Saying good bye to the Alpha 🐺

After much reluctance I'm sending the alpha 🐺 on its way.

Why? ... I did not buy it to shoot pellets and since daystate does not publish barrel specs for whatever reason, I could not know that it would not shoot slugs well at the distance I wanted, so it left me with no choice. The .25 and .30 cal options shoot slugs, why slow down the twist rate in the .22? The jsb knock outs did well at 50 , after 50 yards they started destabilizing and it was extremely clear. At 100 the groups were 6 inch groups with the occasional lucky strike of two slugs touching on target, wind was non-existent yesterday.

My taipan compact was shooting BETTER with 18.14 pellets than the alpha was with the jsb knock outs (best slug I could find for it) , bust out the pellets and the alpha wolf .22 is a winner... but I don't want to shoot pellets with it.

The rifle is SICK, it looks sick, it is sick to shoot, the fit , finish, and feel is top freaking notch but it won't do what I want. So bye bye.

20220702_043350.jpg

On to the next part of class for me.

Last edited:
Sad deal. Had the chance to shoot one the day it was released. It shot pellets very well and I really like the gun. I just could not get past the price. A shame that it wont shoot slugs for you.
With slugs increasing in popularity and taking up a larger portion of the ammo market, you would think having a barrel that shot slugs well would be part of the design criteria.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Went through the same stuff with the D/W. Tried to warn others, but they still drank the Kool Aid. Like my dad once said to a guy being secretive about something he was selling: "Keep it a secret", and he moved on.
I drank that Kool Aid man but fully admit that for my intended want/use it was a mistake. So off to the next. I always have a Taipan to do exactly what I intend it to do for when things fail like this.

I had Issues with my Maverick yesterday,,,,, still have i assume but did find one issue.
Cleaned the barrel day b4 yesterday, took straw barrel out to do it, put back in rifle with the clocking mark in the same direction.
Went to my friends place to shoot and work a little yesterday, and to my horror, could barely hit a barn door on 50 M and i was no way near where my scope was optically zeroed so i had to use my adjustable rings to get in the ballpark, and even then, well i was shooting 21 shot ( 1 magazine ) groups of 5 - 6 inches CTC ( i am not clipping the moderator )
TBH it looked as if i had pulled the rifle behind the car for the 34 km drive to my friends place.

I have never seen this before cleaning gun in the same way.
A little later i got a jam and had to pull the whole barrel to clear that, NP or rather big P cuz i missed a 13 grain slug that had entered the"transfer" hole in the rifle, i dident notice anything putting the barrel back, aside for then trying to shoot it and it was almost impossible to cock the cun, had to yank pretty hard to get the sear to engage.

I have looked over the barrel ASO again today on the work bench and i can not tell why the rifle group so bad now.

I am inclined to retire the Maverick and pick up a new slug gun, cuz truth be told it have been a annoying gun, and i get less and less "impressed" with the brand i have to admit.
BUT ! nothing on the playing field right now that capture my interest, i think i will have to wait untill i can get a purpose build .177 slug gun.

Its a bit late but if that was the only issue with the alpha wolf 'the barrel' I would have just rebarreled it

Allen

Looked into it. I also wasn't too pleased with Daystate telling me to go eff myself when I asked for the twist rate . Made the decision to send it down the road a lot easier.

Putting a new barrel on a air gun,,,, here in Denmark at least, that would get so expensive you could just buy another rifle instead.
If i had access to a lathe + the tools it would be absolutely no problem.

I am looking forward to rifles made to shoot slugs, instead of what we got now which are rifles made to shoot pellets but can also do some slugs sort of okay.
I dont want okay i want the best "GD" chance to making my shots with slugs.
And i am especially let down by FX that do make slug barrels for all of their guns,,,,,,, as long as it is not the .177 caliber am locked into by my benevolent lords.

Looked into it. I also wasn't too pleased with Daystate telling me to go eff myself when I asked for the twist rate . Made the decision to send it down the road a lot easier.

It's unfortunate that some manufacturers are that way. My Delta wolf is currently on loan. I already have FX adapter for a FX barrel if things do not work out like yours did. However I would rather have a solid barrel on the deltawolf.

Allen