• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

​​​​​​​Scope adjustment range

I have ordered an FX Impact M3 .25 Sniper and need a scope for it. I´m a pistol firearm shooter, but I have nearly no experience with rifle scopes, and would appreciate some help.
I want to shoot long ranges, 100m and above. The budget is up to say $500. I believe I will want FFP, 16 or 18 x magnification and MIL-RAD.
Don´t know exactly how much the bullet will drop, maybe 50cm at 100m? That´s 50 MIL, right?
Most scopes have much less adjustment range than that. How do I handle that? Are those adjustable mounting rings that tilts the scope a solution? Should I get a scope with the largest possible adjustment range?
I have my eyes at Vector Optics Taurus which has 17,5MIL adjustment. Or the more expensive Vector Continental, which has 44MILL range.
Am I on the right path? There are tons of alternatives and considerations and I´m confused.
Rudy

Easy to be confused with so many choices. there are actually several decent scopes out there in your price range.

Your M3 comes with 20MOA built into the rail. If you need more you can get get adjustable rings that will allow you to tilt the scope down for more height adjustment.

https://utahairguns.com/fx-no-limit-scope-mounts-picatinny/

https://utahairguns.com/eaglevision-ins-adjustable-scope-rings-2-piece/

I have a couple of the Aztec scopes and like them very much.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all_but_description&search_str=aztec

Newer on the block and a very nice scope, for the money, from all that I have seen is the Element Helix

https://www.pyramydair.com/search-results-ext?keyword=element+helix

Hello, how are you? The adjustment range you’re talking about and the amount you’ll need at 100yds is off the mark a bit. You certainly won’t need 50MIL. There are many variables that determine the drop but with pellets, you can figure between 11-36 inches at 100yds. It will depend on zero range, BC, caliber, velocity and environmental factors to name a few. With a .25 caliber, 33.95gr diabolo pellet going 900fps, with a 50yd zero, the drop at 100yds will be about 11.5 inches. One MIL at 100yds is 3.6” so that you will really only need about 3 MIL at 100yds. I’m just pulling some guesstimate out of my head to help you understand and show that you won’t need 50MIL, although just guesstimates(other than the 3.6”@100yds), I hope it helps. Every scope I can think of in the $500 range has plenty of adjustment for your needs at 100yds.

Another thing, when looking at optics, I think you’re looking at the 44mm and 50mm objective diameter and not the maximum amount of travel. Most scopes with a 34mm tube don’t even have that much internal travel. There are exceptions but 30-34 MIL of travel on quality scopes is more common, again a guesstimate. 

WIth that being said, it’s hard to beat Athlon Optics for the money. Good quality glass, accurate tracking, priced right and a lifetime warranty. Pair an Athlon with Eagle Vision adjustable rings and you’ll be golden!

Have a good one. Stoti

I see you are from Norway :)

Most of these scopes recommended by US folks are meant for and sold on US market, you probably won't order from there. Second there are very common over there the rebranded Chinese goods, for those brands you will most likely never hear in EU. Anyway the biggest problem you will have the ITAR export regulations and most of these Chinese re-branded scopes will somehow fall into that category. (I am a very first neighbour in Canada and still the ITAR hits me in a face so I gave up buying these things from US and just shopping from EU).

I don't know any stores in Norway but I know in Germany, Holland, Spain, Greece, Slovenia and so on.

I am shooting 100 Meter target rings as well in my gun club. I got myself a Falcon X50T last year from Kraleshop it is the best value for a money, that scope is Made in Japan and you can feel it. If you not in hurry wait for a month and monitor the prices.

I would go for the Athlon Argos also. Great scope at a great price. I have the APLR2 MOA reticle on my Athlon which has 40 MOA of vertical on the reticle which gets me out there to about 225 yds. I make one 40 MOA vertical adjustment on the turret and I have another 40 MOA on the reticle which gets me out past 325 yds. 80 MOA of reticle with one turret adjust _ 325+ yds. You can transfer this concept over to the Athlon Mil. Reticle. I use this on both my 25&30 cal. Impacts.

The M3 scope rail has 20 MOA built into it. According to Strelok, with the rifle zero'd at 55 meters, I need to dial 7.9 MOA or 2.3 MRAD (23 clicks on the element Helix) up to hit the target at 100m. For 150m it is 19.8 MOA or 5.8 MRAD. Most good quality scopes are able to do that.( My FX is a .22 with 25.39 grain Knockout slugs at 935 fps) A .25 will be slightly different but not much.

Oh.. yes, at 100m a 50cm drop is 5 mil, but 50 clicks. Right?
The Athlon Argos looks promissing. Do I want 24x power? I generally think to much magnification is not desired. If 24x at 200m is too much at 200m, I don´t know. 200m is not particularly "long range" in fire arm terms, but for an air rifle it is.

Hello again. As to your above question…No, at 100yds, the drop is more like 11.46 inches or 29.1cm, about 2.9 mil, which would equate to 29 clicks with 1/10mil adjustment scope. With that said, you are right in that if it was indeed 50cm, it would be 50 clicks. Metric system makes the math with mil optics so simple…But then, you already know that!😉

Many people say they don’t want much magnification and that’s obviously their choice. Keep in mind that at 100yds, pellet holes are small and hard to see. We shoot a bright white, metal gong at 135yds and even with the large impact spot(about 10mm) with the white paint chipped away, it’s still hard to see the POI on 24-30x! I use 5-50x56 and 15-60x52 because I really think magnification is an advantage at that distance. One of my sons uses a 10-40x56 Athlon Argos the other an Arken Optics 6-24x56. My son Cooper using the Arken is the only one who has trouble seeing holes at 100 yards or at longer distances. A 5-25x50 or 6-25x50 is only 1-2X difference at the low end but 10X more at the high end. Win-Win! That would give you at least adequate magnification on the high end but a wide field of view and super bright, sharp picture on the low end.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were in Europe when I responded the first time. Krale over there in Europe sells Falcon, Nikko Sterling and others that would meet your needs. Export laws pertaining to American optics companies selling optics overseas are pretty strict. Take a look at the Falcon 5-25x50 that Krale sells for $412 US. Or you might check The European E-Bay for a great deal. 

Let us know what you end up purchasing. 
Have a great day. Stoti

Thanks stoti and all for your kind help to a newbie. It really matters.

Biohazardman taught me that it is already 20MOA built into the rail. That sounds just brilliant. Didn´t even know such things existed. So, range of adjustment can probably be taken out of the equation.
stoti also made me think twice about 16 or 18x as max power. My assumption was that the reticle on a FFP scope became a bit larger and more readable for range calculations at not so far distances, if the power was not so large as 24x. That I can´t say for sure with no experience. Also more power is more shake and less light. I might want good dark performance (knowing that glass quality over rules lens size).

The Argos Athlon BTR 6x24 looks like a very good candidate. Like the 9m close range focus, being for an air rifle, that might be wanted.
If I increase the price elevation some klicks, the Vector Continental 4-24x56 also falls within the visible target. Or the 3-18x50 version if I go for the slightly lower power (and size). However, I assume there are plenty of options beside those to.
Not sure if I will be able to notice the difference (from 500 to 700$) having non to compare with.

I wonder if I increase the budget a bit I can get a Vector Continental Tac FFP 4-24x56, MIL/MIL 34mm. About $100 more than the Athlon Argos. I don´t have strict restriction on the budget, but I don´t want to spend more than I will be able to notice the difference. It is a bit lighter than Athlon too. Otherwise checking all the boxes for the purpose. Haven´t seen any bad comments on Vector Optics.

It was mentioned several times that if you want to see the holes in the target you need a bigger magnification - unless you want to mount a spotting scope as well right beside you. If you already have some sort of spotting scope you are on a right track, but if don't consider the $$$ + $$$ = $$$. But you can always check your points when you finish shooting, right...

For a 100 meters you will need some support or rest, a stronger rigid is better, not really to stop the shake only but you need to count on hearth beats as well.

bigHUN, you made me reconsider my initial spec 16 or 18 power and increase to 24. The reason I´m hesitating going higher is that I´m actually pretty picky on optics in general and I have never seen any high power binoculars with decent optics in a decent price range. I also appreciate low light capabilities. So a x50 scope in this price category will probably have performance that would turn me down. I also believe that high of a magnification does not help me to hit better(?), but I clearly see the benefit of being able to spott my own point of impact, and thereby hit better with the following shots.
How do you think my reasoning holds together? 

I would suggest meeting up with a local shooter near your area who actually owns a Vector scope for you to look through it at 100 and 200 yards before making any decision on buying any Vector brand model. 

If purchasing an Athlon brand scope be sure it at least buy the Midas Tac or Ares with better than average glass since you mention shooting past 100 yards you might want to actually be able to see the pellet strike holes on your long distance targets.

You might be able to cheap out buying the Athlon Argos 8-34 or 10-40 and back the maximum zoom power down lowered shy of maximum in order to keep things clear enough to see your strike holes on the 100 yard targets.

Above mentioned Mid to upper end Athlon models since you will also need repeatable turrets to dial in your longer distance target shots too. Mid to upper end Athlons appear to have better than average turret tracking clicks which may not the Vector brand's specialty.

If I was fortunate enough to have a new inbound Impact Mk3 and plan on shooting it past 100 yards I would probably opt for at least a Midas Tac 24x or Ares Etr 30x or buy the $75 BSA Tactical 8-32x44 10 yard side focus from Aliexpress for now while I save up for the Midas Tac or Ares Etr. Glass on these specific models mentioned appear to be best in class.

I am fortunate enough to have other local shooters brag or complain about their scopes and see for myself what's out there whether good value and worth it or not.

That BSA Tactical side focus 32x is a relatively low $75 investment for now which is probably quick and easy to resell just to break even or keep as a spare backup scope that is clearer than average as decent as the Mueller branded counterpart at roughly one third the price.

A local shooting friend paid $130 or was it $140 did he say delivered for his BSA Tactical 32x when it was priced higher from Aliexpress a couple of years ago. He would not sell his scope to me since its a permanent piece of equipment reliably zeroed on his gun.

I´m totally following your points Batman2. Athlon seems to be a popular brand. I do not necessarily have any budget restrictions at all, but I just don´t want to lay down more than I know how to appreciate. However, going from the Argos to the Midas might be wise in that perspective. 
I will have time to think and study. Time of delivery for the gun is several months...

Reactions: hateun