Scope for hw50

Another vote for the Airmax, I also had a 2-7x32 and the reticle is great. UTG makes good scopes for springers but heavier and bulkier unless you do the Bug Buster. The Hawke Vantage line is good as well if you want to spend less. I’m a big fan of Athlon but they are typically heavy and might not be what you’re looking for, the ones I like are all first focal plane. If you don’t mind the weight and want a FFP scope, the Midas Tac is hard to beat.

Reactions: drjjpdc78
Is a 3-9-40 to much. 

Not really. I have a 3-12x44 on an HW30, although in that case I had nowhere else to put that scope. I will probably sell it and get the 2-7x32 Airmax. I like the lower magnification for practicing offhand.

If you do want more magnification another scope I want to try is the Optisan CP 3-12x32.

Is a 3-9-40 to much. 

Definitely not. I am waiting on a HW97 and it will probably have a 4-16 power scope on it. My eyes aren’t as good as they once were and I need the extra help. Another thing to remember with the budget scopes is most of them will be a little distorted and not as bright at maximum magnification so you don’t want to have it set to full power if not needed. 

Is a 3-9-40 to much. 

Not really. I have a 3-12x44 on an HW30, although in that case I had nowhere else to put that scope. I will probably sell it and get the 2-7x32 Airmax. I like the lower magnification for practicing offhand.

If you do want more magnification another scope I want to try is the Optisan CP 3-12x32.

The Optisan CP 3-12x32 is an awesome scope. Well worth the money. Whomever designed it did an excellent job. I own two of them. Smaller than the Hawke 2-7x32.

Is a 3-9-40 to much. 

The Optisan CP 3-12x32 is an awesome scope. Well worth the money. Whomever designed it did an excellent job. I own two of them. Smaller than the Hawke 2-7x32.

I really need to try one. Seems like a great scope for the price.

I have the Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 for short distance from 7yards, actually on a RTI Priest2 for ratting
3-9x40 (best overall) on HW977
4-12x40 on HW30S
all of them are very good
a Vantage 4-12x40 on HW50S but it got problems with the parallax register(something loosen) and I've just received back from a warranty repair
All of my guns are sub 7,5J/5.5ft-lbs and I mostly use in 7-55yards range

My hw/r pretty good just on stock irons . I do scope but rarely..

Honestly when I do scope I find I'm set on 6 or 8 power for any range up to 100y. So the suggested 7x may do you well but them I may just come down who offering the best pricing at the time you add to cart a on any ..lol

Another maybe worth a look is the 3-12 athlon talos with it's no ? Asked lifetime warranty.

P.s...

Looks on a sale here at $151 ( the 3-12-sf mildot non illuminated).

Last edited:
Sorry guy .. ya, there's plenty of see through mounts out there , I don't like 'em cause your scopes going to be jacked up high off the receiver and was not too great as far as cheekweld to the stock ..

Now with that. Im able to add remove a scope off the same rifle. As needed with minimum if any real poi change .. no more then daily or overnight change..

Anyway I once figured the see through mounts would be nice but did not take long to chunk them on the shelve dust collecting..

I think they were weaver brand ..

I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was is there a ring/scope combination, that will allow me to see THROUGH the scope rings and still use the open sights on the rifle while the scope is still on?

No. There are some old see through rings for .22's, but they have a couple issues. They will not clamp down good enough to keep from slipping, and you don't want the scope that high. It will not be ergonomic, and the pellet will be rising so steep that ranging the close targets becomes critical. If you use an RWS lockdown mount and loctite the scope stop pin, it will be fairly repeatable removing and reinstalling it. I keep a scope in a mount to move from rifle to rifle that way when I am tuning or testing new rifles.

i'm a big fan of the leupold freedom 3-9 EFR for my HW springers. before that the clearridge ultra RM, and before that the bugbuster 3-9. all have parallax adjustment at the objective. bugbuster cheapest, followed by the clear ridge and then the freedom. glass quality of the leupold and clearridge were very comparable. if you can find a clearridge ultra rm i would grab it. i regret selling mine, and only recommend the leupold because i don't think they make the clearridge anymore.

So I guess I'll just use the open sights until I need a scope. My vision is still pretty decent.
My hw 95/R9 pretty deadly on stock irons 10m to 100y. Just like any you got to give the gun time to break in well and settle screw tighting ,ect .. .. Rome was not built in a day ... Then that hw should lay them in nicely..

i'm a big fan of the leupold freedom 3-9 EFR for my HW springers. before that the clearridge ultra RM, and before that the bugbuster 3-9. all have parallax adjustment at the objective. bugbuster cheapest, followed by the clear ridge and then the freedom. glass quality of the leupold and clearridge were very comparable. if you can find a clearridge ultra rm i would grab it. i regret selling mine, and only recommend the leupold because i don't think they make the clearridge anymore.
On my powder burners, I started out with Nikon riflescopes, then I moved up in the world to Leupold and the Vortex. I have 3 or 4 with scopes on at the time of purchase. They are on leverguns at present and I should do some research to see how suitable they might be, just on a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.

My hw 95/R9 pretty deadly on stock irons 10m to 100y. Just like any you got to give the gun time to break in well and settle screw tighting ,ect .. .. Rome was not built in a day ... Then that hw should lay them in nicely..
I enjoy shooting open sights when I can, leverguns look best without a scope. What do I have to do when I pick it up? Just basic chores and gun barrel cleaner.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I enjoy shooting open sights when I can, leverguns look best without a scope. What do I have to do when I pick it up? Just basic chores and gun barrel cleaner.
Just basic hw stuff , clean barrel, keep eyes on stock screws / check tightness as you shoot . ( Maybe need a dab of blue loctite on there threads to help ).

Then you'll be wanting to tune it or respring and seal..lol. ( As we all do )

There's a lot out there on new hw things in forums . Once you get it past the teething you'll find you got a pretty good air gun that you'll enjoy for a long time..