• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scope for field target

Arken will not work for FT since they do not focus down to 10 yards (as far as I am aware). This means you won't be able to accurately range close targets.

Hawks Sidewinders always do well,. You could probably find one ~$500 if you hunted a little bit. Bushnell Elite 4200 (used) if you can find them. Athlon Midas Tac is a good option too.

Hell, Phil Hepler won nationals with a UTG if I remember correctly. Pick one with good class and a GREAT reticle and practice!

Last edited:
I'm wanting to set up a gun to try field target. Any thoughts thoughts or recommendations for optics?
Suggest you go to Cyclops Videos Joe Rhea U tub Chanel and do a search for info on the scope you maybe considering or to get some pointers on what would best fit your budget and needs.
Joe is one of the top if not the top scope reviewers on line. He has a very “unique” and direct approach to scope reviews .I have found his approach both informative and entertaining. I’m certain many on the Board are familiar with Joes work.
Good luck in your search and as has been already suggested by others keep the focus and parallax adjustment ability down to 10yards as a very important scope component for Hunter Field Target shooting.

I used to do just fine at 50 yards with a 10x scope, able to shoot sub 1/4 MOA groups with my 22 rimfires. At almost 70 years old, I can't seem to shoot like I could back then without at least a 50x optic, preferring 60x or even 80x.
The issue isn't the magnification for shooting, it's the magnification for range finding. In field target, we range find with the scopes, which is why you see so many hunter class shooters using a 10-50x Sightron turned down to 16x.

For the OP, check out the Discovery Optics VT series in 6-24x. I have the VT-R and it is surprisingly good for the money and has a 16X marking. You won't win Nationals with it, but it will get you shooting until you find a long term scope. I see one on Ebay for $129.

I think a good beginner scope that's budget friendly and works well is the UTG Accushot SWAT 4-16x scope. It has side focus, and seems to range pretty good at 16x power. I prefer the non-compact version of this scope. It usually costs somewhere between $160 and $200.

Reactions: Raysfan
UTG is always a safe bet for entry level FT with a budget. Athlon Talos 6-24 is another good one. Heck buy both and still stay under 500! Might ask around at a match if you can look through some scopes and get a feel for eye relief, eye box, etc. I know my preferences/needs have changed from when I started FT, reticles in particular.

6x24 X50 would be best .
While being mid X range at 16 is great to keep FOV bright (y) You need to set up your parrilax wheel AT THE X power you will use ( 16X assuming ) Setting at a higher X you will find Very few scopes will range to the same wheel position at a lower X ... Close but not always accurate enough IMO.
Also get your Ocular focus set FIRST, paint mark its location as any latter changes in ocular adjustment will change parrilax focus slightly.