• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

scope question HFT

Yes, where I shoot HFT you cannot adjust elevation or windage but you can adjust magnification, 4x would obviously help with a close off hand or kneeling target. Put a piece of tape or some marker on 16x to make it clear you are not over for the long shots.

Maybe local club rules differ allowing zoom adjustments. I know our club does not allow it.

I assume, since you are in the USA that you are asking about AAFTA "Hunter Class" and not the European "Hunter Field Target" (HFT). If so, a fixed 4x scope would put you at a distinct disadvantage. You can use a scope up to 16x or any power below that. AAFTA rules do not prevent you from adjusting the magnification of the scope during a match as long as you do not exceed 16x. I am not sure about the European HFT rules, but I think they do not allow any scope adjustment. 

"AAFTA Hunter Division Rules -

Sights A. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used but are limited to a maximum of 16 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater than 16X must be turned to the 16X or nearest lower factory marking on the scope.

B. No Windage or Elevation adjustments allowed during the match. Any shooter discovered adjusting windage or elevation during a match will forfeit all shots on that lane.

C. Optical sights with parallax adjustment may be adjusted so that the target is in focus. Range (yardage) markings may be used."

one more point as well- if the max magnification on a variable magnification scope is 16x (like a 4-16X scope) I find that 16X is working a little hard to be as clear as the same scope at 14X. What I look for is a little headroom above the desired magnification, so I can back it down to 16X. 

At our Concord FT matches, we do allow shooters in HFT to adjust magnification within the limits of their class, which is currently 16X.

one more point as well- if the max magnification on a variable magnification scope is 16x (like a 4-16X scope) I find that 16X is working a little hard to be as clear as the same scope at 14X. What I look for is a little headroom above the desired magnification, so I can back it down to 16X. 

At our Concord FT matches, we do allow shooters in HFT to adjust magnification within the limits of their class, which is currently 16X.

Totally agree

If you need 16x magnification the clarity will be better if the scope isn't maxed out @ 16x 

SO a scope w/ 18x20x magnification will give you a clearer sight picture set @ 16x. Also you may find that you can use less magnification say 14x with the higher magnification, giving you a better sight picture.

I use a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24 X only because the 20X reticle fills out the image for better holdover and its accurate ranging ability.

When shooting 10yd to 55yd with a typical scope height, it only requires about 10moa (about 3 milliradians) to cover the worst case (10yd target). At 16x, the 20x reticle gives you half as many useful hash marks when compared to the 10x reticle. On the 20x, those other marks that “fill out the image” never get used, so what’s the point.

Now, if you are talking about stadiametric range finding (bracketing), the 20x reticle makes it easier to bracket larger/closer targets, but you give up the precision of the 10x reticle when bracketing the farther targets.