• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Scope Mounting on a Gamo Hunter Ext Pro

I have a Gamo Hunter Ext Pro .22 cal with a BugBuster 3x9 mounted in Hawke "low" rings. Looking for some ideas on how to move this extremely short scope a little further back (too much eye relief currently) on the rifle. Thing is, I am maxed out right now in terms of rearward scope placement, mainly because of Gamo's "recoil reducing" scope mounting rail. The rear ring is RIGHT at the start of the short "recoil reducing" rail section, meaning nowhere to go further back with it. I was thinking about maybe using the Hawke "extended" ring set, but would have to go to the "medium" height rings (Hawke has no "low" extended rings available) which will raise the little BugBuster up some, and possibly screw up my now-very-decent cheekweld on the stock. Not sure what to do here, other than use another scope other than the BugBuster. It's always SOMETHING.....

If you have the 11 mm Dove tail add a picatinny, "it will most likely raise the scope, or maybe something like this?
1715949031143.png

I have a Gamo Hunter Ext Pro .22 cal with a BugBuster 3x9 mounted in Hawke "low" rings. Looking for some ideas on how to move this extremely short scope a little further back (too much eye relief currently) on the rifle. Thing is, I am maxed out right now in terms of rearward scope placement, mainly because of Gamo's "recoil reducing" scope mounting rail. The rear ring is RIGHT at the start of the short "recoil reducing" rail section, meaning nowhere to go further back with it. I was thinking about maybe using the Hawke "extended" ring set, but would have to go to the "medium" height rings (Hawke has no "low" extended rings available) which will raise the little BugBuster up some, and possibly screw up my now-very-decent cheekweld on the stock. Not sure what to do here, other than use another scope other than the BugBuster. It's always SOMETHING.....
move the rings on the scope ,both rings on the front part of the scope , i have the same on a pistol , both rings together or just one ring just have to be careful handling the gun not to bash the scope .

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think my choices (IF keeping the 3x9 BugBuster) are: #1/Cheapest-- just remove the rear portion of the Gamo RRR, and move the front part (the "long" section) of the rail towards the rear of the receiver, and then remount the scope using my existing Hawke low rings. I don't think I need more than 3/4 to maybe a max of 1" rearward movement of the scope, to gain the proper eye relief. Of course, this method will negate the recoil absorption feature of the RRR, if in fact there ever WAS any benefit (gimmick comes to mind here) to that two piece RRR rail. Choice #2--is a LOT more costly: Purchase the "longer" (of the two available) Hawke cantilever ring set, and RETAIN the 2-piece RRR. I hate that if I DO use THIS method, I have to spend more cash and the scope height will be significantly higher (no low height cantilever rings from Hawke, the medium height is the "lowest" available). I'll probably lose my good cheek weld as a result. Choice #3: Completely remove the RRR, and remount the scope directly to the dovetail cut into the receiver tube. May need medium height rings, though, to get the scope back to same height as current because of the RRR now gone.

For beerthief--the "install both rings on the front of the scope" idea won't fly on the BugBuster, not enough scope "tube" to do that. And no way just using ONE mounting ring will cut it. That BugBuster is pretty heavy, and this is a bona-fide 27+ft lb energy rifle.

Reactions: HPP-Mechanic