• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope for older eyes

I’m 61, needed reading glasses for about 10 years and now I have a distance prescription as well. Up close I can’t read without my glasses, distance I’m ok but I can’t see real clear. I just bought an Impact M3 in .22 and I need a scope for it. I plan on plinking and target shooting, no hunting. Even some shooting competition in the future would be fun even if I finish last, lol. What are some scopes I should look at?
Edit: $1500 budget
Thanks all

Reactions: whyzee and tibor
The best thing you can do is to look through as many as you can get behind. This will help you choose what best meets your needs. The closest thing to a single scope that does everything is a Delta Stryker 5-50. They are made in Japan, have great glass, resonably good turrets, great tracking and can focus down to 10 yards. Not often will you need less than 5x or more than 50x. The only drawback is size and weight. They are just above your budget but can sometimes be found used at 1500 or less.

Reactions: Stephen0351
Take a look at the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 FFP and Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 FFP (this one has many reticles to choose from). I'm 60 and have an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA and can see the reticle easily with nice glass and excellent warranty. Meopta has German glass built really well. Another one is the new Arken scopes that focus down to 10yds....nice FFP scopes under $400 with Japanese glass.

Last edited:
I’m 61 as well and have been wearing contacts for about 10 years. Since you’re wearing glasses you should have no problem adjusting the scope to your vision. The difficult part may be finding a reticle that you like. Zeiss,Nightforce,March are some brands that work for me, the last two may be a few hundred dollars over your budget.
Good luck! You’ll probably go through a few before you find the one that’s just right.

I’m 61, needed reading glasses for about 10 years and now I have a distance prescription as well. Up close I can’t read without my glasses, distance I’m ok but I can’t see real clear. I just bought an Impact M3 in .22 and I need a scope for it. I plan on plinking and target shooting, no hunting. Even some shooting competition in the future would be fun even if I finish last, lol. What are some scopes I should look at?
Thanks all
Well lucky you, you are an hour North of me and I've got SCOPES you can peer through and even shoot. I've got 1.5 decades on you and use Progressive lenses, generally no issue until you get into the 24x range but you get use to it.

Too many to list! Spend some time on this forum. You’ll have to decide if a ffp or a sfp works best for you. A ffp scope may not work well under 6x for your eyes. I have the new lightweight Arken on backorder. Anxious to see how well it looks next to my Nightforce.
Another couple of brands that rarely get mentioned on this forum is German Precision Optics and Tract….

Well lucky you, you are an hour North of me and I've got SCOPES you can peer through and even shoot. I've got 1.5 decades on you and use Progressive lenses, generally no issue until you get into the 24x range but you get use to it.
Hogkiller, I appreciate your offer and would love to take you up on it in the near future. So far I just have the M3, I did order a cpl magazines from Europe (Carm) earlier today as well as a cpl tins of pellets from Airgun Depot. And I can surely use some advice and knowledge on airguns!

Last edited:
Hogkiller, I appreciate your offer and would love to take you up on it in the near future. So far I just have the M3, I did order a cpl magazines from Europe (Carm) earlier today as well as a cpl tins of pellets from Airgun Depot. And I can surely use some advice and knowledge on airg
Hogkiller, I appreciate your offer and would love to take you up on it in the near future. So far I just have the M3, I did order a cpl magazines from Europe (Carm) earlier today as well as a cpl tins of pellets from Airgun Depot. And I can surely use some advice and knowledge on airguns!
Check out Orion the Iguana Hunter Mags, they work quite well. I have a few CARM's zero issues with them, nice guy to deal with also.

Last edited:
I'm 69 and have a cornucopia of scopes that all seem to work ok for my eyes. I have a new Arken EPL 6x24 that is my only FFP scope and have taken a liking to it. I have an Element Helix 6x24 SFP that is a bit tough to find the sweet spot, but once found is very good. I have an MTC Viper Connect 3x 12 that has almost a zero eye relief that I really like (you either love or hate these!) and I have a Hawke Touch 6x24 SFP with a nice big IR that I also like. The last is an ATN Pro 4K that is the digital 3x14 model that I use for NV and taking videos that is different from the glass scopes (non-digital) but I can still see through it well enough to use it - it's especially good for shooting the night critters.

As others have said, the best way to see if the scope fits you is if you can look through it before buying... sound advice!

I am 77 and have been wearing glasses for about 64 years now. I was nearsighted, so never any problem with iron sights, and just about any scope was good until I started gettin g cataracts. Surgery corrected that and now I would be more on the farsighted side, needing reading glasses for close up. Having worn glasses all these years it is second nature to wake up and reach for them, so I got some progressives, plain glass up top, and readers on the bottom. I like Leupold scopes, along with the Hawke Airmax and Sidewinder series. Get a higher quality optic and you will not be disappointed, expecially in newer types. I have an old Redfield 4-12 adjustable objective, from the first year they came out and it just got to the point where it would not focus with my eyes, replaced it with a new Leupold side focus and it is crystal clear.

Thanks all
I'm 61 myself, not for long, very soon to be 62. On a 1500 dollar budget I think you should be looking used and get the best you can. You can easily get a Vortex Razor HD FFP scope that is barely used for under that budget. I don't own one, but have spent a good bit of time behind a friends 4.5-22x50 on his 100yd benchrest centerfire, actually a poor choice for a benchrest rifle. I told him to get a target scope for it but he insisted on the Vortex for versatility. That makes no sense on a benchrest rifle, to each his own i guess. Parallax on his went down to 25 yards, not a problem for me but may be for someone that wants 20x+ mag on a 50ft target. For target shooting it is very good glass, turrets are fairly good by standards of 2.5k+ scopes, not quite there but very close. In daylight, his was virtually, not completely, indistinguishable with my lousy eyes these days from my top end Zeiss/Swarovski/Schmidt&Benders resolution. At dusk it fell away, I'm talking 45 minutes after sunset before it lost out to mine big time. But my scopes are hunting scopes catering more to low light than target shooting/daylight tactical shooting/etc.. I don't think there is a better bargain than those out there on the used market, and Vortex has a no excuses, no receipt needed lifetime warranty. They actually fix scopes, they are not throw aways they just send you a new one on warranty.

I am 63 and wear glasses. Also have a M3 that I shoot to 100 yards. I was in the same spot as you and I finally decided on a Maven. It is a little above your budget but considering it comes with all the accessories not so bad. Of all the scopes I own it has far and away the best glass. They also have smaller models for less.

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-4-bundle

Reactions: Deerstalker
83+ with glasses. My HW95L with Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm compact scope. Excellent.

4naxtL8l.jpg