• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

School a newby please.

Currently using a Crosman 66 for trying to get rid of nasty birds. It is left loaded and pumped 4 times so it is ready when I need it. Was looking at co2 rifles but I hear you can't leave them pressurized. Looked at break barrels and hear you can't leave them ready to use either. Should I just stay with my 66?

No! Get a springer air rifle of quality and you already know how to shoot obviously.

The break barrel or side lever or underlever have different qualities.

If you want to hear from a standing offhand rifleman in air rifles (always-no rests) choose the consistency I've found in a springer around R9 or HW95 or HW95L or HW98 level.

I have all three types I mentioned and I could mention HW80 as well; I have all four calibers in HW80: .177, .20, .22, and 25 and the .25 caliber shoots exactly 49 fps faster than the HW95L .25.

The HW80 is a large springer with excellent accuracy; but the HW95 series seem to please more with accuracy and power enough to do the job out to 50 yards.

I think in my own reflection of what rifles I have the HW95 series or R9 series would "fill" the gap you find.

As far as leaving them cocked there is no need. You can get away with a cocked gas ram for months without losing pressure or accuracy (my own Theoben Eliminator .25 from 1999 still shoots to point of aim since I sighted it in on a Weaver V16 over the patented Dampa Mounts in place already) but safety is the best concern.

The springer can be cocked prior to use with consistent performance. I've held out for 20 minutes here and there because the target moved but the shot after 20 minutes of coiled compressed break barrel spring never noticed this slight on my part!

003B0673-A102-4759-B2C7-D2BFCB43F29B.1625520621.jpeg
If your worried that much about it, maybe pcp would be a better choice for you. They are just a side lever out and in and your loaded for bear, err I mean bird. 

i would also get a repeater with a magazine, any shot as well as a follow up shot you will be fumbling with a pellet, and looking down to load it. With a magazine your opening and closing the bolt while you continue to look at the target.

https://www.airgundepot.com/diana-bandit.html