Scope Ocular Lens Focus (not to be confused with Objective Focus)

So the standard way to do this is:
Point scope at a plain bit of sky or white wall/piece of paper through the scope.
close your eyes
Open your eyes and adjust reticle focus.
repeat until you think the reticle is "sharpest"

When I do the above method with scopes that have an IR feature, the red/green/blue reticle seems slightly blurred and if there is a center dot, it always seems to have a star-burst effect. Yes, old eyes suck. Up until last night I just accepted the star-burst as part of aging. :-(

On a whim, I popped off the scope flip covers and started playing with the ocular focus. Mind you, I’d already gone through the standard reticle focusing routine.

I started on the lowest visible light setting for the IR and pointed to the darkest area in a room. Turned the ocular focus and noticed something pretty cool..the star-burst was being reduced. So I turned and focused to the point there was just a red dot. Then, I increased to a brighter IR setting and there was a micro star-burst..so I adjusted focus again until it was gone. Upped the IR setting and repeated. At one point, as I increased IR, there was no star bust effect. I checked by cycling downward in IR brightness and no star-burst at all. :)

Next day I looked through the scope in full sun and the reticle was crystal clear. Much better than is was originally.

Last edited:
I think a better way to focus the ocular is to sight on a target and then try moving your head a little side to side and top to bottom. If you can move your head and your point of aim changes, move the ocular and try again. You should be able to set it where you cannot move your head and shift your point of aim, at least significantly. If I really try I may be able to shift my point of aim 1/16th inch at 30 yards but I have to try. Any normal head position change either does not change my point of aim or I cannot see the target. I look at the "focus until you can see the reticle clearly" as a decent first step but insufficient to really set it where it needs to be.

In a perfect world your objective adjustment would set the "target" focus, and parallax (point of aim shift) to a certain range which would, in this perfect world be shown on the objective ring. It doesn't always work this way, so I opt for parallax free, over focus.

I use the focus ring to adjust the crosshair focus.

I'm having those same issues with my eyes, seeing the red dot like a star or lightning bolt, and last weekend I was seeing two horizontal crosshairs. The vertical was still one line, but the horizontal was two lines about a quarter inch apart at 30y. So I switched to my left eye and it was clear.