• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sandbags and bean bags

I've been shooting on some bean bags that I bought years ago and the reason I call them bean bags is because I filled them with pinto beans.

Reason I fill them with pinto beans is because I wanted a rest that was soft enough that the zero that I set the gun up with would still be good when I carry the gun into the field.

Again that was years ago and I had completely forgoten about my reasoning when I purchased and set up those rests. 

Fast forward to recently I bought some sandbags nice leather ones from Midway USA. They were filled already with with sand. Sand is a lot less compressible than pinto beans.

That can be seen in the Target below. While I was shooting I realized that my zero was moving around. And that is when the thought crossed my mind that the bag full of sand was a lot harder than the one full of beans. At that point I remembered why I selected pinto beans.

This is something to think about if you're a hunter.

IMG_20220410_183959486.1650149322.jpg

@OldCrow I hadn’t even thought about this. Since you brought up pinto beans I have a few questions. I’ve heard of some using rice and some sort of corn fodder by product for fill material. When it comes to beans and/or rice, do insects like weevils become a concern at some point? Also in regards to the beans. I’m sitting outside right now and it’s pretty humid. Would there ever be a concern about beans germinating in humidity or perhaps molding in your rest?

I suppose there are lots of things that could happen. I kept the bags dry and they were lined with plastic. I figured if things got really really bad I'd always be able to have beans with my squirrels.

1f601.svg

I see. Just something I’ve been curious about for a while, but I hadn’t read any sort of discussion about it.

Well seriously if you keep them dry they will last a very long time. How long I don't know but a web search would probably turn something up. I filled those bags at least 8 years ago and I would not hesitate to cook those beans in a pinch. All bets are off if you get them wet though.

The rest can make a big difference when shooting springers !!! I have often used foam pellets in my bag for fill. One thing I might add is the surface the rifle lays on....it works better if it is slippery !! Grippy surfaces like leather will often change your zero as the rifle cannot move back and forth easily. I do use leather bags, but I add a strip of slippery cloth or a strip of moving pad to rest the rifle on...yes, it does make a noticible difference. Springers need to move forward/ backward during the shot cycle or they will jump up and down thus altering your zero. Hope this helps.....

The rest can make a big difference when shooting springers !!! I have often used foam pellets in my bag for fill. One thing I might add is the surface the rifle lays on....it works better if it is slippery !! Grippy surfaces like leather will often change your zero as the rifle cannot move back and forth easily. I do use leather bags, but I add a strip of slippery cloth or a strip of moving pad to rest the rifle on...yes, it does make a noticible difference. Springers need to move forward/ backward during the shot cycle or they will jump up and down thus altering your zero. Hope this helps.....

Now that is something I had not thought about. Thanks!

This post reminds me of a material used by a company that @beerthief introduced me to. They make some nice looking leather shooting rests. Some have the option of having a slick material sewn into the top as opposed to leather. Look at the “slick silver” option if it sounds interesting to you. I’m unsure if people use these to shoot springers from a rest but it may be worth looking into. Here’s a link to one of their bags. https://protektormodel.com/collections/standard-front-bags/products/2-medium-owl-ear-front-bag?variant=16193823506522

They make them in Pennsylvania to my understanding. 

I have been using an windage adjustable front rifle rest, with a leather owl ear bag and have noticed what I think of as unjustified fliers. I will try lining it with a layer of cloth, maybe a folded handkerchief and see what happens.

My springers don't like a rear bag when on the bench, they're more consistent with my off hand under the buttstock. I tried shooting my TX200 off the adjustable rests I use for center and rimfire rifles and found that it seemed I was constantly chasing my zero. I have a Bulls Bag and started shooting the TX on it, the rifle didn't like being laid in the trough, but when the bag was turned 90° and laid the rifle across the trough my zero stayed consistent and the groups tightened up too. Springers are fickle creatures, they remind me of women, all similar but all different too. LOL

All of my bags with the exception of the Caldwell set have river sand in them. The Caldwell's have what looks to be corncob, if it gets wet it will swell and bust the bag at the seams, been there and done that.