• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope for hw 30

I have recently purchased a hw 30 from air guns of arizona. Great packaging, super service. The rifle needs a reliable scope. I tried Hawke Air Max 32 2-7 I bought from Amazon. It could not be zeroed. Returned it, bought Hawke vanguard,as recommended by aoa Not very clear image, simply would not hold zero. At 10 yards it put 3 touching, the next one would be inches away somewhere else. The next shot could be anywhere. base it tight and scope ring bolts have been torqued to 15 inch pounds as recommend by the manufacturer Change in elevation also changed windage... After about 100 shots I finally gave up. I am returning it to Amazon. That's 2 bad ones in a row from Amazon. I am wondering if it is Amazon or poor quality of that model of Hawke scope. At present I have a fixed 4x utg and it is still holding zero after 1000 shots. but I would like just a bit more magnification. Unfortunately UTG doesn't make a 2x7 I refuse to buy another Hawke. The hw 30 has almost no recoil. Is a really expensive scope the only way to go?? l would really like a 2x7 or fixed 6 I thought about a bugbuster, but it seems due to their compact size, a one piece mount cannot be used. Any suggestions?

a

I have recently purchased a hw 30 from air guns of arizona. Great packaging, super service. The rifle needs a reliable scope. I tried Hawke Air Max 32 2-7 I bought from Amazon. It could not be zeroed. Returned it, bought Hawke vanguard,as recommended by aoa Not very clear image, simply would not hold zero. At 10 yards it put 3 touching, the next one would be inches away somewhere else. The next shot could be anywhere. base it tight and scope ring bolts have been torqued to 15 inch pounds as recommend by the manufacturer Change in elevation also changed windage... After about 100 shots I finally gave up. I am returning it to Amazon. That's 2 bad ones in a row from Amazon. I am wondering if it is Amazon or poor quality of that model of Hawke scope. At present I have a fixed 4x utg and it is still holding zero after 1000 shots. but I would like just a bit more magnification. Unfortunately UTG doesn't make a 2x7 I refuse to buy another Hawke. The hw 30 has almost no recoil. Is a really expensive scope the only way to go?? l would really like a 2x7 or fixed 6 I thought about a bugbuster, but it seems due to their compact size, a one piece mount cannot be used. Any suggestions?

a
Have you checked your slinger over? Maybe something is loose?🤷‍♂️ I've been there

a
What’s your budget range you’d like to stay at. I know it’s more power than you’re asking for but I put an Athlon Talos 3-12 on my sons RWS 34 that’s held up well. I think they sell got just under $240.

I have 5 Hawke scopes. 4 of them are 2-7x32 AMX. 3 are on springers and the other is on my pcp (raspy whisper") "Precious" a little Hatsan Flahpup. Phenominal little rifle by the way. 1 of these scopes happens to be on my little HW 30. I bought most of them thru Hawke.! I bought 1 thru SWFA.It was defective,abberations on the edges of the sight picture,returned,replaced,no problem. I use BKL rings 278-200 series 1" rings. On the 1 from SWFA there is a flake,like an extra black dot but a little faded that appears in the edge of the sight picture but it does not hinder it,s use. Don't buy scopes or pellets from Amazon.

Reactions: SoCalAirrifles
I have a Hawke 2-7×32 Airmax on my HW30. My wife's HW30 has a Hawke 2-7×32 Vantage IR. Both scopes work excellent. I bought mine through DVOR and a local store. Perhaps Amazon is selling knockoffs or returned items. It's been known to happen.

Also make sure you rings aren't moving in the dovetail. 15 inlbs is fine for the ring caps but not enough for the dovetail. I use Sportsmatch T02C rings they are excellent quality and the dovetail clamp goes down to 55inlbs.

20210425_155718.jpg

I have installed a UTG 3-12X32 BugBuster on my HW50S using the included UTG quick-attach Picatinny rings and a UTG dovetail-to-Picatinny adapter. I had to reverse the mounting of the adapter to get the scope back far enough for my liking, but it's not the greatest setup. I was contemplating acquiring some Sportsmatch two-piece rings (medium) to try, but I'm not confident that the eye relief will be sufficient without some sort or rearward mounting adapter setup. The BugBuster seems like a robust, highly adjustable compact scope but for the HW50S springer rifle I'm not sure it would be an ideal choice; instead I'd recommend a larger (longer, full size) scope with a more suitable eye relief that was a good fit with two-piece rings. I'm currently looking for such a scope, perhaps a 30mm version. Ultimately I see the BugBuster landing on my AR-15, but it's possible that it could be a decent fit for the slightly smaller HW30S.

Currently I have a Williams peep sight on my HW30S which I thoroughly enjoy. I'll bet the BugBuster scope would be a slightly better fit on the HW30S over the HW50S due to the HW30S having a shorter length of pull, but the compact size of the HW30S is ideal and I love the handiness of the rifle with just the peep sight. I've just ordered a .050 low-light rear aperture for the Williams sight (included aperture is .093) based on recommendations from AGN users, should be a welcome addition to the sight.

Reactions: SoCalAirrifles
I have installed a UTG 3-12X32 BugBuster on my HW50S using the included UTG quick-attach Picatinny rings and a UTG dovetail-to-Picatinny adapter. I had to reverse the mounting of the adapter to get the scope back far enough for my liking, but it's not the greatest setup. I was contemplating acquiring some Sportsmatch two-piece rings (medium) to try, but I'm not confident that the eye relief will be sufficient without some sort or rearward mounting adapter setup. The BugBuster seems like a robust, highly adjustable compact scope but for the HW50S springer rifle I'm not sure it would be an ideal choice; instead I'd recommend a larger (longer, full size) scope with a more suitable eye relief that was a good fit with two-piece rings. I'm currently looking for such a scope, perhaps a 30mm version. Ultimately I see the BugBuster landing on my AR-15, but it's possible that it could be a decent fit for the slightly smaller HW30S.

Currently I have a Williams peep sight on my HW30S which I thoroughly enjoy. I'll bet the BugBuster scope would be a slightly better fit on the HW30S over the HW50S due to the HW30S having a shorter length of pull, but the compact size of the HW30S is ideal and I love the handiness of the rifle with just the peep sight. I've just ordered a .050 low-light rear aperture for the Williams sight (included aperture is .093) based on recommendations from AGN users, should be a welcome addition to the sight.
I've used the .050 aperture on the Williams. It gave me a much sharper front sight picture. The .093 didn't work well for me. The only problem I had with the .050 was in low light I couldn't find the target easily.
I now use a tech sight. It has a .062 aperture and it's a perfect size for me. Gives me a sharp enough picture and works in lower light than .050.

20220705_154350.jpg

Reactions: numbertwo
I second the opinion that you try a Williams peep sight. I had nice scopes (Leupold and Nikon) on both my 30's, but later put peeps on both of them. Now they're lighter, better handling guns. Also, you may be surprised how accurate peeps can be.View attachment 351381
I actually purchased a williams from Midway. Beautiful sight, but it clamped to dove tail with only one small screw. Even with the mild recoil from the hws 30 I thought the sight would easily shift. Am I missing something??

The Williams uses two set screws to tighten to the dovetail. The single slotted screw is only a lock screw. If you degrease the dovetail parts, leave the lock screw just a tick loose, tighten the set screws evenly and lock the slotted screw down the sight won't move.

I've done this successfully on a R1 which is a much harder hitting gun than a 30

Personally I've moved away from the Williams and went to the Tech Sights. They're much more robust, easier to install and don't interfere with the safety. I also like the look, simplicity and aperture size. Here's a few pictures of the Williams and Tech Sights

20210804_101107_resize_76.jpg

20210804_101234_resize_87.jpg

Resized_20220125_143224.jpeg

Williams.

20161015_204941.jpg

20161015_205014.jpg

I've never actually used peep sights but I'd be very surprised if the best peep sighter in the world could shoot groups half as good as I can with my HW30 and Leupold 3-9 EFR scope at 20 meters. At this distance, it is a consistent dime shooter all day and I'm a terrible shooter, fyi.

I just don't understand buying a precision air rifle and not taking full advantage of it's accuracy potential.

To the original question...My scope of choice would be the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR for the HW30. It's light, compact, reliable, clear, and focuses to under 10 yards.

I just might have one for sale in the classifieds at a pretty good deal:);)