Scope camera discussion

I would really appreciate a thread to educate those of us that have yet to mount scope cameras on the best way to do so. It seems to me that the ability to stop, start, and edit the video might be as important as the camera and mount system…

Thanks in advance to those that invest the time to educate us a little bit.

@bdzjlz To the OP’s original comment on a repository of information on detailing scope camera mounting instructions, there’s plenty of information already on YouTube and in the forums. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, it sometimes helps to ask other members as you have done. You can also start compiling the info on AGN yourself if you see that I can benefit others. Not a bad idea. Maybe do it in this thread.

Because drsquall noticed the lack of info on the page it got me to look at my tactacam again. Looks like it will be harder to update with no support. I did notice that in the settings function you can rotate the cam setup so the camera is on top. When you op for this setting you have to click the option, that way you can have the on-off record buttons on top instead of in-between the cam and scope.
20231105_212429.jpg

This doesn't mean the mount won't move while in the case, but I can at least have it mounted on the scope and almost ready to go while stored in the case
20231105_214123.jpg

Allen

Well, I can't make my mind up. Should I just buy a used tactacam 5.0 or new one off eBay and the mount for the scope or get something else. Is the tactacam easy to setup on a scope and move it around to others and I'm guessing you can't have the dial for illumination on the ocular end because it won't mount? I don't want spend a lot of money because the videos are just for and will not be putting them on YouTube

Well, I can't make my mind up. Should I just buy a used tactacam 5.0 or new one off eBay and the mount for the scope or get something else. Is the tactacam easy to setup on a scope and move it around to others and I'm guessing you can't have the dial for illumination on the ocular end because it won't mount? I don't want spend a lot of money because the videos are just for and will not be putting them on YouTube
@drsquall It's relatively easy to set up. You will need to D/L the Tactacam app and use your mobile device to be sure that the camera is oriented correctly so that your reticle is leveled across your screen. This ensures that your videos won't be recorded crooked. The FTS mount is not difficult to move from scope to scope. Correct, I believe that an IR battery compartment on the ocular lens end of the tube would interfere with the FTS mount fitting the way it is designed to fit.

If it were me, I would buy used and save money if you don’t like it. I know many people like them, but I did not. I say that for this particular camera but also for the cameras in general. I loved the GoPro, but it was a lot of money just to film for me.

On the Tactacam, I could not find a placement that would allow me to focus the scope to my eye and to the camera. If I wanted to see clearly what I was shooting , the camera would be out of focus and vice versa.

I tried a GoPro and had a similar issue until I upgraded the lens to the Eagle Vision and could then adjust it to the correct distance and focus for the reticle. I also needed an additional spacer for eye replied printed to allow eye placement and camera placement to be in the correct spot for both to be focused.

I don’t know if some people just have perfect vision that matches up to some of these cameras or what, but many people don’t talk about some of those difficulties. Others have said the same as me.

If it were me, I would buy used and save money if you don’t like it. I know many people like them, but I did not. I say that for this particular camera but also for the cameras in general. I loved the GoPro, but it was a lot of money just to film for me.

On the Tactacam, I could not find a placement that would allow me to focus the scope to my eye and to the camera. If I wanted to see clearly what I was shooting , the camera would be out of focus and vice versa.

I tried a GoPro and had a similar issue until I upgraded the lens to the Eagle Vision and could then adjust it to the correct distance and focus for the reticle. I also needed an additional spacer for eye replied printed to allow eye placement and camera placement to be in the correct spot for both to be focused.

I don’t know if some people just have perfect vision that matches up to some of these cameras or what, but many people don’t talk about some of those difficulties. Others have said the same as me.
I just realized that several of my hunting guns have the illumination knob on the ocular lens and the tactacam or eagle vision will not work. So I guess I'm going to get a side shot set up so I can use my current setups and as I can add the adapters to my scopes so I can move it around. I guess I could get a digital scope for hunting and film that way but I never know what gun I'm taking till that hunt. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Healthservices
eather. How can I help you today?

says:good morning heather. I was wondering if you are still manufacturing the tacticam pov and action cams

Heather
A76E03B0-CC3F-4420-87FF-46319EB07EA6.jpg

Heather says:We do still have the POV cameras, they are just not sold on our website anymore. They are sold in stores at places like Walmart and Cabela's.

says:Thank you. will there still be support and updates for them?

Heather

Heather says:Yes, if you ever have any issues or questions with our POV cameras you can reach out to us here and we can assist you.

says:Thank you Heather for your help.

Heather

Heather says:You're very welcome, have a great day!

11:22 AM

I also am new to video sharing with a scope cam of some kind.
Reading all the options from under a hundred to several hundred, I am confused.
The tacticam seemed a viable middle of the road set up. So, I contacted them, see above.

I am starting a new permission that will have me pesting everything from rats, racoons, skunks to pigeons and starlings.
Looking forward to learning how to make vids and share them.

Doc

Well that sounds good if tactacam is continuing to support the fts and the tatacam 5.0 that way, hopefully the batteries will continue to be made. If you have a tatacam I would recommend buying a extra battery and removing the battery from the camera as it does drain if left in the camera.

Screenshot_20240126_133051.jpg

Screenshot_20240126_133159.jpg

I also bought the two battery holder/charger. I can't say it is a great product as my charger case features did not all work. Only one of my charging ports worked and the button that shows the amount of charge does not work either. But this unit does make charging the batteries easier.

Last edited:
Well that sounds good if tactacam is continuing to support the fts and the tatacam 5.0 that way, hopefully the batteries will continue to be made. If you have a tatacam I would recommend buying a extra battery and removing the battery from the camera as it does drain if left in the camera.

"Hmm can't add pictures right now"

I also bought the two battery holder/charger. I can't say it is a great product as my charger case features did not all work. Only one of my charging ports worked and the button that shows the amount of charge does not work either. But this unit does make charging the batteries easier.
I have a curiosity question. When you mount the tacticam on the ocular how far back does that move the eye relief? do you normally need to move your scope forward to compensate? Seems a pain if you plan on hunting without the camera.

Thanks

doc