• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Scammer in classfieds I think !

Fwiw, I've dealt with a number of scammers and every single one, reverse image search was sufficient to prove it. Unless it's obvious that the person is who they say they are, reverse image search.
I was seconds (ok maybe longer) away from sending money for a gun. Things didn’t feel right then I did a reverse image search and boom the pictures were from a Reddit post 2 years prior and a lot of the details didn’t add up. I am going to reverse image search first thing from now on.

I was seconds (ok maybe longer) away from sending money for a gun. Things didn’t feel right then I did a reverse image search and boom the pictures were from a Reddit post 2 years prior and a lot of the details didn’t add up. I am going to reverse image search first thing from now on.

Please explain how to do a "reverse image search" in detail. For DUMMIES! (smile)

Thanks!

Please explain how to do a "reverse image search" in detail. For DUMMIES! (smile)

Thanks!
@Michael

Sorry I didn't do this yesterday.

Go to images.google.com

Click the camera icon in the search bar.

This will bring up an option to search by image on both mobile and desktop. On mobile it will bring up your file/photo browser.

Upload the image, and if there are exact matches on the clearnet, it is likely to find them. If they are from a for sale thread somewhere from two years ago, that's a scam.

It is not 100% fool proof, but works pretty often.

Yandex has almost identical functionality at yandex.com/images --- caveat, Russian search engine but their reverse search is arguably better than Google's these days.

Want to stress that you shouldn't get any false positives this way, but you will definetly get some false negatives --- that is to say just because the pictures don't pop on reverse image search doesn't mean you're in the clear, but it they do on something old, do not buy.

@Michael

Sorry I didn't do this yesterday.

Go to images.google.com

Click the camera icon in the search bar.

This will bring up an option to search by image on both mobile and desktop. On mobile it will bring up your file/photo browser.

Upload the image, and if there are exact matches on the clearnet, it is likely to find them. If they are from a for sale thread somewhere from two years ago, that's a scam.

It is not 100% fool proof, but works pretty often.

Yandex has almost identical functionality at yandex.com/images --- caveat, Russian search engine but their reverse search is arguably better than Google's these days.

Want to stress that you shouldn't get any false positives this way, but you will definetly get some false negatives --- that is to say just because the pictures don't pop on reverse image search doesn't mean you're in the clear, but it they do on something old, do not buy.
Thanks!

Never even knew this was possible... even though I detest Google and everything it stands for...

And DuckDuckGo isn't any better... maybe worse, as they propose that they are less invasive/politically censoring than google.

Yeah... right................... yeah... right...

Anyway, thanks for the explanation! I don't think I am the ONLY one who didn't know how to do this! (smile)

Thanks again!

p.s.

Just be careful what you UPLOAD to this "service". Because if you read the EULA, Google and its affiliates reserve the right to use it for any purpose they deem fit without your consent as you have already agreed to their EULA. Haven't read the EULA of any/many software/services lately have you?

Yes, you need a degree in law to interpret what they mean in detail... (heavy sigh)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Never even knew this was possible... even though I detest Google and everything it stands for...

And DuckDuckGo isn't any better... maybe worse, as they propose that they are less invasive/politically censoring than google.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation! I don't think I am the ONLY one who didn't know how to do this! (smile)

Thanks again!

p.s.

Just be careful what you UPLOAD to this "service". Because if you read the EULA, Google and its affiliates reserve the right to use it for any purpose they deem fit without your consent as you have already agreed to their EULA. Haven't read the EULA of any/many software/services lately have you?

Yes, you need a degree in law to interpret what they mean in detail... (heavy sigh)
tineye.com works well too

Thanks!

Thanks again!

p.s.

Agree with you about the google stuff fwiw. They've also lit their core product quality on fire --- their search is almost useless for whole swathes of topics now.

Reactions: BackStop
Sorry if this is slightly off topic.
I've seem some sellers include a sign in their photos with "Only on AGN". Is this a good procedure, especially if you include you screen name?
I keep meaning to do this and seem to always forget.
I ask sellers to take a new unique photo with screen name and the date on a piece of paper in the photo of the item for sale. I do this especially with high dollar items.

Reactions: Reg Creep