N/A Scope alignment puzzle

I used a leapers picrail adapter that slides on and is squeezed closed by the screws to clamp even(no side plate)on my TX200, because I hate dovetail.

CCFCD61B-EEB0-4551-A4D3-89E19113B083.jpeg

I mounted an Optisan 3x12 on an HW95 using Sportsmatch rings. The scope arrived close to optically centered - was verified by mirror method.

Next step was to set up plumb line and at ~ 5 yards and align vertical crosshair. Did this to align bubble level on scope tube with vertical crosshair.

I then set up mirror 5 yards and align vertical crosshairs to centerline of objective lens and muzzle. I must admit that it not not easy to see objective clearly, but it looked close.

FWIW I also had bubble level on dovetail, which was also pretty close.

After snugging all screws down I took outside to have a look. Set up target at 30 yards and leveled grid. When crosshairs aligned with target, scope bubble level is off. If level scope bubble leveled, crosshairs are counterclockwise a few degrees.

Rechecked scope crosshair alignment to plumb bob and scope bubble level matches.

I suspect that scope not aligned to rifle bore resulting in cant error, but what is most sensible way to correct?

I have mounted many scopes on bolt action powder burners successfully and also one PCP. For some reason this springer is not working out.

a STEADY gun rest is crucial when using the mirror method!

the scope can and will rotate as you snug down the rings,
always check and recheck in the mirror,
you cant check enough,
ill check/snug/check/snug etc.....

and have found,
depending on what rings im using,

that sometimes i have to align the crosshair slightly off center towards one edge of the bore or the other,
to get it to be straight and level after the rings are snugged down.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
the scope can and will rotate as you snug down the rings,
always check and recheck in the mirror,
you cant check enough,
ill check/snug/check/snug etc.....

and have found,
depending on what rings im using,

that sometimes i have to align the crosshair slightly off center towards one edge of the bore or the other,
to get it to be straight and level after the rings are snugged down.
That can give a guy a fit . Probably the hardest part keeping it from rolling when tighting no matter how even you tighten .. but old pre used rings it's not so bad as fresh new can be ..

im sorry to burst your bubble,
but,
that super tactical dude doesn't have the slightest clue how to align the crosshairs to the bore the right way.

i only watched till he sat the big bubble level onto the turret and that was all i needed to know lol

I think you're bursting his bubble not mine...lol. It's the highest viewed video on you tube on the subject, also I level off my turret. Care to explain why this is not appropriate instead of dismissing it without being so...brief?

Top 5 comments...

1698006208676.png

-Matt

1698005998044.png

The reason leveling from a turret cap is less than ideal is because the reticle itself (in the erector tube suspended inside the scope) may be rotated relative to it. Even premium scope brands may specify a tolerance of 2° to 3°.

The same is true of leveling to any external feature of the scope such as the flat underside of the scope midsection, which is the weakness of wedge leveling jigs like the one from Arisaka.

The reason leveling from a turret cap is less than ideal is because the reticle itself (in the erector tube suspended inside the scope) may be rotated relative to it. Even premium scope brands may specify a tolerance of 2° to 3°.

The same is true of leveling to any external feature of the scope such as the flat underside of the scope midsection, which is the weakness of wedge leveling jigs like the one from Arisaka.

thank you jason.

your explanation exceeds what i could have conjured up

Regarding rings with reversible clamping plates for 11mm or 3/8" rails, here's the way they work if they're designed properly...

The tooth on one side has a 45 degree angle. The other side has a shallower angle...that one is 60 degrees. The 45 is for a 3/8” rail. The 60 is for an 11mm rail.

If you're unsure about the rail itself, place a caliper across the dovetail. An 11mm rail should measure very close to 11mm, usually within a tenth or two. A 3/8" rail will usually measure somewhere in the range of 0.470" - 0.510" (12-13mm).

Having said all that, it's of absolutely no consequence if the scope is offset slightly due to a 3/8" vs 11mm mismatch as long as:
  1. you clock the scope so its reticle intersects the bore (a la the mirror method scouty and starlingassn described), and
  2. you hold the gun so the reticle is level when you are shooting

The gospel.

Now that really sums it all up..

LoL.. your sprit level ain't seeing that ..
Referring to the comment about a 2° to 3° tolerance between the turrets and reticle?

Yeah, I was skeptical too until I experimented with a 10pk of cheap, short (25mm) spirit levels to our expensive digital level at work. And by cheap I mean $3.50 for a pack of 10. Surprised to see they were sensitive enough to easily distinguish a change of 0.5 degree, with a baseline accuracy of about the same.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
When you consider the connections of scope to rings, rings to action, action to stock (and many are not inlet square), bipod or rest to stock, and bench to earth, it gets kind of elusive. Given the distances most of us shoot, I suggest not spending a lot of time on it. Get the scope mounted reasonably square, then assume your shooting position and zero the rifle. Any error involved will rarely cause a problem. I know this is almost unthinkable to the OCD among us, but that's my experience.

Referring to the comment about a 2° to 3° tolerance between the turrets and reticle?

Yeah, I was skeptical too until I experimented with a 10pk of cheap, short (25mm) spirit levels to our expensive digital level at work. And by cheap I mean $3.50 for a pack of 10. Surprised to see they were sensitive enough to easily distinguish a change of 0.5 degree, with a baseline accuracy of about the same.
I was just looking at the cheaper mechanist levels at Amazon .. for $25 or less you can get something useable .
There was one I kinda liked with a truing screw. That be a plus truing 2 levels up..
One thing the levels in my box all true up to each other anyway you turn them . 😉

Sorry
Phone crashed it was one like this

Last edited: