Scope for pesting

I am looking for a scope for my new setup. EDGUN LESHIY 2 BADGER (REPR-X) in .30
I have all kinds of optics, but can't find the right one for quick shots. I try to keep both eyes
open as i come from the shotgun world. Repeat shots are a must with iguana's, and they don't
stay still, so you have to keep finding them in the optic. Shots aren't long range, 50 yds and under.
It's those close shots that are the ones that get me.
I found this one. midwayusa.com/product/1018441940?pid=141861
What does the Airgun Nation think....

Hello I have a L2 in 22 cal the setup I use is a Yankee Hill riser with an Eotech 552 paired with a 3x Burris magifier w/side folding and qd mount so it can be popped of when using nv (pvs14). I generally shoot at 45yds (max of my range) with no issues. I have taken many pests out to 60 yds w/o any problems. Well that is my setup and works very well for me, hope this helps. Eric.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369

Vortex strike eagle. Have one on a close range pest blaster and it works great.

Have this one on my EdGun R5m in .177. Only thing I don't like about it is the non lit reticule. Other than that it is a great optic

Reactions: SHOMER
This is a very light and very bright scope. I have several on my springers with no issues. I shoot 55 yards and under with occasional 80 yard shots. I had one scope with focus issues. Hawke lifetime warranty had a replacement to my door in two weeks.

Reactions: sirromdj
Thanks for the help. I think i will go with the Vector 4-16 x 44. JaceSpace has a lot of experience on the lizards, so i think that set-up will be just right. I will let you know in a few weeks.
Can I contact you JaceSpace for a hunt? I had to leave my motorhome in Florida because when it was time to head home 2 weeks ago, there was a Northeaster hitting Jersey. Now I have to return!!

doesnt matter brand or price really .. for a quick shot something light with a forgiving eyebox in about 4x ... a 3-12 yada yada can be ok, but usually at the expense of being 'three' times heavier than a fixed 4x ... that said i use a gamo 4x on my prod to waste moving squirrels close in around my coop ... i literally also use an '8$' tasco i picked up at wallyworld for ultra close in work like hitting mice in a shed at ~8 feet...

20240221_090004.jpg

20240221_085610.jpg

Reactions: Berserkeley Mike
Mr. Brocock, check out the athlon helos btr 1-4.5x24 huge field of view very good scope for 50 yards and in pesting . I often see these on sale on Amazon or at cameraland from $350 to $400.
By far my favorite hunter

For really close work my Hawke Vantage 2-7 works fine but it doesn't allow me to see paper targets at 30 yards very well. I can find squirrels fine at 6X, however. I just ordered a Vector Vantage 6-24 SFP from Krale yesterday. I like having 24 power for target shooting but I want to be able to see the reticle at 6X too. That is not possible for me on my Arken 6-24 FFP. Works well with my Athlon Talos 6-24 SFP. I occasionally want to turn up the magnification for shots were the target is only partially visible.

I like bullpups which put the scope way up over the gun which makes close range shots extra challenging. Your Leshy looks conventional so the scope should be lower but if you use a ballistics program I think it will still show you you need to aim a bit high at really short range. For my bullpups I need to aim high all the way to about 20 yards. It's probably only necessary to 10 or 15 for your gun.

For really close work my Hawke Vantage 2-7 works fine but it doesn't allow me to see paper targets at 30 yards very well. I can find squirrels fine at 6X, however. I just ordered a Vector Vantage 6-24 SFP from Krale yesterday. I like having 24 power for target shooting but I want to be able to see the reticle at 6X too. That is not possible for me on my Arken 6-24 FFP. Works well with my Athlon Talos 6-24 SFP. I occasionally want to turn up the magnification for shots were the target is only partially visible.

I like bullpups which put the scope way up over the gun which makes close range shots extra challenging. Your Leshy looks conventional so the scope should be lower but if you use a ballistics program I think it will still show you you need to aim a bit high at really short range. For my bullpups I need to aim high all the way to about 20 yards. It's probably only necessary to 10 or 15 for your gun.

I've never owned a bullpup but do own a Leshiy2. It's not scoped currently & I do not have my previous scope height in Chairgun but I believe others have mentioned scope over bore heights of greater than 2". Maybe close to 3".

Isn't that in bullpup territory?

In my case clearing the R2D2 head has been the issue.

@Mr.Brocock you mentioned both eyes open. I can shoot both eyes open with my Dedal Stalker 6x but that scope is hard to find & maybe not the best for fast, close shots.

I had the original Immersive 5x30 & I think that would be great for fast, close shots but it was definitely not a both eyes open scope for me. Not sure about the new 5x30 Pro. That probably wouldn't be enough magnification for me at 50 yards either.

Yes, 2-3 inches is bullpup territory. I've missed several squirrels inside of 20 yards because I forgot to aim high. PITA. Taking the time to determine the range, get the holdover and then make the shot is not consistently possible. Squirrel runs off. My rule of thumb is for 10 yard shots I need to aim two dots high. That is not perfect but if I'd remembered to do it I think I would have got the squirrels. I have a swinging target 10 yards from my back porch for practice.

The Arken Zulus or similar scope may be the best answer. It has a ballistic program and a range finder built in so it will adjust your aim point for you. But it isn't my definition of cheap. You'd still have to take a moment for the rangefinder to do it's thing.

Reactions: Nattboy
Yes, 2-3 inches is bullpup territory. I've missed several squirrels inside of 20 yards because I forgot to aim high. PITA. Taking the time to determine the range, get the holdover and then make the shot is not consistently possible. Squirrel runs off. My rule of thumb is for 10 yard shots I need to aim two dots high. That is not perfect but if I'd remembered to do it I think I would have got the squirrels. I have a swinging target 10 yards from my back porch for practice.

The Arken Zulus or similar scope may be the best answer. It has a ballistic program and a range finder built in so it will adjust your aim point for you. But it isn't my definition of cheap. You'd still have to take a moment for the rangefinder to do it's thing.

Completely understand. That's really the one strike against my Leshiy 2 & Classics. Great for hiking but do have that scope over bore height issue for close range pests.

In my case I have an extra I just tuned to shoot a heavy pellet at slow speed. But I wouldn't want to shoot it at Iguanas 50 yards away.

If squirrels move back in at my cabin I will definitely get a dedicated rifle for that task. I don't like dealing with holdover at close range, especially when on low power for squirrels that don't sit still for long.

This is a very light and very bright scope. I have several on my springers with no issues. I shoot 55 yards and under with occasional 80 yard shots. I had one scope with focus issues. Hawke lifetime warranty had a replacement to my door in two weeks.

Looking at this scope for my new HW 30s. The warranty is important to me for sure. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: maxtrouble

Thanks for the FFP versus SFP comparisons. I'm in the same boat.