Scope Cam Issue and a Series of Misses on a Squirrel Hunt

Here's some footage of a squirrel hunt almost two weeks ago. That day I missed every shot (except for the one in the second clip. It appears I grazed that one). Thankfully I was able to record these shots which reveled a few things to me that I didn't notice in those moments. I did check the image quality and reticle cant within the app before embarking on the hunt. They looked ok to me, but I'd only used a tree trunk as a focal point.

1) I don't recall the images through the scope looking anywhere near as blurry as these recordings captured. I was surprised to see it when I played back the video.
2) I determined that the reason the image was out of focus was because I managed to turn the diopter either while affixing the Tactacam FTS mount or when I was using an EagleVison mount with a Pard NV007 on a previous night hunt. Either way I remedied the issue by readjusting my diopter into focus.
3) It seems to me that when the diopter is out of focus, the parallax focus is also thrown off which throws off my holds according to my DOPE.

After realizing these things, I took time over the next couple of days to check and rework my DOPE out to 55 yards. Some holds changed and were put to the test in a subsequent hunt in which I took three shots on three squirrels and killed them all on the first shot. My only difficulty came when I shot an armadillo that came very close to me. I let the two of them trot past me until I'd estimated that they were within my point blank range. After killing him I analyzed my first shot on him and determined that he was not within my PB range. I needed to hold over in alignment with my DOPE for a 10 yard shot. That was completely my error. It suffered a little longer than I'd have liked in part because my shot didn't hit where I thought it would and I thought he was dead from the first shot by his initial reaction. Thankfully it did not escape and I was able to put it down with followup shots.

If anyone has any differing knowledge based upon similar experiences, I'm open to reading about it.

Also, for those of you who have asked about why I use IR or when, pay attention to the contrast between the lines in the reticle and the illuminated portion. My apologies on the upload. I don't know how to incorporate the slow-mo files into the upload in order to keep the slow motion portion in the videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Before you start shooting & filming do you check your image & focus on the Tactacam app? That's the only way I know things are set up correctly. I've had things "shift" a couple times, but due to my errors in mounting, not the camera's.
@Gerry52 I did, but the video shows that I didn’t do a good job. I should have taken more time and probably used a paper target with a grid or detailed picture of an animal to verify my focus and cant. I just used a tree trunk at an estimated distance. I’m thinking that Turin I g the mount I. This process also may have turned the diopter. So I most likely used the parallax knob to compensate and all shots were likely taken with some sort of parallax error or they were misranged and I used the wrong holds. These aren’t shots I’d ordinarily miss often. Four out of four is unacceptable. Hitting that vine, especially where it hit was telling. In slow mo I can see the bark flying below the squirrel as it continues to hop up the trunk and the vine was shot below the bifurcation, which is way off from my POA. The other squirrel go nicked and I didn’t even know it until I watched in slow mo and saw a tuft fur fly. I thought I clipped the beach and scared it the way it ran off. It didn’t fall out of the tree.

Next time I’ll try to use a tablet instead of a phone to have a clearer view of the details. I may also need to have my eyes checked because I believe that I should’ve picked up on an image that out of focus.

Apparently the reticle is a little bit fallen to the right.

If it is the case, the cant will make you hit in different places at different distances. You will only hit precisely at the distance you zero your rifle.
@Emu Does that matter much in terms of shooting? I thought that a slightly canted FTS mount only affected the way the reticle appears in the videos. My scope is mounted in rings and does not change position in those rings, so a canted image only reflects a camera or camera mount that’s not perfectly level. I’m asking because I haven’t heard this before.

Last edited:
Every time you before you start make sure to connect to your phone with the app so you are sure it is in focus. Also make sure you are not over tightening the mount screws.
@crittahitta Thanks. I don’t know how I missed it being out of focus. Maybe I failed to zoom in to max magnification. What’s an indication that the screws have been over tightened?

I've been using a Tactacam for years and this is what did. I bought a cheap 10" notepad so I have a much larger image to work with for focusing. For the diopter, I put a small drop of white paint on the top so I can see if it has moved since the last time. I did the same thing with white paint for the camera so I can install it the same each time. I also taped a white paper arrow on each scope I own and the body of the Tactacam to help align it properly.

IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ezana4CE