Vector Optics Sentinel 10-40X50SFP is a good backup field target scope. Since i have my own silhouette and field target ranges I would like to play there too. First love is long range, wonder if anyone here has any thoughts on the scope for that rifle and the intended use. I have 300 yards here at home, and will play in the 1-200 yard range with the Akela as I have with my 25 Mrod that I built a few years back.

Open to thoughts.

I use a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24X56 scope for HFT for years and found it to be pretty accurate for ranging. Sure, there are scopes with better glass, but this one is good enough for me. If you also intend to shoot long ranges, then a scope with more magnification would be in order. My recommendation is a Sightron S3 10-50X60. The HFT version is very popular among FT shooters, but it only ranges up to 55 yards. There are other versions that range up to infinity with the same features. These are super scopes with fantastic glass. Buy once, cry once.

Well I haven't tried alot of different field target Scopes but I did do alot of research a couple of years ago and purchased an Aztec emerald 2nd focal plane scope. Mine was a 5.5x25x50 I couldn't be happier with it. The few times I did field target they wouldn't allow me to touch the scope magnification during the game. Its been awhile since I played but I think the magnification requirements have changed since I last went. I was required to keep the dial on 14 power and I believe that your allowed to do 16 power now. Anyway I don't like FFP Scopes for field target.....or most hunting requirements. I like that the second focal plane reticle is always the same size and give a full picture of the reticle. What I do is make a dope card for 16 power and use it for almost everything. Hunting,field target,busting spinners at 50 yards etc.... When I want to do long range wich is almost never anymore I put it up to 25 and create a separate dope card just for 80 yards and beyond. I only did this once because I am not capable of getting any kind of good accuracy at those ranges with a 177. I live in a windy area and it's really just a waste of ammo for my purposes. Anyway I paid 500 for mine but airguns of Arizona has it for $439 that's a good deal. It has a thin but bold cross hair and excellent Christmas tree for wind holds. You might want to check one out before making any 1000 dollar purchases it really punches above it's weight class. Also look into swfa ss fixed power scopes. They really can't be beat if you can settle for a fixed power. Good luck man. That's some great shooting with a bug buster! I couldn't do any better with a night force so good on ya.

Slugs, 10.34 knockouts on the turkey at 75, ram at 100, plate at 140, targets 50 yards with 10.5 brown box.

bottom two on the plate and top two over the quarter were be picking the mildot to use.
60D92963-5318-4C2A-9ABA-9D6ED9F8EAC9.1638924358.jpeg
8BC2BB44-9952-4D53-8D9F-FE9622F39484.1638924359.jpeg
223A0460-2C8F-4A15-AC1E-FFAA9C9ECDFA.1638924359.jpeg
7D755B35-7B2B-4224-85F5-C38A294374BB.1638924359.jpeg

What about this, Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56? My buddy has one, loves it it’s 50 bucks more than the other I mentioned.
yes to the mounts, its the no limit mounts isn’t it?

Argos is actually a very good scope for the money, adjustment mounts are great but not really that repeatable and out pass 200 you might need 20 mils or more which most 30mm scopes barely have about 18 mils. Plus you don’t want to zero at closed to edge of scope because optical quality sucks at near zero. For long range one of the important feature is amount of internal adjustment but if you hold over a lot more then it’s not that’s bad with a 30mm scope and 20moa mount. 

I chose a Falcon X50 over a Sightron.

There are some rumours that both brand glass is coming from same production line but the Falcon is Made in Japan in contrast. Also the clarity and sharpness is up to full x50 power.

50 is a minimum power if you want to see the POI and don't want to drag a separate spotting scope in your bag. If my memory serves me well it is rated for 1000 meters or yards...

Mine X50T (=target) doesn't have illuminated reticle, also no mark for x16 power (Field games scope power limitation), I think for Field it is called X50FT or something like that and that one is coming with a big metal focus wheel as well.

When I was buying a target scope my tinkering was between Falcon or Nikko (with green turret caps, hard to find when you want them). I got mine from Kraleshops.

For a PCP, I use powder burner scopes. Prefer first focal plane and make sure the parallax goes down to 10 or 20 yards. I use an Athlon 6-24 and a Vortex 6-24. Really never use over about 18x, too much magnification. Other PCP is a 4-14. don't remember where I got the scope, but it's a PB scope as well. None of the scopes were over $350, and I'm happy with all three. Glass is so good these days, we are simply spoiled for choice.

What about this, Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56? My buddy has one, loves it it’s 50 bucks more than the other I mentioned.
yes to the mounts, its the no limit mounts isn’t it?

Argos is actually a very good scope for the money, adjustment mounts are great but not really that repeatable and out pass 200 you might need 20 mils or more which most 30mm scopes barely have about 18 mils. Plus you don’t want to zero at closed to edge of scope because optical quality sucks at near zero. For long range one of the important feature is amount of internal adjustment but if you hold over a lot more then it’s not that’s bad with a 30mm scope and 20moa mount.

That particular scope wouldn't be a good choice if you plan on shooting Field Target/FT, because it only focuses down to 15Y on max magnification.

The Argos 6-24 does focus at 10Y, so does the Helix 6-24 G1 and G2. If your intent is shooting open FT I'd suggest a 10-50. If HFT then you don't need more than 16x. To use 16x the magnification must be labeled 16x or you have to use the next lower marking which is usually 15x. So keep all these things in mind.

Some good news is Athlon will be coming out with some FT specific scopes for 2022! Probably won't be available until summer though so no use in waiting.

Reactions: Fate
Hai, 

I am using bushnell banner 3-9×40 scope mounted in NX200 0.177 rifle. 

My question is -

Zero set in 20 meters, but slight deviation is there in point of impact, if i shoot either 10 or 30 meters, is there any solution for this variation, else i have to adjust and take a shot, by moving cross hair upward and downward!!!

You can use a ballistic program or, app for cell phone, to give you corrections at different distances.

Or you can do "actual" trajectory by setting out a target at each distance, adjusting by using the elevation turret or by holding over using the reticle. It takes time but alleviates doubt and trigger time if always fun..