• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Scope Mount for HW77

The two piece Sportsmatch high. There should be no need for the more complicated fully adjustable versions. AoA should have them.. Don't order over the net. They'll kill you on shipping. If you call in the order and complain about their online shipping calculator they'll ship them cheaper in a small flat rate box.

The two piece Sportsmatch high. There should be no need for the more complicated fully adjustable versions. AoA should have them.. Don't order over the net. They'll kill you on shipping. If you call in the order and complain about their online shipping calculator they'll ship them cheaper in a small flat rate box.
Many reasons for fully adjustable mounts in my experience. The barrel might not be aligned to the dovetails, the scope should be optically centered within one full turn of the adjusters according to most all scope mfgrs, and many mounts/ rifles do not allow that. With an adjustable mount you can be certain the scope stays within mfgr specs.

Many reasons for fully adjustable mounts in my experience. The barrel might not be aligned to the dovetails, the scope should be optically centered within one full turn of the adjusters according to most all scope mfgrs, and many mounts/ rifles do not allow that. With an adjustable mount you can be certain the scope stays within mfgr specs.
That's all generally true and I totally agree with your logic. I've got a shop mule Hawke Vantage scope that's survived on dozens of piston guns including my RX1 and several R1s. The only reason it survived is because I adjusted drifted and drooped barrels on all my Weihrauchs including my 97. It's also a part of every tune I do. That confirms what you said. Running scopes far from optical center is bad for them. Especially on springers.

My contention about the fully adjustable rings is they're not easy for most people to understand and work with. The 77 isn't really known for terrible barrel alignment and IMO the fully adjustable mounts might introduce more problems than they are worth. That's just me. In a perfect world we wouldn't need them and when done right they certainly don't hurt.

My opinion is it's better to align the barrel than band aid the scope mounts.

What a massive scope for HFT.
I have a MTC Viper 10X44 mounted with two piece Sportmatch mounts. No need for adjustable ones.
The lower the scope, the better.
In the US HFT is quite different then in the UK and other countries. We can use up 20fpe and 16x magnification we can also "range find" via the AO. High mounts are often used as is "flattens" the trajectory curve over a larger distance than a low mounts do.

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
That's all generally true and I totally agree with your logic. I've got a shop mule Hawke Vantage scope that's survived on dozens of piston guns including my RX1 and several R1s. The only reason it survived is because I adjusted drifted and drooped barrels on all my Weihrauchs including my 97. It's also a part of every tune I do. That confirms what you said. Running scopes far from optical center is bad for them. Especially on springers.

My contention about the fully adjustable rings is they're not easy for most people to understand and work with. The 77 isn't really known for terrible barrel alignment and IMO the fully adjustable mounts might introduce more problems than they are worth. That's just me. In a perfect world we wouldn't need them and when done right they certainly don't hurt.

My opinion is it's better to align the barrel than band aid the scope mounts.
I agree with you on aligning the barrel, but for folks just getting started, that would be more of a challenge than adjustable mounts, in my opinion...

Reactions: JP806TX
In the US HFT is quite different then in the UK and other countries. We can use up 20fpe and 16x magnification we can also "range find" via the AO. High mounts are often used as is "flattens" the trajectory curve over a larger distance than a low mounts do.
What is the difference with FT then if you also aloud to range find?

Reactions: AirShot
Totally agree with post #9 and #10.
I would stay away from two piece adjustable rings ... too easy to put tension on your scope tube if you do not know what you are doing.

In general these are the major differences between USA Hunter FT and international HFT (please check online for exact wording of rules as this is my summary from memory)

International HFT
1. No sitting shots allowed. Lane peg touch by some part of the body and trigger finger behind the line.(most shoot prone)
2.No adjusting the scope (stock or rifle) during the match. Eyeball range estimation. some of your targets are going to be blurry
3. Power <12 FPE.
4. two points to knock target over. One point for face plate hit
5. One shot per target
6. Targets are set at varying distances/elevations from 8-45 yards

USA Hunter FT
1. most sit on a bucket/seat and use shooting sticks
2. Maximum 16X power magnification on scope. May adjust parallax to focus but may not touch Turrets
3. Power <20 FPE
4. One point per knock down. zero point if target does not fall
5. two shots per target.
6. Targets are set at varying distances/elevations from 10-55 yards

---
And then there's the Extreme Hunter FT shot in the USA...someone else may need to chime in as I'm not familiar with that venue.

Last edited:
New to airguns and settling up my HW77 for Hunter Field Target. I’m looking for mount suggestions, I.e., one piece, two piece, BKL, RWS, etc. I‘ll be mounting a Hawke Airmax 30 6-24x 50 SFP. Thanks, Tom
BKL-301 - 300 series 30mm. They r a double strap type ring. This works ! Especially for strong spring air rifles. This is what I used for my HW 97K. I have a 1 hole 5 shot group I need to get framed,( freaking awesome ). I did have to shim the rear ring. I use playing cards for that. I'll swear by BKL. I have a B-46 U/L chinese air rifle with a Browning moniker. Their quality has improved alot. Nothing would could keep any scope from creeping or twisting on this monster. I finally got some BKL ( triple strap ) ( I repeat, TRIPLE STRAP ) rings. Problem solved. I use BKL exclusively now. I wish they could cut me a break on their price since I keep buying their product. I have them on,,,,,5 of my air-rifles. And will be on the sixth.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a drooper mount. The 77 doesn't normally have significant droop. If you want to get a drooper mount to be safe it won't hurt. Either way stay with the Sportsmatch rings. They're the best and they'll never move with the included recoil pin.

BTW despite how popular it is, shimming scope rings is a bad idea because you're just jacking up one end of the scope. You've essentially bending the scope tube with two uneven parallel surfaces. A drooper mount tilts the whole scope. So does fully adjustable mounts when down right.

Reactions: fishing43