AirMaks Arms Sayonara Rats! Via the Krait Compact 22

Damn @weevil your eyes are great if you can see and hit a rat at 80 yards with that red dot!! I'm very impressed and jealous... unless you're using the Hawke for the longer shots! ;)
I think you’re looking at the picture of MikeVVs gun. Mine has the Hawke, although I think I did have a 5X prism on it earlier. Both are temporary fixtures and I’m leaning towards getting a Hawke SF compact 16X.

Airmaks krait X .25 cal, shooting jsb 34gr pellets at 865 fps. 4 shots at 102 yards

3D49875B-C6DC-4881-85F6-324D96A23284.jpeg

0BA562D3-A587-42D1-B4A2-1E950D89DF58.jpeg

And…. Forgot to mention …. Much nicer trigger than the M3. Clean break at 12oz.
Weevil are you still high on the Krait?
I started the search for a nice Compact and the M3 didn’t make the cut. Too heavy and not what I consider a compact. More of a short full sized gun
I was leaning toward the Katran but like a lot of pistol/carbine PCP’s the power is a bit anemic for my liking. Then I saw this thread and read what you were shooting 18’s at.
I think this honest compact is what I am looking for.

I started the search for a nice Compact and the M3 didn’t make the cut. Too heavy and not what I consider a compact. More of a short full sized gun
I was leaning toward the Katran but like a lot of pistol/carbine PCP’s the power is a bit anemic for my liking. Then I saw this thread and read what you were shooting 18’s at.
Yes, my friend borrowed it and has been using it to clear out rats from his yard, which has horse and chickens. He’s an ELR PB shooter with no real air experience and shocked at how good it is. A very solid pellet shooter.

I'm thinking of adding a HP .177 to the fold for dedicated ratting. I'm down to two guns - Krait L and RTI Prophet 3 as both will do 30 fpe plus at 177 - more than enough for any rat! I usually take both a .22 and .177 when ratting and find that the 177 is just as lethal as the 22 and a certainly flatter shooting for getting the rats in those "crevasse" and through the chicken wire shots! I probably could easily get away with the compact in each gun - especially for sub 50 yard ratting which is 99% of the time but I seem to still have that need for power!:LOL:

All you need is 4 FPE at POI to kill rats… My Atomic XR sends the 14.3 CPHPs at 725 fps/17 fpe at the muzzle. At 50 yards its generating 8.6 fpe. Plenty for 🐀🐀🐀 sub 50 yards and +50 yards shooter doing his/her part of course.🤓🙏

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

Reactions: Pfddi
For the sake of context, I have a canal at the bottom of my yard and my coop is 5ft from the bank. It’s around 70y from my window or lenai and I have NV and thermal for the night work. I was getting 4 or more per night but it’s now 1 or 2 per week, so I think I’m making progress. They tunnel under the coop, which has a wire base, buried 3-4in deep. They cannot get in but after a while, the chickens have no solid surface to walk on. I should put in some slabs or concrete. It is ridiculous. There is a tunnel at 80-85y where the canal goes underground and that is their home, so I have taken to popping them at the entrance. The Krait is good for that with the 18.1s. My 21fpe Katran would not be flat enough to make the shots. I’m threading under some trees, already trimmed to make this possible. Currently also using a Leshiy 2 with 10grain 177 slugs at 980. Then there is a posse of raccoons that eat the rats. Here’s a shot of how the tunneling has now pushed the wire to the surface:

IMG_0782.jpeg

Reactions: L.Leon
All you need is 4 FPE at POI to kill rats… My Atomic XR sends the 14.3 CPHPs at 725 fps/17 fpe at the muzzle. At 50 yards its generating 8.6 fpe. Plenty for 🐀🐀🐀 sub 50 yards and +50 yards shooter doing his/her part of course.🤓🙏

I appreciate your perspective and admire your dedication and enthusiasm for lower powered guns.
Air gunners are like fly fisherman. You have those who revel in their 0-3 wt rods and #24 flies. Then you have those who grab a 7 wt or heavier and do nothing but throw streamers. Then you have the people who would not dream of using anything but a Tenkara rod. God bless them.
I sit in the middle with both fly rods and air guns.
What I am looking for is not reduced power. In fact that has been my frustration. Every compact I have looked at was lower powered than I desire or the term compact was more marketing than reality.
The Krait seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

Reactions: L.Leon