• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope for my delta wolf

Hey everyone I have been looking at scopes for mostly benchrest and possibly extreme field target for my .22 cal delta wolf and am considering an athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56.
does anyone have any experience with the scope? Next everyone has it for $1699 except amazon which has it for $1478. Why? They are both gen ll , could one be an older model ? Thanks in advance for any information.
Mike

I have one. It's kind of my floater scope. If you're okay with a 25 yard minimum parallax, it's a good mid tier scope for the price. There are similar scopes in the same price range and specs coming out of LOW Japan that are close to it. You'll most likely have to spend over $3000 in the Alpha Class range for something better optically and mechanically. In regards to the price differences on Amazon and other sites, I'm not so sure why. I do know that like with everything else going up in price, I believe Athlon raised their prices as well.

Last edited:
Hi,
I agree with Peskadot. The Cronus G2 is great for the price range its in. I have them on my more expensive centerfires. No complaints except it isn't up to the expensive scopes in IQ and lacks some of the features in those $3000-ish scopes.

I was tempted to buy a Vortex G3 Rasor 6-36 however it didn't happen because I couldn't talk myself into spending the extra money but its on my list in the future to possibly get at some point. From what I read and saw in videos it has very good IQ, focuses at 10Y, has a great reticle, more magnification, etc. So basically its bridging a gap in the scope world by getting close to the tier 1 scopes.

For now I'll just keep the G2 Cronus scopes because other than ZCO, Tangent Theta, March HM, I doubt I'd be thrilled with the IQ in other scopes and those are Waaaay more expensive than the Cronus G2. The exception I might be happy with is that Vortex which can be had for not much more money than the Cronus G2 here and there???

The Athlon Chronus is a good scope, but if you are serious about shooting FT, you must get a scope that focuses down to 10 yards. The only Athlons that do that are the Midas-Tac and Helos BTR and maybe one other lesser model. Many top FT shooters use the Sightron SIII. It's a little larger, but a fantastic scope. I used to use a Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24 SFP with the 20X 1/2 mildot reticle. Ranges great and the reticles works great for HFT holdover.

Oh and as far as I know there's no G 2.5's in the Cronus 4.5-29's.
Shop around for the best deals. I've seen them for around for $1400 before. Or buy used and save more. If something doesn't seem right just send it back and Athlon will repair or replace the scope promptly.

Yes 25Y minimum focus at 29x but the lower you have the magnification the closer it'll focus, however you might not get it parallax free depending how low you go. I was able to shoot at 10Y on 4.5x on paper bulls but its not recommended unless you need to.

EFT and XFT are 20Y to 100Y so 25Y minimum focus works great.
For FT yes 10Y or slightly less minimum focus is desired though I've used 10M minimum focus with good results.

Reactions: Centercut