Scope Advice

Pick a scope from the Hawke Vantage line with a AO. I would get a mildot scope incase you take it outside and stretch out your range a little. Better to have it than not. A straight 4x32 AO would be fine on that gun. A 2-7x32 is a nice fit too. I ran a 3-9 Vantage on mine for a couple of years with no problems. I dropped to a 4x32 Vantage to save a little weight. Plus I think it's size fits the Hw50 better.

I prefer genuine Sportsmatch mounts they're made in the UK specifically for airguns. The quality of the machining and hardware is light years better than the cheap Chinese stuff on Amazon. Airguns of Arizona carry them. T02C or T04C are the models to look for. The T02C have 2 screw caps and good for a 4x32 or 2-7x32. The T04C have 4 screw caps and double dovetail clamp bolts. These work well for bigger and heavier scopes like 3-9x40 and bigger. 

Between an AO Vantage and the Sportsmatch rings you'll have a very good quality package for under 200 dollars.

That's just my 2cts.

Reactions: bd2021
First off you can get a nice scope for way under $200 for what you need,2d you do not need over 9x..I use 7x at 25 yards with no problems.

So now "we' have now settled on a variable scope say3-9x32---to 40mm AO...For sure you need an adjustable objective lens =AO..and it needs to be able to focus down to the range you are shooting.50ft. 

I have the same air rifle...I use a one-piece mount that also has a 10 degree inlined built in it to help with barrel droop.I do not know if you really need it,I do

think it is a good idea to get a one-piece mount.

The Hawke Vantage works for me..I would not get a lower grade model of Hawke.

Some of the nice Chinese scopes can work well, one thing is some are heavy for what they are...

I also like the Burris Fullfield scopes,I get them on sale for around $120=140 ..to me they are the best at that price., remember to get an AO...

That is a start, others will also have good advice, do your research,there are plenty of good choices.

Dvor is a free to join clearing house website and for another 24 hours or so, they happen to have a brand new Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope on sale for $137. Shipping is $9.99. Scope is on the bottom of Page 5 of their Secret Sale. I own 2 and that price is less than I paid each for my 2. I'm a member and have saved a small fortune on my Hawke scopes when they have them on sale.

Set of rings or a 1 piece mount, both of which have been mentioned above and you're more than a bit under your $200.

https://www.dvor.com/hawke-sport-optics-airmax-3-9x40ao-riflescope.html?promotion=dvor-secret-sale-87-2022-03-19

Dvor is a free to join clearing house website and for another 24 hours or so, they happen to have a brand new Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope on sale for $137. Shipping is $9.99. Scope is on the bottom of Page 5 of their Secret Sale. I own 2 and that price is less than I paid each for my 2. I'm a member and have saved a small fortune on my Hawke scopes when they have them on sale.

Set of rings or a 1 piece mount, both of which have been mentioned above and you're more than a bit under your $200.

https://www.dvor.com/hawke-sport-optics-airmax-3-9x40ao-riflescope.html?promotion=dvor-secret-sale-87-2022-03-19

Steve is right. Great deal on the Airmax. Also agree with Mycapt65 on the Hawke Vantage 4x32AO. Keeps the package small and light. Perfect size scope for that gun. The UTG mount is very well done. Doesn’t damage the gun or scope. Stays put. Has a built in scope stop. Used it for a couple decades now. I don’t understand paying 3-4 times more. 
235EE0E5-0FFA-4CE3-B562-7921837FA718.1648208196.jpeg
9C927474-152E-4E39-B05B-F21077F9F527.1648208196.jpeg

Bear, if I have to guess, mailman is hoping to find both scope and rings on the same website...lol.

Mailman, apologies, but to be honest, I wasn't looking for scope rings, just that scope. A friend on another forum I got hooked on the Airmax scopes posted about that sale and I looked myself debating whether to grab another 4-12x40 myself (I have 5, I like them that much..lol), thought I'd also seen the 3-9 version also listed, so I went back to try finding it to link here. 

Also to be honest, I usually tend to avoid recommending rings. Most shooters have their personal favorites. I do myself and while they've worked for me without a single issue in now 6+ years back shooting, apparently there are some who think I know nothing and haven't learned a thing in my years back. I always seem to get at least one who has to chime in, say why what I use is a bad choice, explain why X brand is just soo much better, blah blah blah and rather than read it repeatedly, I stopped and let everyone else do that part...lol.

Apologies for the small rant :)

p.s. - I have on occasion mentioned either the 1 piece Sportsmatch Dampa mount or the Diana Bullseye ZR mount for someone with a magnum beast of a rifle looking for a good recoil reducing mount, but the OP's HW50 doesn't come remotely close to that category so no need to put it out there.

Bear, if I have to guess, mailman is hoping to find both scope and rings on the same website...lol.

Mailman, apologies, but to be honest, I wasn't looking for scope rings, just that scope. A friend on another forum I got hooked on the Airmax scopes posted about that sale and I looked myself debating whether to grab another 4-12x40 myself (I have 5, I like them that much..lol), thought I'd also seen the 3-9 version also listed, so I went back to try finding it to link here. 

Also to be honest, I usually tend to avoid recommending rings. Most shooters have their personal favorites. I do myself and while they've worked for me without a single issue in now 6+ years back shooting, apparently there are some who think I know nothing and haven't learned a thing in my years back. I always seem to get at least one who has to chime in, say why what I use is a bad choice, explain why X brand is just soo much better, blah blah blah and rather than read it repeatedly, I stopped and let everyone else do that part...lol.

Apologies for the small rant :)

p.s. - I have on occasion mentioned either the 1 piece Sportsmatch Dampa mount or the Diana Bullseye ZR mount for someone with a magnum beast of a rifle looking for a good recoil reducing mount, but the OP's HW50 doesn't come remotely close to that category so no need to put it out there.

Good idea in not recommending a scope mount. With no experience with the Sportsmatch brand and certain they are an excellent choice with all the favorable comments on them, I just choose to spend the extra money elsewhere. I think I’ll take your advice and stop recommending my choice in mounts or scopes for that matter.

download.png
6C52AABD-FA2F-4F2B-B92D-E9F0A982C944.1649019771.jpeg

download.png
2DE3A6E0-B155-43D8-9FD0-30BAF29AB505.1649019771.jpeg

Hawke Airmax scope in UTG mount. I started at 20 feet. Center of target hold got me 3 1/2 inches low. Shimed rear ring until front bell touched receiver. Before shim I was four mil dots low. After shim I was two mil dots low. There is not enough adjustments in the scope to correct this. Did I get a bum mount? I’ve mounted many scopes powder guns. The mount appears to be installed correctly. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Finally, a resolution to the problem. Tried flipping the mount. No change. Tried Sports Match mounts. No change. Then I remembered the scope literature said it was factory set to optical zero. I went through the steps to reset to optical zero. That cut the point of impact discrepancy by half. It was a simple matter to dial it in using standard methods. Thanks to everyone for your input.