Sandbags vs bipods, Which Is Your general use choice?

For my benchrest shooting, I use a Lyman Bag mounted on a Lyman Bag Jack up front and in the rear, I use two Caldwell Bags. I adjust the Lyman Bag to fit the forearm of the rifle where the rifle is snug and no movement. This set up is rock solid for me.

ThomasT
Advantage-1.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
All human support here. No sand bags, no bi / tri / quad legged support pods. No benches for support.

Everyone knows...todays guns shoot well, but how well does the...shooter shoot ?

Mike
How do you test different pellets or any changes you might make that change how your guns shoot? Sight in scopes offhand?

Last edited:
Sand bags here for 99% of the time. I shoot off of a deck rail and the bag really stabalizes the rifle. Protektor is made in USA and they have great sand. They are the best that I can find and they rock.

Reactions: bigEdd and ThomasT
For my benchrest shooting, I use a Lyman Bag mounted on a Lyman Bag Jack up front and in the rear, I use two Caldwell Bags. I adjust the Lyman Bag to fit the forearm of the rifle where the rifle is snug and no movement. This set up is rock solid for me.

ThomasT
View attachment 395166
That's a lot of expensive bags. Lucky to have them.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Bags,,,,
when I am on my 40-50 yd range,,,
I have 2 bipods, don't use them
it is what you like, that matters,,,
the majority of my shooting is out a window, free hand, rested on a ledge, pesting crap birds,25-30 yds, no bipod or bags

for my 10 yd indoor range I use a rest like this , for testing and zeroing scopes and lots of cold winter nights just wasting lead
if I am playing with my springers, it is a front bag only

Last edited:
I like a clamp on the front like a Bog Pod but sitting on a heavy three legged bench type rest. With this setup, I prefer to have the elevation adjustment on the front rest, but my Caldwell does not work that way as it uses an elevation adjustment that is under the grip of the stock which is not as steady as the clamp grip and a rear bag. When not using the pistol grip elevation adjustment of the Caldwell, I use an eared bag on the rear that fits the contour of the stock, adjusting windage by moving the rear bag side to side.

I am looking at adapting a clamp grip to my very heavy Caldwell Benchrest type front rest.

In the field when standing for near bench rest stability, I use two tripods. The front with a clamp on an M-Lok rail on the gun or a Bog Pod type clamp on the tripod clamping on the front of the gun and a geared tripod head on another fairly heavy tripod in the rear that is used for elevation and windage via a geared head. I will post some photos later perhaps. I can often hold 1/2 MOA or better, standing in tall sagebrush with this setup.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I shot a lot of 30 yard challenge targets this year and managed to shoot 3 199s and one 200. I shot one of the 199s with a bipod and a monopod. The monopod is my own design. I shot one of the 199s with a Caldwell Rock BR front rest and a Protector sandbag at the rear. I shot one of the 199s with a bipod and a home made windage and elevation adjustable monopod in the rear. This is also the setup I used for the one 200. I attached a picture. I like the Caldwell Rock BR or the windage monopod for benchrest targets because I can more easily adjust for the next shot. But I don't think one setup gives me better results than the others. I'm also confident I could get as good results from ThomasT's setup but I would have difficulty taking the time to setup each shot. I am not naturally very patient.

It's squirrel season now so I am practicing shooting sitting with sticks and standing with sticks or braced to a porch column. I am not normally shooting targets this way although I have. Mostly I shoot my "know your limits" targets and trying for consistent hits to the one inch at 25 yards. Sitting it's pretty easy. Standing I am getting a little better but it isn't easy.

windage monopod on 22.jpg

I like a clamp on the front like a Bog Pod but sitting on a heavy three legged bench type rest. With this setup, I prefer to have the elevation adjustment on the front rest, but my Caldwell does not work that way as it uses an elevation adjustment that is under the grip of the stock which is not as steady as the clamp grip and a rear bag. When not using the pistol grip elevation adjustment of the Caldwell, I use an eared bag on the rear that fits the contour of the stock, adjusting windage by moving the rear bag side to side.

I am looking at adapting a clamp grip to my very heavy Caldwell Benchrest type front rest.

In the field when standing for near bench rest stability, I use two tripods. The front with a clamp on an M-Lok rail on the gun or a Bog Pod type clamp on the tripod clamping on the front of the gun and a geared tripod head on another fairly heavy tripod in the rear that is used for elevation and windage via a geared head. I will post some photos later perhaps. I can often hold 1/2 MOA or better, standing in tall sagebrush with this setup.
I would definitely like to see that set up sometime. (y)
Joe