SCBA Tank Life

If well cared for & not exhibiting signs of damage I'd say 30 years. The 15 year "limit" federally & state imposed already has a very wide window of safety built in as it assumes these tanks will be experiencing MUCH harsher usage (high heat, more bangs & knocks) & conditions than what your average airgunner will expose them to. If you want to feel even safer, 25 years. It's a personal decision too. I base my opinion on 30 years of working with these tanks. Our compressors, fill adapters & fittings are much more likely to fail than our tanks.

The report done for the Navy confirmed the only mode of failure they have seen has been slow leaks. Mostly from thread damage from doing hydro tests. That mode of failure being at least the most likely mode make me more confident using my "expired" Scott tank. The navy report concludes that the 15 year life doesn't really have a scientific basis.

If well cared for & not exhibiting signs of damage I'd say 30 years. The 15 year "limit" federally & state imposed already has a very wide window of safety built in as it assumes these tanks will be experiencing MUCH harsher usage (high heat, more bangs & knocks) & conditions than what your average airgunner will expose them to. If you want to feel even safer, 25 years. It's a personal decision too. I base my opinion on 30 years of working with these tanks. Our compressors, fill adapters & fittings are much more likely to fail than our tanks.
Well it's not like micro cracks are going to stick out and say here i am ..lol

My thing is is it worth the risk that one day at 3000+ psi it cuts loose and takes out you standing there or anything in proximity? .. not me id prefer to just go with a tank that can be hydroed / us dot and filled at any shop if needed .

Then some feel it's well worth the risk .. idk. Just hope i aint standing there when it bursts.. ouch.

Well it's not like micro cracks are going to stick out and say here i am ..lol

My thing is is it worth the risk that one day at 3000+ psi it cuts loose and takes out you standing there or anything in proximity? .. not me id prefer to just go with a tank that can be hydroed / us dot and filled at any shop if needed .

Then some feel it's well worth the risk .. idk. Just hope i aint standing there when it bursts.. ouch.
@Gerry52 has the right idea. "When it bursts" comment above isn't based on any scientific studies. These tanks are used in fire stations throughout the USA. Please show me just ONE that has burst and caused personnel damage. I can't find ANY, even with the first responders running through burning buildings...

@Gerry52 has the right idea. "When it bursts" comment above isn't based on any scientific studies. These tanks are used in fire stations throughout the USA. Please show me just ONE that has burst and caused personnel damage. I can't find ANY, even with the first responders running through burning buildings...
Guess you aint looked too hard ..

First result
th-2231058149.jpg

HA! Good one. Look at the entire video and the write up that goes with it. They intentionally damaged the tank prior to testing, yet STILL had to pressurize the tank to well in excess of 15,000 psig to get that explosive decompression. I am talking about during actual in-service use, not some destructive testing process...

You can also find pictures of a car crashed halfway through a 3rd story window or of a guy who lived with an arrow through his BRAIN! It doesn't mean it WILL or is LIKELY TO happen. I've been hydrotesting these things for over 30 years & NEVER had it happen or met ANYONE it happened to. Make your own decisions. A BURST is a million times less likely than a small crack during hydro. EVERYTHING in life is a crap shoot. Pick your battles.
Don't forget, hydrotesting occurs at, at least, twice the gauge pressure. Are YOU gonna try putting 10,000 lbs of pressure in a tank? THAT'S why those in the pictures burst!!! NOT because they occurred during NORMAL usage!

Last edited:
I know a SCBA fiber wrapped, 66 cf tanks can’t be filled or hydrotested after 15 years. But, how long can it be filled “at home” with a compressor? Is it good indefinitely?
In Europe, the certification is 30yrs for the same scba tanks. Watch Cantrell's youtube vid. It's Arron Cantrell or Aaron, not sure. Bill and Addi

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.....

Agree 100%

HA! Good one. Look at the entire video and the write up that goes with it. They intentionally damaged the tank prior to testing, yet STILL had to pressurize the tank to well in excess of 15,000 psig to get that explosive decompression. I am talking about during actual in-service use, not some destructive testing process...
Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. There's been a guy shooting a expired carbon fiber tank that I believe was pumped up to 4500 psi that he shot a number of times with a air force Texan .45 or .50 and nothing happened. It took shooting it with a.308 pb rifle to punch a hole in it and it still didn't explode it just started spinning and traveled back towards the shooter almost hitting him. No explosion! Carbon fiber DOES NOT fatigue. Alu and steel do.

You can also find pictures of a car crashed halfway through a 3rd story window or of a guy who lived with an arrow through his BRAIN! It doesn't mean it WILL or is LIKELY TO happen. I've been hydrotesting these things for over 30 years & NEVER had it happen or met ANYONE it happened to. Make your own decisions. A BURST is a million times less likely than a small crack during hydro. EVERYTHING in life is a crap shoot. Pick your battles.
Don't forget, hydrotesting occurs at, at least, twice the gauge pressure. Are YOU gonna try putting 10,000 lbs of pressure in a tank? THAT'S why those in the pictures burst!!! NOT because they occurred during NORMAL usage!
I understand putting a 15 year limit on scba tank that is used BY a fireman. Imagine the tank leaking down while a firefighter is in a situation where the only breathable air is in that tank. But for what we use it for if the tank develops a leak, well I guess we can change our shorts if it's loud enough and get another one. I've worked with carbon composites for 30+ years and can tell you the carbon fiber will maintain it's strength long long long after steel, aluminum, or other metal has rusted or corroded away .

I understand putting a 15 year limit on scba tank that is used BY a fireman. Imagine the tank leaking down while a firefighter is in a situation where the only breathable air is in that tank. But for what we use it for if the tank develops a leak, well I guess we can change our shorts if it's loud enough and get another one. I've worked with carbon composites for 30+ years and can tell you the carbon fiber will maintain it's strength long long long after steel, aluminum, or other metal has rusted or corroded away .
Just so we’re talking about the same thing. The tank (cylinder) is aluminum, its only wrapped in carbon fibers.

The aluminum liner is just there as a mandrel and a way to have threads for the valve. The carbon fiber wrap is what takes the pressure. Without the carbon fiber that liner wouldn't hold more than a few hundred psi if that much.

Looked it up and I guess the aluminum part will take 6500 psi without carbon wrap and 12000 psi with.

Remember, that 6500 psi is MAX pressure.

Last edited:
The aluminum liner is just there as a mandrel and a way to have threads for the valve. The carbon fiber wrap is what takes the pressure. Without the carbon fiber that liner wouldn't hold more than a few hundred psi if that much.

Looked it up and I guess the aluminum part will take 6500 psi without carbon wrap and 12000 psi with.

Remember, that 6500 psi is MAX pressure.
Exactly! (y)

Reactions: Revoman