Scope Input Wanted for FX Wildcat 22

Gents/Ladies,

The household comptroller has been kind enough to release some funds and let me purchase a new toy, which is why I'm seeking guidance from you folks about a new optic. I purchased a used MKI Wildcat 22 from AoA (I'm lucky enough to live 20 mins away) and it needs a scope. The Wildcat will mostly be used for pest birds and shooting in the back yard. I'm only looking at FFP scopes in the mid magnification range. I currently own an Optisan EVX 4-16x44 F1 that sits atop my FX Royale 400. I've been very pleased with the scope and I'm tempted to get a second one for the WC. The glass is clear and bright and the turret tracking has been dead on. I'm also interested in the Discovery lineup of scopes from EdgunWest. They seem to be a bargain and I don't want to pay more than I need to get what I want. At the farther end of the price scale I'm considering the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44.

I've watched Joe's reviews on the Discovery and Athlon Midas TAC scopes, that's why they are being considered. I don't have any personal experience with Discovery Optics or Athlon so I'd appreciate anyone who does giving input. They all have similar specs and I'm sure they would all get the job done. I'm pounding my head wondering if I should save a buck (Discovery $225-325), get what I'm already happy with (Optisan $489) or spend the money for the Midas TAC ($589 and probably the best of the bunch).

I'm blessed to have such a dilemma and I wife who puts up with my hobbies.

I own the Athlon Argos BTR FFP 6-24x50 and also the new Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP and they're both great for the money. The Diamondback I like better of the two by quite a bit, it just feels like quality in my hands - the clarity is great from edge to edge even at higher magnifications, optics are crisp and clear, the turrets are easy to turn yet rigid enough to stay put, the focus knob is smooth, there is plenty of eye relief, tracking is accurate and so far flawless. The scope focuses down to 10 yards and comes with bikini covers, a sun shade and a no questions asked, transferrable, lifetime warranty! Both scopes are a great buy and are raising the bar on less expensive FFP scopes. As a matter of fact, cheaper FFP scopes that are actually worth owning weren't even an option just a few years ago! I got my Athlon Argos BTR for about $319 new from Amazon with free 2nd day air and the Vortex Diamondback was a smoking deal through Optics Planet for $255, also with free 2nd day air. The Diamondback deal was passed along by another member on this board. Quite a few people got in on the deal. If you keep an eye out, I'm sure Optics Planet will have them on sale again or have a coupon code that works for the Diamondback 6-24x50mm FFP. I forgot to mention...the Diamondback Tactical FFP scope I've been raving about also comes in a 4-16x44mm version too! I think it's regularly like $349, but like I said, Optics Planet always has sales and coupon codes that offer a discount.

I know these aren't the scopes you asked about but I like them both better than the Discovery scopes I've looked through and messed with, although they weren't the highest priced Discovery optics. The Diamondback FFP is a less expensive but viable option if you don't want to spend $589 on the Midas TAC, or even $489 on the Optisan. I really do like the Diamondback FFP a lot, almost as much as some of my much more expensive scopes. I hope you don't mind me recommending something you didn't ask about directly, I just think is a super buy and a terrific scope for under $300. Stoti

1537766022_6694237375ba87286cf8373.89888496_20180815_202301_resized.jpg

1537766042_1878990315ba8729a757733.70390070_20180815_202311_resized.jpg

I have some of the different Athlon FFP scopes that are used every day. Just purchased my first 6-24x50 FFP Vortex. What a great scope. Glass is as clear or better then the Athlon, BUT, the turrets are a whole step above. They are crisp clicks changing and the marks line up exactly. I like my Athlon's but the clicking is sort of mushy and the lines don't line up. sylvan

Statichost - I've heard good things about the SWFA SS scopes. I tried a fixed 10x and I found the eye relief to be very fusy, is that an issue with the 3-15? I did really like the open diamond reticle of the SWFA SS. I have a Nikon 3-9 EFR scope sitting atop a bolt action 22 that I could borrow until Black Friday and I may do that. I'm not sure I have that much patience. 

Csextion - I am interested in the 4.5-18x44 Discovery as a don't need the higher mag. I assume you've been happy with your Discovery.

I'm on a business trip in Montana. I went to a large locally owned sporting goods store that carries Vortex Optics. Unfortunately they were sold out of the Diamondback TAC scopes. I'll try a few shops near my home when I return. My plan now is to try the Vortex in person and then make a decision. If I like the Vortex as much as my Optisan EVX I'll go with the Vortex and save a few dollars. One potential downside I saw with the Vortex specs is that they list the lowest parallax adjustability as 20yds, I'd prefer at least 15yds. It may just be how the scope is marked, I'd like to lay hands on it and find out.

Thanks for all the inputs. 

Apparently the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 is not yet readily available in my area. I called multiple Vortex dealers and they either hadn't received any yet or had already sold out and didn't know when they would be getting more.

Last night I happened to notice SWFA is having a Fall sale offering 10% off and free shipping. That was all the nudging I needed to get me to make a decision. I ordered the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 from SWFA. Unfortunately it is on back order so my wait will be extended a bit. I took the Wildcat to the dairy yesterday for a bit of pesting and the Nikon 3-9 EFR was up to the task. I readily admit the Midas Tac is more scope than the rifle needs, but anything worth doing is worth over doing. 

I bough the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP4-16-44 off at Optics Planet for $ 305.00 shipped. I bought it to put on my Tipan Veteran. I a, trying to decide on 3 different scopes I have to see which one stays on gun. A Hawke FFP 6-24-50 or Diamondback FFP 4-16x44 or Viper Connect 3-12x24 . All three were bought just for the veteran .22 shorty. Tough choice . M

Metalmaniac - Have you you received your Vortex Tac yet? I'm very curious to see hear what your opinion is. One of my concerns about the Vortex Tactical 4-16 is that it specs as only adjusting parallax to 20yds. I wasn't sure if that was just a marking on the scope or if it really won't adjust less than than, otherwise the scope sounds like a home run at a very attractive price.

The Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 I ordered from SWFA is still on backorder so it's not too late to cancel it and try the Vortex.

20 yards is correct. I was hoping for a little less yardage no room past 20 on wheel definate bummer on this scope. The 6-24x50 does focus to ten yards. The scope is clear. I love the reticle. The turrets are pretty crisp. The only things I don’t like are no lighted recticle and only 20 yard parallax. Other than that it is great for the money.

The Athlon scopes are great also I have 2 of them. I was hoping the Vortex had better glass. It may have slightly better glass.