Saftey when airguning in the wilderness

IMG_20210717_142046.1627064030.jpg

I enjoy hunting ground squirrel and Grey squirrel here in CA as well as many non game animals which may be invasive or pests. I often find myself in very remote places alone and out of cell phone service. I always carry extra water, food, money in case I need to buy a ride out of somewhere or bribe someone to do the right thing etc. I also carry a fire starter, cordage and a small medical kit and when possible in national forest I carry a 9mm pistol in the rare case that I run into a bear or mountain lion that wants to eat me. I feel very comfortable with my skills and preparations and feel most at ease alone in God's country.... At least I did. I got a pretty big reality check two Sundays ago when as I was simply walking down a steep trail in the hills of Napa wine country when I slipped. Now I've done this 1000 times b4 and like every other time I put my left leg in front of me and crouched down to slide with my butt on my right leg. Well this time my ankle rolled on a protruding rock and my tibia broke above my ankle and my fib broke at the knee joint. I had no cell service, no way to signal for help and no way to make shelter for myself. Luckily this was a rare time that I was hiking with a friend. He walked up to the top of the hill and called 911. Literally 5 mins later a helicopter dropped off a first responder and soon I was being flown down to an ambulance which took me to a hospital. Now I am not going to give up on hunting alone in the wilderness but there are some things I'll do differently. #1 I am going to buy some kind of GPS panic button rescue signal. Not sure which one but I need it. Second I will carry a good emergency blanket with one side hunter orange not only for signaling but shelter if I need to spend a cold night alone on a hill somewhere. I will also be better at telling people exactly what rout I plan on taking so if I miss checking in they can call emergency services. I knew all that stuff before this happened but I got cocky. I've been in the woods as long as I can remember and have always relied on my skillet and preparations to get me out of trouble. I've survived white out blizzards, allergic reactions, truck breaking down, etc. I feel more humbled now. A simple miss step could have cost me my life and my daughter could be raised by someone else. Not cool. Lucky for me God was with me and he had me with someone that kept his cool and quickly got help. I just wanted to let you guys know how quick things can go south so that when your out airgun hunting or even just hiking you will be prepared and have the things you need to get by. I can't stress how important some kind of signal is. The helicopter pilot was very insistent that I should carry a bright blanket with orange on it or at the very least a signal mirror. My friend waving his brown hat under a canopy of trees was not prudent. Lucky for me the helicopter pilot knew the area super well and hiked the same trail I did. If not I could have waited a long time for help. OK guys hoped this helped. I have had the surgery I needed and will eventually be OK. Looks like I won't walk for 6 months unaided by crutches or at least a cane but I will walk again and my baby girl still has a daddy. I am blessed beyond all I deserve and don't need or require sympathy. Just please go over your EDC and make any changes that might save your life...... Oh yeah almost forgot. I hate boots.... I mean I hate them. They are heavy and hot and lame. However I will be wearing them on hikes from now on. My trail runners failed me bad. I don't think I'd have a break at all if I had tall boots. Lesson learned. God bless everyone stay safe out there.

I read this thinking of the novelette by Robb White titled "Deathwatch" where a guide takes a sadistic killer into the desert to hunt sheep with a .358 Winchester "Magnum" (not in existence but writer's levity in real centerfire cartridges) to accidentally shoot an old desert homeless man and how that story "gets worse".

Thing is when we are out in the field or desert or place where the nearest hospital is too far away except for a helicopter or Concord plane (!) we are all essentially screwed in the worst way.

At times in our lives we discover a moment in time when it seems the hand of or help of or intervention of the creator behind the whole articulate package.

Kindly,

Glad to hear that you’re on the mend. Satellite phones are relatively inexpensive. About a hundred a month. Limited minutes but they do rollover monthly. For myself I take Plavix/ Warfrin for heart and tia’s. Any cut and I bleed like a stuck pig. Glad you posted your story because I have been putting off getting some kind of wound clotting agent and you have reminded me so now I’m getting on Amazon!!

I think you hit the nail on the head. However, you also need to add don’t go into an area if you don’t have the experience to be there.

@raden1942 I am very happy that you are doing well and you used your head to get out of a situation you were prepared to handle if it went south.

I just hear and have seen people going into remote areas who aren’t prepared if things go south. you shouldn’t rely on modern technology to save your ass. I always pack heavy for this reason, hell I even take a first aid kit to a hotel in the city because you never know.

Hey, Raden, I’m not any type of wilderness survivalist Rambo so I’m not going to offer you any advice on that, but I’m here to say well, “I’m glad you’re still here, too”.

Its gonna be a long heal process, just make sure you don’t rush that part of it so things don’t mend right. You sound like one tough guy, to have gone thru something like that and maintain positive vibes. Your daughter will have a campfire story to tell her friends, her kids, and her grandkids about her bad a$$ Dad, that’s for sure.

Do us a favor and bump this thread up every once in awhile to let us know how your healing up, ok

Augie the BR

Glad you're out of the woods safely.. Good to be hiking with a buddy. My wife won't let me go out and play by myself anymore..used to make solo trips bow hunting all the time..not anymore....and just for the reason that you experienced.

I used to think treking poles were for "old people"..but have started to carry them..and use them when terain justifies..they can keep you from twisting an ankle or worse and double as shooting stix. And if you do fall and something bad happens they double as splints..LOL.

Sorry to hear about this, definitely a scary thing that can happen to anyone. I agree that sometimes it's as simple as wearing the wrong footwear that can get us in trouble. I've had many things go horribly wrong over the years, one of the worst falls I've had was having my laces get caught and sent me into a pile of rocks. Traveling with someone else is always good, even then it's best to let others know exactly where you plan on hiking and when you will return. The Garmin In Reach is a great one, the text feature is excellent and well worth the money. Hopefully you get back on the trail soon and are feeling better. Cheers 

My other hobby is biking gravel and dirt roads, when I leave the house I never come home without 60-80 kilometers riding. (me 61yo)

I have a garmin Venue2 watch and a bike GPS Edge1030, both of these in sync with a cellphone (in my bike frame bag) and setup four phone number/emails to notify. Garmin can detect incidents (you drop the bike or drop yourself) and the four contacts get instant notification and can track you down on the google map.

Earlier years I had always with me some sugary protein bars and minimum 2 Liter liquids, in a 32C (measured in the shade somewhere else, but the asphalt was probably over 60C) I ran out with a liquid far from civilization, and I got a muscle cramp in both legs upper and lower...cannot move anymore...Learned the lesson. This year I mounted more bottle holders on the frame and I don't go biking w/o at least 4-5 Liters and at least one is a goood mixture with vitamins+electrolytes+magnesium. 

Just wanted to point out, "out there" anything could happen, at least some basic survivors kit always keep around you.

The Garmin InReach is the best way to insure you can communicate with others via satellite and have your location known. Even with a GPS and a cell phone or VHF radio what happens is that the position is given incorrectly to the rescue agency. With boats out in the ocean the end result is a search taking many hours as the location was not provided correctly. Now boat VHF radios have a button to push so the radio sends the location instead of a boater giving it verbally.

With rock climbing and scuba diving and even long distance bicycling I have used the buddy system to stay safe and have a better chance of surviving a mishap. Even a car breaking down 30 miles from the nearest highway would cause problems for its occupants. With the Garmin InReach there are several plans available depending on how many messages you want to be able to send.

The Garmin inreach is a good thing, but having basic survival skills is more important. Basic bushcrafting skills, i.e. being able to build a fire and know how to make basic shelter etc, should be part of any outdoors enthusiast's basic skill set.

I grew up learning map and compass, knowing how to read the snow conditions to prevent getting caught in an avalanche (a must if you go into the mountains in the winter), taking a water purification straw with you, supplies in your car in case of a breakdown and etc.

Also, I know that once I leave the truck something might happen and as you increase the risk you have to prepare accordingly. Like anything, only increase the level of risk as you develop the personal skills / tradecraft to handle the risk. Plan what you need plus 2 days in case poop goes south.

Even with devices like the Garmin it could be days before anyone can come and rescue you, so again, over prepare to be prepared.

To quote an ex-Everest climber I know who taught me to climb, said "You have to know and accept to write yourself off once you leave the truck, so be prepared you don't." The former is how I leave the truck.

Ps. Also, the courts have ruled that there is SAR groups have no legal responsibility to come and get you if your stuff goes south. If you participate in high risker activities, yes hiking / hunting / fishing in the mountains qualifies, in the end you have to know you are on your own.

The Garmin inreach is a good thing, but having basic survival skills is more important. Basic bushcrafting skills, i.e. being able to build a fire and know how to make basic shelter etc, should be part of any outdoors enthusiast's basic skill set.

I grew up learning map and compass, knowing how to read the snow conditions to prevent getting caught in an avalanche (a must if you go into the mountains in the winter), taking a water purification straw with you, supplies in your car in case of a breakdown and etc.

To get back on topic, I also have mix feeling about device like the Garmin InReach and the Spot device.

- Seems like they give a false sens of security, and people will often get in trouble (or take more risk) because they know they can easily call for help. Some S&R folks are asking for better regulations on these devices, as they are the ones called to get these individuals out.

As far as pandemic goes, I think the covid numbers are kind of disappointing

You failed to include:

NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus.

- Seems like they give a false sens of security, and people will often get in trouble (or take more risk) because they know they can easily call for help. Some S&R folks are asking for better regulations on these devices, as they are the ones called to get these individuals out.

I think it is a given today that you will be responsible for footing the S&R bill. 

I think the Sat phone and Garmin InReach are good suggstions, always a good idea to inform someone of your exact area that you intend to be in, location of vehicle and return time. Ham Radio may be another option?