Scope camera discussion

I would really appreciate a thread to educate those of us that have yet to mount scope cameras on the best way to do so. It seems to me that the ability to stop, start, and edit the video might be as important as the camera and mount system.

I have been considering the Go Pro system offered by Utah Airguns. One of my questions is that when you stop the video between shots, can you restart it for the next shot or is it a separate video that has to be merged or spliced?

Thanks in advance to those that invest the time to educate us a little bit.

I was now rethinking and maybe going with a super zoom / astro zoom camera with a 50+x zoom instead of adding more junk to the gun. On the budget side is a Kodak az528 with 52x, wifi, but 1080 vid. Like do I need 4k for this ? Maybe check a YouTube on the zoom some look like a guy can see .177 holes a mile away .. lol anyway just a thought to ponder on a different option

Good luck

i prefer using a sideshot mount with my phone as the camera.

most phones have a "pro" or similar mode
that will allow you to focus manually
(which is the key to good scopecam video)

with the phone in pro mode/manual mode.

set the gun so the scope is looking at the sky.

use manual focus to focus on JUST the crosshairs,
get them as crisp and clear as you can.

now you can use the scopes side-focus/front AO
to bring the rest of the image into focus.

makes for clear scopcam vids.

but regardless of the camera/mount you choose,
always focus the camera to the reticle.

Screenshot_20231104_092646_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
@bdzjlz I own a few devices sued to record shots from scope cam, to digital scopes, monocular, a GoPro (older model), etc. I have yet to see a function that allows me to pause a video, then resume recording. To stop recording I press a button that stops it. To begin again I press the same button on the device. This creates separate files that I edit into a single file when creating a video.

GoPro has the Quik app that can edit video for you to make short clips, but I don’t think you have much control over how it splices clips. It’s ok for something quick if you want to show someone something, but it can very well mess up the most important moments. I’ve used it for other hobbies where the timing of the cuts doesn’t detract from the final product. For shooting sports this may prove a bit problematic. Hope this helps some.

Reactions: Moses888
I have the scope cams that Ezana4CE has and currently have the tactacam. There seems to be issues with all of them. Mounting them to where the camera is centered in the retical with no shadow is one concern I always have but is less currently with the tactacam on my element. Keeping things always focus is not easy for me. But the big plus with the tactacam is that I just push record before shooting with a 128 gb card and I can shoot for about 2.5 to 3 hours without stopping. I always forget to push record when I need to so I try to push record early in the day after setup. Another thing with the tactacam is, you don't have to flip the image over when editing. With the gopro/scopecam because of the mirror image you do have to flip the image after recording to see the retical correctly. Easy to replace batteries is a big plus on the tactacam. One of my batteries does not last as long as the other two so having extras is helpful. With the go pro at least with my older one you cannot record for hours at a time because it cannot and it gets very hot if you have it on for a long time. Also with all the mirror setups so far i have issues with reflection and recording of the things behind me when i am not behind the scope. I do want to try the triggercam as it has some good reviews and easy setup. I'm sure it will still have reflection issues but that can be less if you wear a large hat with a large rim that extends behind you.

Here is 230 yards with the altaros slug. Not so focused.

and here is the 220 yards with the 38 gr nsa. This is where you can see the retical not being centered with the right side more focused than the left and the heavy shadow on the right of the picture.

I do have to say that if you have a older phone with ability to manually focus the sidecam can work well. When I got a newer phone all that went away.

Allen

Last edited:
@drsquall They’re still around on eBay. Lemme check a few places.

Edit:

TACTACAM FTS (Film Through The Scope) Mount for Tactacam Cameras + Lens Cleaning System & Lens Cloth https://a.co/d/cGhxT8b

This is really strange. I looked on their site earlier in the year and saw the 6.0 action cam Now I don’t see any action cameras on the Tactacam site. When I googled if they discontinued any models I found this Optics Planet page. I’m not sure what’s going on with these cameras on the manufacturer’s end. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited: