• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope issues

Trying to get my Benjamin Prowler break barrel sighted in. When I first got the rifle, I used the Center point 4x32 scope it came with.
I got the windage adjusted properly with very little issue, however, the elevation is cranked all the way "up" and the gun is still shooting too low.
I added a few "shims" to the rear scope mount, to raise up the rear in hopes it would correct this. I have it shimmed so much you can see the tip of the barrel in the bottom of the scope, and it still shoots too low, it's almost there! But not quite.

I got a different scope , a 3-9x40,, exact same issue with this one , maxed out all the way and still shoots too low. This sçope has a direct dovetail mount, no round mounts, so I can't shim this one to try that out.. I am a beginner, what the hell am I doing wrong here ? 2 Scopes can't be off, any advice is appreciated.
I have been doing and am currently doing research on it, just looking for live advice 👍👍

By saying it's shooting too low, I mean the POI is lower the center of my cross hairs. I need to lower the cross hairs more to match the POI, but I'm out of clicks

Last edited:
Lets see some pictures of how this scope is installed

IMG_20220801_190217178_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220801_190205087.jpg

IMG_20220801_190245561.jpg

IMG_20220801_190417854.jpg

Well that's new. Never seen a scope/mount setup like that before.

Is the front objective sitting on the main tube?
Yea apparently it's a newer thing, I mean the scope was $40 on ebay so it's cheap lol, but it holds firm and doesn't seem to shift at all, ive shot about 100 rounds today trying to zero it in.
And no the front objective is not touching the main tube. I took a picture to make sure that's what you meant lol 👍, I'm still a newb.

IMG_20220801_191142916_HDR.jpg

Yea apparently it's a newer thing, I mean the scope was $40 on ebay so it's cheap lol, but it holds firm and doesn't seem to shift at all, ive shot about 100 rounds today trying to zero it in.
And no the front objective is not touching the main tube. I took a picture to make sure that's what you meant lol 👍, I'm still a newb.

View attachment 280168
It's supposed to mount both 20mm picatinny and 11 mm dovetail. The two brackets on the outside come off for the picatinny mount

Thats exactly what I was looking for and yeah that looks good. Look down the whole length of the tube and at the barrel. Does the barrel look like it is pointing excessively downward compared to the tube? If so, you'll probably just want to have the gun warrantied out, especially since you already have the scope shimmed with no luck.

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
Thats exactly what I was looking for and yeah that looks good. Look down the whole length of the tube and at the barrel. Does the barrel look like it is pointing excessively downward compared to the tube? If so, you'll probably just want to have the gun warrantied out, especially since you already have the scope shimmed with no luck.
Lemme look.....

Now that you say that, yep. It's drooping downward towards the tip of the barrel.Its almost like the plastic molding around it isn't shaped correctly. Definitely a noticeable downward "rake". I double checked the break barrel part to ensure it was closed all the way, But yea man I think you're correct here. I got it from Bass Pro a few weeks ago I'll go talk to them about a return policy , I've been looking into a different springer with a bipod anyway, hence the other post I had lol, but yea thank you squirrel👍👍 any suggestions on a good Springer ? I'll get a pcp eventually, but for now I think break barrel while I'm still new

Now that you say that, yep. It's drooping downward towards the tip of the barrel.Its almost like the plastic molding around it isn't shaped correctly. Definitely a noticeable downward "rake". I double checked the break barrel part to ensure it was closed all the way, But yea man I think you're correct here. I got it from Bass Pro a few weeks ago I'll go talk to them about a return policy , I've been looking into a different springer with a bipod anyway, hence the other post I had lol, but yea thank you squirrel👍👍 any suggestions on a good Springer ? I'll get a pcp eventually, but for now I think break barrel while I'm still new
Spend a little more and avoid all the heartache man. We've all been exactly where you are now and it gets old fast. An HW50S from Krale will keep you happy for years. Its a little lower powered but it is still more than capable of taking game like rabbit and squirrel out to 40yds give or take depending on how good of a shot you are. In all honesty, it's probably one of my favorite guns.

That gun definitely has some barrel droop as well but that is to compensate for the iron sights. An RWS Lockdown Mount takes care of that easy peasy though.

Spend a little more and avoid all the heartache man. We've all been exactly where you are now and it gets old fast. An HW50S from Krale will keep you happy for years. Its a little lower powered but it is still more than capable of taking game like rabbit and squirrel out to 40yds give or take depending on how good of a shot you are. In all honesty, it's probably one of my favorite guns.

That gun definitely has some barrel droop as well but that is to compensate for the iron sights. An RWS Lockdown Mount takes care of that easy peasy though.
Yea I think I will save a bit more and get something better lol, this is getting old ,it takes the fun out of shooting . That HW50 Kraken looks sweet, I like the wood grain finish. I'll do more research and see what fits me best , but I'm bumping up my budget to 300-500 . I think I might go pcp and avoid the double recoil that comes with break barrels.

Solid idea to have a backup👍 they're are a few springers I've been looking at , right around 2-250 for em, I really really really want the Benjamin Aramada🤣but thats like pro level and I'm not there , sexy rifle though. Thanks for the tips Sqwirl, food for thought
No problem man. Best of luck with whichever route you go!

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
Sublimemoon0000,

What you have described is a very common problem/issue in the airgun world.
First of all, if you cranked any budget scope too far in any direction, until it stops, damage can and usually does occur. Avoid this at all costs. The solution is to get adjustable scope mounts. I personally use Sportsmatch fully adjustable mounts for all my airguns, regardless if it's a backyard pinker, or one of my high end competition guns. The mounts are probably more expensive than the scope, but it's what is needed. There are some other companies that make fully adjustable scope mounts, but I haven't used any others than Sportsmatch.
If you check out my YouTube channel Field Target Tech, I have a video or 2 explaining scope workings, how to optically center a scope, and why you should use adjustable rings. I'm not the best cinematographer, I kinda suck, but the information will be useful to you in this situation.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Sublimemoon0000,

What you have described is a very common problem/issue in the airgun world.
First of all, if you cranked any budget scope too far in any direction, until it stops, damage can and usually does occur. Avoid this at all costs. The solution is to get adjustable scope mounts. I personally use Sportsmatch fully adjustable mounts for all my airguns, regardless if it's a backyard pinker, or one of my high end competition guns. The mounts are probably more expensive than the scope, but it's what is needed. There are some other companies that make fully adjustable scope mounts, but I haven't used any others than Sportsmatch.
If you check out my YouTube channel Field Target Tech, I have a video or 2 explaining scope workings, how to optically center a scope, and why you should use adjustable rings. I'm not the best cinematographer, I kinda suck, but the information will be useful to you in this situation.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
First off Tom, I appreciate the reply and the information, incredibly useful actually. I subscribed to your YouTube channel and just watched the episode on optically centering and the adjustable scope mounts,👍 I mean that's the exact problem I am having, like exactly.

I do have a question about seeing the barrel in the bottom of the scope. The first scope I tried , that came with the gun, I shimmed it so high in the rear, you can see the greyish blob in the bottom of the scope, that is the barrel. The thing that sucks is that this is the closest I've gotten to getting it zeroed! It's soooo close man like 4 Inches too low still , at 10-12 yards.

So won't I have this same issue,even with adjustable rings ?? It seems like I'm going to have to hike the back end of the scope a lot, to get it zeroed, I would rather not see any barrel lol.
Should I get raised adjustable rings ? Like some that are overall taller ?

Get a yard stick and put one end on the breech block with the rest hanging down the length of the barrel. It will show you how much droop your barrel has.
You could bend it and I know many do, but if it's under warranty, send it back and put the money towards something better.

p.s. - don't buy cheap scopes on Amazon to stick on springers :)