• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SAVE or BUY IT?

Hi everybody, I’m new here, this is my first post and I have a question. I was planning to buy the Marauder .22 as entry PCP rifle, now I’ve been looking at the Air Arms S510 XS Ultimate Sporter which is 3x the price of the Marauder. Should I save more money and buy the S510 or should I get the Marauder for a while and then in a future step up on the next level? I’ll be getting the Hawke Sports Vantage 4-12x50 scope with either Sportsmatch mounts or BKLs. My main usage for the rifle would be indoor range 100yds (nice right?), and small game (squirrel and rabbits).

Thanks,

-Gabe

I have a Marauder in 25 caliber. It’s a decent entry level gun, however accuracy at 100 is not great you can hit a target but I wouldn’t count on groups smaller than 4-5 inches. At 75 and less its ok for hunting. I don’t have and experience with the Air Arms but I’m sure others will chime in. There are a few upgrades you can do with the Marauder to improve its capabilities.

Top shelf is not an expression or state of the rich exclusively. It can be had by we mere mortals also. I went top shelf and bought a Daystate Wolverine "R" (regulated) when they first came out (may have even gotten the first one delivered in the U.S.) and in this day of FX rifles, I have never looked back. No, it isn't fully adjustable like FXes, but I bet many FXes are just like golf clubs, with people buying the ones that can be tweaked in every direction and then set them for the neutral position?

It came to me with perfection attached so my top shelf purchase was --------------- top shelf.

So with all the above gibberish cut through, I suggest you too go top shelf and get the S510XS and don't look back.

By the way, I also got a Gauntlet and after hours of blood, sweat and tears modifications, it shoots almost as well as the Wolverine.

My advice would be to find a good higher end used gun being sold by a reputable member here whether it be AA, FX, Daystate etc. I've owned all of them including a MROD. The MROD is a decent value for the money and if you happen to get a good barrel and find the right ammo to pair with it you can achieve decent results, but it will never be an AA, FX, etc. Don't forget you need an air source for any of these if you don't have that already and will need to account for that in your budget. At the lower end of the price range for the better brands, I'd suggest taking a look at a used Daystate Huntsman or Regal. Terrific quality and handles far better than the MROD and won't break the bank.

well if you are already shooting in that indoor range then we must believe you have something already to shoot

sometimes the rule of doing it right the first time could be the answer of your question but of course there seems to be I lot of input of what that right could be

it seems you have done your homework so I would say save but there is that old way of making that monthly payment and enjoying today

I want to see the indoor range, as a kid I had 70 feet

good luck on your decision and take care

mike

I agree to go with the more expensive gun, with one caveat. If it’s going to take you a long time to save for the 510, I would buy the Maurader now so you can be shooting while you’re saving for the 510. 

Stoti

I agree with that!

Buy and enjoy the Marauder until you've saved up.

At the point you can sell the Marauder in the classifieds here and you'll get a good portion of your money back.

Or you may even want to keep it 😁

That's kind of how this PCP thing works. One is never enough 🔃

Good luck, sir.

Matt

I have a Marauder in 25 caliber. It’s a decent entry level gun, however accuracy at 100 is not great you can hit a target but I wouldn’t count on groups smaller than 4-5 inches. At 75 and less its ok for hunting. I don’t have and experience with the Air Arms but I’m sure others will chime in. There are a few upgrades you can do with the Marauder to improve its capabilities.

I am taking Grackles at 80 to 100 yards with my Tuned M-Rod .25 with a JSAR SS Valve shooting VK 34 Grain HP Bullets made for the FX Impact!

It doesn't matter what you buy now because it won't be long before you will have another and another and another ........ :p

Marauder you save some serious cash. Do you really need 100 yard 3" groups as opposed to 5" groups? Cause you ain't gonna get much tighter groups with the AA. Been there done that.... with TWO AA guns. The bluing, the Benelli stocks, they just didn't make my guns shoot better. 

I have had both a marauder (gen 1 and 2) and a S510. Bang for the buck you can't beat a marauder. That's a lot of money being spent just to tighten up groups at 100 yards when the marauder is going to smack down just as many squirrels and rabbits.

from my personal experience, if I were going to spend AA XS S510 Ultimate money on an airgun, (assuming it had to be more of a long gun as opposed to a bullpup) the two I would have trouble deciding on would be a Vulcan 2 Tactic or a Kaliber Cricket Mini Carbine. The CZ barrels in the Vulcan are consistently some of the most accurate on the market and the barrels in the Cricket aren't anything to sneeze at. 

Good luck on your selection. 

You are asking the wrong people for an answer. We are all addicts here and we will tell you to buy the best you can afford, even if you have to wait and gather your dollars together until you have enough. It’s just a progression in the process to “scratch that itch” or get the same high as the first time. It will only cost you time and money to start with less than you already want. A wise man just recently quoted this wisdom to me in another thread I had “buy once, cry once”. Go “BIG” and get what you want the first time around.

There's always going to be a small, medium, and large (or low-end, middle, and top-tier). Typically, we get what we pay for! That's why "Buy right, buy once," is such good counsel. However, there's a lot you can do with low-end tools despite the higher level of frustration--like not having a 1-2" group or not being able to make incredible shots at 170 yards. So, decide what needs vs. wants you have. E.g., shooting regularly at 80 yds and only occasionally over 100. If so, buy for the need, not the want. Likewise, what targets are you shooting--pests or paper? If small pests are the game, why a larger caliber? If long range, why a smaller caliber with a worse ballistic coefficient? Such questions can help you determine what's the best fit for you! 

have fun, be safe, and don't look back!

Arch_E

Reactions: ToddGeddes63
There are lessons to be learned from each rifle you own. So, my advice would be to go for the Marauder. Enjoy it, learn it, and learn about yourself while you save up for the next rifle. I've had great rifles and not so great rifles on the way to where I am today. I took lessons away from each one and the only thing I would change about the journey I took would be to have bought more rifles!! LOL!

Tom

I will add one more gun to the mix, I had had very good luck with the Diana Outlaw rifles.

$500 regulated, side lever cocking, a good magazine or single shot tray., shrouded barrel and moderator.

I have owned. 25, .22 and currently a .177 I bought used and use it in Field target and do very well with it.

I have not shot any of them past 50 yards though, but all three calibers did very well.

To add to the save or buy now, if unsure if PCP airguns are for you go with a Mrod or Diana Outlaw, but I have found myself regretting not buying the rifle I really wanted just because it was pricey then find myself eventually buying the gun I really wanted later ( at least with my powder burners.)

Also When I started with PCP I bought used and tried a few till I bought my FX Impact new around 2015 .

Hope this helps!

Thanks John