School circle!!! advice needed.

I am in rather urgent need of some advice, concerning my FWB 300 SU rebuild.. i recently purchased weaver to picatinny adapters for my scope... Im kind of at my witts ends, i have had a heck of a time getting scope rings and now mounts to keep from moving as the adapter mounts are not posted. And the FWB doesn't have a post hole either. Im almost have tempted to get someone to weld a 1\4" piece of steel on the top of the dovetail in the rear... I've purchased at lest half a dozen different ring sets, and they are all cheap aluminum or not tall enough for what i need. Now the adapters gave me perfect height but they move.. getting kinda discouraged and expensive.. If anyone has any ideas im all ears? Please sound off.

You could DIY drill a hole in the rings , then attach the ring where you need it and use that to drill into the dovetail , very carefully and not very deep .
Take the ring off and tap it for a grub screw , Hardened grub screws are available @ local hardware .
Post # 7 much better idea
Stan

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerry52 and Brent
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/04/fwb-300s-vintage-target-air-rifle-part-5/

Look at picture #2 of the scope set up and notice he uses a clamp on scope stop behind the forward ring ..

You may look overseas like UK shops or maybe krales and hope to find a well made on or any that looks good ..

Ain't much around usa ( 3ed world I guess)🥴

I am in rather urgent need of some advice, concerning my FWB 300 SU rebuild.. i recently purchased weaver to picatinny adapters for my scope... Im kind of at my witts ends, i have had a heck of a time getting scope rings and now mounts to keep from moving as the adapter mounts are not posted. And the FWB doesn't have a post hole either. Im almost have tempted to get someone to weld a 1\4" piece of steel on the top of the dovetail in the rear... I've purchased at lest half a dozen different ring sets, and they are all cheap aluminum or not tall enough for what i need. Now the adapters gave me perfect height but they move.. getting kinda discouraged and expensive.. If anyone has any ideas im all ears? Please sound off.

You got this 300s juiced up past the normal 5.5-6fpe?

I own 2 and used to have a third. They've all been scoped at some point and never had any issues with scopes slipping.

This has been all that's needed to keep a scope from slipping....UTG MNT-PMTOWL-A New Gen Dovetail to Picatinny/Weaver Adaptor Mount, One Size Black https://a.co/d/dAzBLy5

Two thoughts.
1. On a blog I read, a FWB Sport, new model, was scoped and BKL mounts were used successfully without movement. One of the things I have done is clean the dovetail of oil and a touch of locktite has held for me.
2. Consider the scope. You didn't say what scope you are using, find a light scope that meets your needs. The lighter, the better. A large, heavy scope is going to be hard to get to stay put.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2012/04/fwb-300s-vintage-target-air-rifle-part-5/

Look at picture #2 of the scope set up and notice he uses a clamp on scope stop behind the forward ring ..

You may look overseas like UK shops or maybe krales and hope to find a well made on or any that looks good ..

Ain't much around usa ( 3ed world I guess)🥴

" Clamp " looks like the bubble level i use . but dual purpose ? another idea if you have un used cheap rings you could saw off the ring part and use the bottom as a clamp .

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
first off welding and drilling a FWB 300 is an unbelievable notion to make a scope stay in place
i come from am TC Contender Encore world of heavy hitting calibers and we always used 3 rings
but a 300 is not even close to heavy hitting and as stated a ring stop should work, hell use 2
welding and drilling my God
i also come from the Encore world with many hard-hitters....... 🤘

" Clamp " looks like the bubble level i use . but dual purpose ? another idea if you have un used cheap rings you could saw off the ring part and use the bottom as a clamp .
LoL.. ya I can do .. my hacksaw ain't scared. I'm definitely not above doing things as that .. I can stoop to any level if it works as I expect it to ..

Last edited:
Two thoughts.
1. On a blog I read, a FWB Sport, new model, was scoped and BKL mounts were used successfully without movement. One of the things I have done is clean the dovetail of oil and a touch of locktite has held for me.
2. Consider the scope. You didn't say what scope you are using, find a light scope that meets your needs. The lighter, the better. A large, heavy scope is going to be hard to get to stay put.
My new Sport has the same mount with no stop pin. Doesn't budge even a hair.

You got this 300s juiced up past the normal 5.5-6fpe?

I own 2 and used to have a third. They've all been scoped at some point and never had any issues with scopes slipping.

This has been all that's needed to keep a scope from slipping....UTG MNT-PMTOWL-A New Gen Dovetail to Picatinny/Weaver Adaptor Mount, One Size Black https://a.co/d/dAzBLy5
The springs and seals rebuild kit i purchased directly from Feinwerkbau in Germany. I will say that the new springs were definitely A Lot stronger than the original ones and a touch longer so maybe it is running a little hotter.

What diameter scope tube do you have? If 1 inch, try these from Sportsmatch. Have horizontal recoil arresting pin to fit FWB guns. https://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/air-rifle-rimfire-rifle-1inch-medium-range.

I have a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR mounted on a FWB300S RT in a Sportsmatch OP12C and it has never slipped despite have only 3 clamping screws and truncated clamping jaws.

Wow there Olde Fellow. Never and I can only repeat it strongly never weld on an FWB 300 of any version. The airgun goddess Diana with rain a wrath on you. The FWB 300 has been scoped successfully many times over ever since Long ago when there was an article in Guns and Ammo called "Mini Sniping" by Peter Hathaway Capstick. Some professional African guides do this in their off time : snipe 9mm casings at 30 yards with FWB300 air guns.
here is the read https://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html
The FWB is recoiless so wonder what you mean by rebuild? If you hot-rodded it, by this I mean boost velocities could be the issue. I only bring this up because IIRC Paul Watts and I think Dave Slade did and do an appx 700 fps tune on the 300s but still not a "Scope killer" by any means. I myself have had 3 scoped FWB 300's over the years, scope rings of choice BKL's 257's. If you are really have such an issue keeping rings tight on it, I suspect you have other issues going on. Fo the sake of humanity please do not drill, weld or even hold a hacksaw in your hand while ne a FWB300.Best of luck.
tim

Just buy the rings that are made for the cross slots on your FWB. The sports match t03 special that was linked in the post above is a good example of the rings made for FWBs and webley's but don't have a scope stop pinhole but rather have the cross slots to mate with the FWB scope rail. Use these and you won't have a problem with scope movement no matter what size scope you decide to use. Just know that a larger scope will impede the loading port so be aware of that

Reactions: mh