Scope mounting

I don’t know much about scope mounting, but I’m under the impression you need special torque limited tools, like fix it sticks, and then torque the screws or bolts down using a manufacturer specified torque. But IDK.

recentky, I took my scope and rifle to have it installed professionally using a large QD mount. I chose that mount because the rifle is for FT and I want to be able to switch it off easily for a pistol scope.

suffice it to say the scope seemed fine when I picked up the rifle after having it mounted, but a couple of days later there was significant play in the mount. Not where the mount is attached to the rifle, but the scope was moving side to side in the mount. I tightened it down by hand, and it seems secure for now. 

What should I do?

Best option is possibly a Wheeler (or similar) torque driver. Not extremely expensive and they work pretty well. Another suggestion that I've read in the past is to tighten allen head screws on the top strap using only the short end of a standard allen wrench for less leverage to avoid over-tightening. Base screws can be tighter. I'm going to guess that most people over-tighten the top strap screws.

No torque wrench needed. Use the short side of the Allen wrench like has already been recommended. As far as the scope and rings go. Best advice is to get a good set of rings and stop removing your scope on you FT rig. Maybe get another scope for your other gun?

That's probably not the advice you were looking for but it's sound advice none the less.

If the mount is on a PCP rifle all that is needed is hand tight. There is no need for a torque wrench or to tighten to a torque value to make you sleep easy at night.😉

There are too many people who think that a mount/scope needs to be tightened really well on a PCP to prevent even a half-millimeter of movement. If you want to see how solid the mount is even with just a hand-tightened mount put a laser on the scope and have the laser dot intersect with the crosshairs of your scope and have at it---bump your scope, tap it, lean your cheek on it, put the rifle (with the scope mounted) in a tight-fitting soft rifle case, smile or even stare at it hard long enough. You'll see that when you stop the dot returns back to its original position. 

If the mount is on a PCP rifle all that is needed is hand tight. There is no need for a torque wrench or to tighten to a torque value to make you sleep easy at night.😉

There are too many people who think that a mount/scope needs to be tightened really well on a PCP to prevent even a half-millimeter of movement. If you want to see how solid the mount is even with just a hand-tightened mount put a laser on the scope and have the laser dot intersect with the crosshairs of your scope and have at it---bump your scope, tap it, lean your cheek on it, put the rifle (with the scope mounted) in a tight-fitting soft rifle case, smile or even stare at it hard long enough. You'll see that when you stop the dot returns back to its original position.

I would hope it would still match the crosshair. But would it still match the POI/barrel? Possibly. Possibly not. But it is correct that a PCP is MUCH less likely to move a scope than is a springer or gas ram. I often use finger pressure only to gauge this but I do believe a torque wrench will aid most people in getting acceptable consistent tightness across platforms.