Saftey when airguning in the wilderness

The Garmin inreach is a good thing, but having basic survival skills is more important. Basic bushcrafting skills, i.e. being able to build a fire and know how to make basic shelter etc, should be part of any outdoors enthusiast's basic skill set.

I grew up learning map and compass, knowing how to read the snow conditions to prevent getting caught in an avalanche (a must if you go into the mountains in the winter), taking a water purification straw with you, supplies in your car in case of a breakdown and etc.

To get back on topic, I also have mix feeling about device like the Garmin InReach and the Spot device.

- Seems like they give a false sens of security, and people will often get in trouble (or take more risk) because they know they can easily call for help. Some S&R folks are asking for better regulations on these devices, as they are the ones called to get these individuals out.

Can't save everyone. Either you learn/respect how fear (to a level) can help your from those that try to teach you, from experiences, or other... or you pay. InReach and such devices are only auxiliary support or last ditch support. For those that don't learn (and personally know a few in my circle of friends)... not much else to be said. Can't (and shouldn't) cater to everyone and their habits. Thats why our country is such a poop show as is today.