• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Scope for HW50?

I have several guns setup for field target and am kind of programmed for 16x to 50x and big, long and heavy scopes. That ain't gonna work on my HW50! Want a scope that has 3-4x on low end and at least 12x, preferably 16x plus on high end. Fully aware I don't need a scope above 7-9x but set in my ways, old guys are like that. Not going to spend more on scope than I paid for gun, most of my field target scopes cost more than gun but the HW50 is a now and then shooter. Due to HW50 recoil, is etched glass reticle a must? Need some suggestions. I am considering these but looking for suggestions. Hawke 3x9 Airmax (not 12x but might work)
UTG 3x12 or 4x16 swat etched glass reticle
3x9 Leupold efr, same as Hawke, Thanks, Don

I just mailed a standard 3-12 Talos back to Athlon yesterday. The HW50 killed it. The focus got blurry and changing magnification from 3x to 12x didn't make a difference. Only had about 2 tins on it. Will be selling it or putting on a non boinger when Athlon fixes or replaces it. I am under the understanding that the Talos is only rated for springers under 12 foot pounds. Athlon confirmed that my two Helos 4-20x50 are rated for any springer. I am keeping that e-mail, just in case there is an issue. Don

I just mailed a standard 3-12 Talos back to Athlon yesterday. The HW50 killed it. The focus got blurry and changing magnification from 3x to 12x didn't make a difference. Only had about 2 tins on it. Will be selling it or putting on a non boinger when Athlon fixes or replaces it. I am under the understanding that the Talos is only rated for springers under 12 foot pounds. Athlon confirmed that my two Helos 4-20x50 are rated for any springer. I am keeping that e-mail, just in case there is an issue. Don
Thats odd. My Talos has been sitting on a 15ftlb HW95 for over a year now. Maybe I got lucky

I've been shooting mine with a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32 AO up top with no problems after 2000 plus rds. With Sportsmatch medium rings it sits good and low, and the recoil stop pin keeps it all in place. Nice and compact even with the sunshade.

sun1 2.JPG

Sqwirl57, I found out the low end Athlon scopes were not springer rated after l bought Talos and a BTR Talos. I sold the BTR and hope Athlon warranties the Talos. Wish the optics companies would list scopes that are not springer rated in their adds. Don
Athlon will warranty it out for you without hesitation so no worrys there. As far as warranties go Athlon, Hawke, and Vortex really are top notch.

I have an Airmax 3-12x50 on my FWB Sport that I really like. Glass is clear and the reticle is very usable without too much clutter. The turrets feel like mush though and I really do wish is had a little more zoom on the higher end. 16x seems to be the sweet spot for.

The UTG 4-16x44 has been great too. I bought one 4yrs ago that has bounced from gun to gun, including magnums, and just won't die. The glass is what you expect from cheaper scope and the turrets aren't particularly accurate but it holds zero which is all I care about from that one.

The Hawke Vantage line is springer rated upto 12 fpe. I've run their 3-9x40 AO Vantage as a shop mule on dozens of springers including a few R1s. Still holding up fine. I run a non AO 4x Vantage with mildots on my HW50. It's an excellent combination for a squirrel gun. Thousands of rounds through that scope / gun combination.

I'm not saying that people should use the Vantage on >12 fpe springers but I've had good luck with them. I will add the biggest killer of springer scopes is barrel droop and I remove the droop on every gun I work on. That may be why I have better luck with scopes.

If you can afford the Airmax line, it has noticeably better glass than the Vantage and a nice etched glass reticle. If you want bigger magnification, look at the 4-12 Airmax if you go that route. Its almost indistinguishable from the 3-9 Airmax.

The Hawke Vantage line is springer rated upto 12 fpe. I've run their 3-9x40 AO Vantage as a shop mule on dozens of springers including a few R1s. Still holding up fine. I run a non AO 4x Vantage with mildots on my HW50. It's an excellent combination for a squirrel gun. Thousands of rounds through that scope / gun combination.

I'm not saying that people should use the Vantage on >12 fpe springers but I've had good luck with them. I will add the biggest killer of springer scopes is barrel droop and I remove the droop on every gun I work on. That may be why I have better luck with scopes.

If you can afford the Airmax line, it has noticeably better glass than the Vantage and a etched glass reticle. If you want bigger magnification, look at the 4-12 Airmax if you go that route. Its almost indistinguishable from the 3-9 Airmax.
Yep. I use the AO version of that Hawke 4x on my D48 for squirrels. Like you, no problems. Been shooting my HW98 with a Vantage 2-7 AO up top and it too is a durable scope that's given me no problems. Good budget glass.

Last edited:
Mycapt65, thanks for the info. I had a 4-12 Vantage on a pcp, I used for hunter field target, and had zero complaints. The glass was absolutely great in the Vantage. When they upped the magnification to 16x, I changed to a Sidwinder but the glass wasn't any better to me. My HW50, with Vortek kit, shoots at 12 foot pounds but recoiled is pretty intense. I hesitate to put anything on it that is not fully springer rated. Don

Mycapt65, thanks for the info. I had a 4-12 Vantage on a pcp, I used for hunter field target, and had zero complaints. The glass was absolutely great in the Vantage. When they upped the magnification to 16x, I changed to a Sidwinder but the glass wasn't any better to me. My HW50, with Vortek kit, shoots at 12 foot pounds but recoiled is pretty intense. I hesitate to put anything on it that is not fully springer rated. Don
Not to tell U what to do .... but HW50's can be a little harsh if over-sprung. If you clipped 1 or 2 coils, you might loose 25 fps, but have a much sweeter shooting gun? Depends what your looking for, but your maxing out the platform ... to make it different gun.