• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

scope mounts problem?

Alex

Jul 22, 2015
I have sport match rings and when i put them side by side on the rail, facing the opposite way i can see a small gap. It probably makes sens for those who watched AirArmsHuntingSA's video of how to mount a scope. My rifle is zeroed at 50 yds and when i shoot at 90 yds my POI is 1to 2 inches to the right. Same thing happen's when i shoot at 25 yds, my POI is about 1 to 2 inches but to the left this time. So my question is : is the problem because of the mounts or something else? If yes, what mounts would you recommand me? Thanks

Inexpensive scope mounts will throw your scope out of alignment from the phenomenon you described. Try BKL mounts, they're designed to deal with that specific issue. If you're still off after that its that you're either canting the rifle which means you're leaning it one way or the other when you shoot or your barrel probably needs to be indexed because it isn't lined up with the breech block. In other words, it might be bent slightly.

I have encountered something similar and been in email correspondence with Sportsmatch about it. Note, this applies to all mounts designed to work within the range 9.5 - 11.5mm dovetails. If the ring was found to be centred on a 9.5mm dovetail it would be offset from centre by 1mm on a 11.5mm dovetail. 

Geometry indicates, in worst case, this would only cause a POI difference of 0.5mm at 25yds and 0.8mm at 90yds if zero'd at 50yds; I think there is something more to it than just the mounts. Like spysir, I suspect cant (i.e. holding the rifle off of vertical when you are taking a shot). A level will allow you to check that you are holding the rifle correctly.

I see the 'self centering' mounts are for pictanny / weaver rails, which (within the specified manufacturing tolerances) are one width. The problem arises when the mount is sold as being suitable for a range of dovetail widths. 

Sportsmatch sell a windage adjustable mount (ATP65 and ATP66) that can be used to centralise the scope.

And no, before anyone thinks I'm pushing a particular manufacturer, I'm not - just sharing my limited experience. As a sponsoring manufacturer, would Sportsmatch like to speak definitively?