• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SCBA Tank Valve Fitting Size (NxG2)??

Hi, I just purchased a used 60 min Scott SCBA tank with 2 years left....very good price. It comes with an NxG2 valve with a quick disconnect. My question is this: Does the valve use DIN300 G5/8 standard fittings? If not, what type of connection is this? I would like to remove the quick disconnect and connect up a fill station.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Ryan

1591295926_6518939215ed93fb6157555.49999399.jpg

You COULD just replace the whole Scott valve assembly with an original, unmodified Scott valve. I can get them for $15 (my cost) & ship one out to you if you decide to go that route. PM me if that's what you decide . If you've any other tank questions feel free to ask me. Been working with them for 25 years. Gerry 

Reactions: prvazinternational
You COULD just replace the whole Scott valve assembly with an original, unmodified Scott valve. I can get them for $15 (my cost) & ship one out to you if you decide to go that route. PM me if that's what you decide . If you've any other tank questions feel free to ask me. Been working with them for 25 years. Gerry

Thank you for the offer Gerry. That will be option 3 for me.

Option 1: Determine the native Female fitting, If its DIN300 (G5/8) I can just direct connect up a fill station...If anyone knows let me know.

Option 2: Remove the quick connect adapter and turn it in my lathe to have a 1/4 NPT fitting, and get 1/4 to CGA347 Adapter

Option 3: Your path, order a standard valve with DIN300 output fitting.

I'm always looking for a reason to turn on the lathe!! :)

Ryan

And Gerry I did have another question...I am assuming that the other CGM347 connector on this valve is for filling (check valve input only). Is this correct?

Hi AllThingsAl

Good morning!

I'm a fellow air gun enthusiast. 

Like you, I just purchased a Scott air tank (it's a 45 minute tank in great condition) on Ebay.

Like your tank, attached to mine is a NXG2 gauge/valve. 

I'm hoping you found a solution to what type of attachments can be hooked up to it to fill your air guns and you'll share that info with me (and interested others).

OF CONCERN TO ME: is the "Snap/Change" nipple/probe—I know it was designed to connect the air breathing apparatus that firefighters use, but for filling airguns, that nipple/probe looks problematic.

Any suggestions of types of connections that you found for this type of valve/gauge (or any knowledge) you can impart on me would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, You got one up on me---- I don't own or know how to operate a lathe. 

:)

Best Regards

Jef

Nyack, New York

SCOTT 4500psi NXG2 AIR TANK GAUGE.1607261535.jpg
SCOTT 4500psi NXG2 AIR TANK GAUGE 2.1607261541.jpg

Hi AllThingsAl

Good morning!

I'm a fellow air gun enthusiast. 

Like you, I just purchased a Scott air tank (it's a 45 minute tank in great condition) on Ebay.

Like your tank, attached to mine is a NXG2 gauge/valve. 

I'm hoping you found a solution to what type of attachments can be hooked up to it to fill your air guns and you'll share that info with me (and interested others).

OF CONCERN TO ME: is the "Snap/Change" nipple/probe—I know it was designed to connect the air breathing apparatus that firefighters use, but for filling airguns, that nipple/probe looks problematic.

Any suggestions of types of connections that you found for this type of valve/gauge (or any knowledge) you can impart on me would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, You got one up on me---- I don't own or know how to operate a lathe. 

Best Regards

Jef

Nyack, New York

SCOTT 4500psi NXG2 AIR TANK GAUGE.1607261535.jpg
SCOTT 4500psi NXG2 AIR TANK GAUGE 2.1607261541.jpg

Hi Jef,

Thanks for the reply. I actually sold off all my air gun stuff last June, but the only thing I have left is the tank and the fill valve I had to modify with the lathe. If I were to do this again I would replace the NxG2 valve completely. Inexpensive and reliable. No standard components that I could find at the time will make your NxG2 valve work...short of modifying with a lathe.

The valves are inexpensive and you won’t regret it...congrats on the tank score, those tanks are build...well, like a tank! ;)

Ryan

Ryan,

I agree with you; I'm going to replace the valve entirely (with a new one!). 

There are several gauge/valves on Ebay (with 7/8-14 UNF threads) that will do the job. 

This present NXG2 valve has seen 14 years of service. Best to retire it. I'll get better performance (and SAFETY!) with a new valve.

I would be remiss of curiosity if I didn't put my question about the NXG2 out there. 

Thanks for the swift reply!!! 

----and yes! These carbon fiber tanks are built really strong--wrapped solid-------like TANKS!!

Best Regards,
Jef 

Hi JSCWARTZLOW,

In regards to the NXG2 valve (and using it to fill an air gun or connecting it to a compressor) I'm not sure how the quick release nipple works.

Yes, there is a connection (on the NXG2 valve) with threads in which a CGA 347 valve can be connected. That still still doesn't answer how ( the quick release nipple) would work in conjunction with all of it.

In my opinion, nipple on the NXG2 valve should be unscrewed and a plug inserted (so no air could not get in or out).

Since I'm unsure about all of it, I decided to chuck the NXG2 valve all together.

MY SOLUTION: I bought a valve with a 7/8-14 UNF thread that goes directly into the tank. That valve will do two things; 1) fill my air-guns and 2) connect to a 4500 PSI air-compressor in which to fill my 45 minute Scott Air Tank.

Does what I laid out make sense? Do you concur? Have you any feedback or questions to what I summed up?

Best

Jef

Nyack N.Y.

Jeff, I think you are saying you replaced your NXG2 valve with a valve designed for pcp fill instead of using a standard Scott CGA347 + adapter. That layout makes sense. I'm also curious which valve you used and how difficult the swap was. There are a few valves on eBay for around $50. Then again, I kind of like the Scott CGA347 because it shows tank pressure clearly. I have the standard threaded valve. So I may just stick with that valve and my fill adapter.

John

4500PSI 7 8-14 UNF Valve.1609121482.jpg

Hi rong1966,

I could not find out how to successfully hook up a CGA 347 valve to a NXG2 valve (because of the quick release nipple).

I decided to chuck my NXG2 valve all together, It had problems anyway, as it was old and the knob for air flow did not turn smoothly.

I've opted for a new valve entirely.

The Scott Carbon air Tank I got has 7/8-14 UNF threads. A new valve (on Ebay) can be had for $55 to $75 (sold from inventory here in the U.S. and China)

Amazon has a valves for sale, too! both. I already own a 3 liter tank with a M18 1.5 -6H valve. I love how smooth it works.

My Scott tank needs a 7/8-14 UNF threaded valve (On Amazon, they sell for $85 to $107)

I ordered a 7/8 - 14UNF valve on Ebay. When I got the valve, it screwed on perfectly snug to the Scott tank. I was optimistic. The Problems began (with the new valve) when I hooked it up to my Yong Heng Air Compressor to fill my tank. The valve proved defective. While air was being pumped in, the gauge needle wasn't registering PSI----so I returned it.

That's where I stand today. Even though I have a tank---I'm Still valve-less. 

If I were a "well to do" air gun enthusiast, I would have ordered a brand new DOT 9L tank with all the fittings. I am what you would call a budget minded air gunner. I truly love air guns, both the language and technology. I enjoy the zen focus of target shooting. I own 7 air guns and I'm always looking for more. It's a Terrible (I smile) addiction. Having been around, I know of worse vices---But---This one ( I smile again) is tame in comparison.

Another alternative for your Scott Tank is to get a "7/8x14 Male to M18x1.5 Female Adapter For Carbon Fiber Cylinder Conversion" on Ebay. they cost between $15 to $20. That way you have the option using either sized valve on your Scott tank.

Good luck, my friend.

John, In my experience, I found all the 4500psi tanks and their 4500psi valves are pretty much DIY (when attaching and operating).

It's just a matter of knowing your tank thread size and having familiarity with the several standard 4500psi Tank valves that are out there and not confusing one for the other when purchasing. 

You sound like you know what you're doing. Just be safe doing it.

I'm happy to meet your acquaintance.

Best

Jeff

Rong,

That's interesting. I did not know that. My experience with tank valves has been otherwise.

Below (picture attached)is the valve/gauge I used (the needle did not move to show PSI after the tank was filled. It registered "0" PSI.)

Are you positive this type of valve/gauge that I attached in the picture(once the tank is filled) will not show PSI pressure in the tank?

Please Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jef

s-l1600 1.1609175264.jpg

Rong, in answer to your question does it show PSI pressure while filling the tank (with my Yong Heng)

The answer is; YES!

It when I reach the desired tank fill and shut off my young Heng and bled the valve and disconnected. That's when the Tank pressure dropped to zero. Nothing . Nada. Yet the tank was fully filled to 4500 psi.

I surmised the valve/gauge was defective.

Not only did this valve not read PSI when tank was completely filled, but the black knob that you turn which allows air to flow in and out---FROZE. 

In my mind, it all added up to a defective valve/gauge.

It took almost 6 hours to let the air out of the tank by jiggling the knob in order for me to unscrew it from the tank, so I could repackage it for the return.

Am I making sense?

Best

Jef

Yep! I get it. That makes sense.

I returned the valve. Besides the PSI issue, There was a problem with the knob, so it's wash. Live and learn. 

I'm investigating the Air Venturi HPA Jubilee Valve, 7/8 UNF, 4500 PSI.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_HP_Valve_With_Burst_Disc_7_8_UNF_4500_PSI/5809

It's much more money. Plus there's the additional expense of a ($49) hose connection on top of that. 

I'm going to wait until after my return on the valve is refunded before I step in that realm.

Should I proceed and purchase the Venturi "Jubilee" , I'll let you know how it pans out.

Glad to meet you Rong!

Best Regards

Jef

Gerry, do you still have valves available? I'd be interested in buying a couple if you do