SCBA question

If your valve is like mine, you can use a Stikman or Skikboy. I have no problem slow filling with it.
20230129_132549.jpg

You want to make sure the one you have a metering orifice in it to restrict flow so it fills slowly. Otherwise you will need to throttle with the tank valve, which isn’t a big deal but you need to be careful. Also, if it is a typical fire department tank, their valves typically have a ratchet mechanism to prevent it from being inadvertently turned off once opened. Most airgun users de-activate that mechanism to prevent overfilling or to rapid of a fill. It’s easy to remove it.

Last edited:
I use an Air Tank Plus Stickboy on my SCBA bottle, works great. Word of caution on the eBay/Amazon fill sets…some do not seal properly on Scott valves, but are fine on MSA valves, at least in my case. This has to do with o-ring placement, and bottle valve vent hole location.
I've owned 4 Ebay "cheapies". The ONLY thing I've ever had to do is replace the adapter's o-ring that goes inside the tank valve nipple. I only own Scott tanks & have ZERO leaking problems. Is the Stikboy a CGA347 collar or a CGA346? A 346 will not work on a 347 nipple but a 347 WILL work on a 346 nipple. Some MSA tanks have shorter 346 nips.

My fill set came from Joe Brancatto (sp?) and works great. I tried a cheap one off Amazon and it leaked badly. I use a retired Scott tank with the spring removed from the ratchet mechanism. The fill set has a small diameter hose which may help but I have no issue filling even my little Prod from the bottle. The tank valve is easy to control.

Reactions: scubajeeper
I bit the bullet years ago and got the Joe B replacement valve and I love it. It’s a little pricey but you get what you pay for. I don’t think my buddy is going to get too deep into airguns. He has a squirrel dog and when she sees a squirrel, she won’t shut up until it’s dead. He lives in a neighborhood and shooting a rimfire is not too safe. I have a Hammerli 850 which I converted to HPA years ago and it’s just been sitting around so I gave it to him. He doesn’t have any experience with PCP’s so I’m trying to get him set up without spending a ton. Thanks for the info. Happy shooting