Safety PCP versus .22LR subsonic

I live in Brazil and would like to hear any opinion on this matter:

I hunt pigeons with my FX2 Impact .25 , 34 grains and 900 fps, my question is regarding safety in a moderately inhabited countryside were I hunt , i if I shoot a .22 LR subsonic round , instead of my air rifle ? considering that most shot are taken at 45º on birds sitting on trees ?

Given the assumptions you describe, the performance, and risk of the two are essentially the same. With either one, you need to know where the pellet/bullet is going. I don't know what "moderately inhabited" means, but I would want several hundred yards of uninhabited woods behind a shot taken at a bird in a tree. I have the same situation with squirrels in my yard. If I shoot one in a tree, it has to be a situation in which the pellet will go into a tree on my property after passing through (or by) the squirrel. I have to pass up a lot of shots because of the safety concerns. 

The difference between a 34 grain pellet and a 36 grain bullet is the range of travel. The pellet with a hollow skirt slows down much quicker than the solid bullet. Also the pellet will deform more easily as well as losing it's energy much quicker. I live on 3 acres and shoot pellets and .22 rimfire subsonic. I only shoot the firearm into known backstops, knowing that they will not leave my property nor endanger anyone.

I have a legally obtained moderator on an Anschutz 22lr. Shooting the CCI Quiet ammo it is indeed very quiet. I’m not exactly sure what the bullet weight and velocity is but I’m going to guess 40 gr and maybe 800 FPS . Very similar to my 22 cal PCP’s. 

That set up would be a very good alternative to an air rifle but sadly it’s not nearly as accurate. I have not had an opportunity to shoot groups or to chronograph but from my limited experience the Quiet ammo accuracy is disappointing.

when it warms up som I’ll do some side by side testing. 

The CCI quiets are rated @ 710 fps. In guns with a tighter bore (C Z for example) they tend to travel even slower........about 610--630 fps. At that slower velocity the standard barrel twist rate of 16 :1 is too slow. You need a faster rate ; of 9 : 1 to get decent accuracy. Not intending to lead this thread away from the OP's question.

A pellet shot into the air will always be safer than a bullet, and as mentioned the slower the pellet the safer it will be. CCI has a quite hollow point segmented bullet. I am running them down a 21 inch barrel on a bolt action 22rf. They are slightly less accurate than my royal 500 but not much. The report is indeed louder but again not much about 1/4 to a 3rd louder than my 500. No joke they are same hole at 20 yds and more accurate than my 25 past 50yds. The same gun wont shoot any other sub sonic much better than i could throw them. I have no idea of how or why they work but they do. Get a chance check them out, they are what many of us have been waiting on for a long long time.

one HUGE difference between them: the law

When the sheriff shows up, and your shooting a FIREARM your in trouble. If your shooting a pellet gun, yer likley STILL in trouble, just not as bad as discharging a fire arm in a built up area.....

Probably. Idk what Brazilian law is regarding pellet guns. As for my answer: shoot neither if your backdrop isn't safe. Always shoot in a safe direction with a backdrop that is desolate or a mountain and so on. Moderately inhabited areas do not spell safe shooting areas in my mind. Be safe, be smart, and always shoot toy guns or real guns in safe directions.

I remember seeing CCI CB Caps hitting the ground and skipping along for a long ways down range. Non frangible ammo can travel a long ways after hitting a hard surface.

Gotta agree here. 

During school I had a rotation in Eastern Nebraska and my preceptor came from a ranching/farming family. We got to talking and her husband took me out to their land, said I could shoot all the the pdogs I wanted. I spent every Saturday there, couple months. Lol, shot a lot of dogs. Semi arid and just had a .22 long rifle but could sure see those bullets skipping for a long ways. 

Fast forward ten years and most of my shooting is PCPs, back home in AZ but still dryland and pdogs. Most people would be quite surprised to see how much a 13 grain .22 PELLET will skip after it goes through a pdog. Further impressive to see how much the direction they're traveling can be changed after passing through a critter. 

I really limit where I'll shoot the slugs, specifically because of how much better they retain their energy than pellets. Rimfire? That's another big step up in danger will robinson. 

At a PD town, one of the safest rounds to shoot is something like .223 Rem with 50-55 grain frangible bullets or .204 Ruger with 32-40 grain frangible bullets. When they hit anything, they pretty much just turn into small lead fragments. When loading my CZ 527 .223 Rem with soft frangible bullets like the 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip at maximum velocity well over 3300 FPS, sometimes the bullet never reaches the target as it disintegrates on the way to the target due to centrifugal force. If it hits a PD, you get an exploding water bottle sound. Of course I am shooting low over the ground and the bullet will soon hit something and totally disintegrate whether it hits a PD or not. Shooting up into the air is an entirely different matter. As for .22LR, if you miss the PD, it will skip over the ground for a long ways and is actually more dangerous to anything behind the PD. When pellets skip over the ground, they do it for less distance than .22LR. Moderators are legal with airguns, but they are only legal on firearms if going after nongame varmints, and you better prove you were after varmints if caught. The way to "airgun hunt with .22LR" is to use subsonic rounds, and the hardest hitting with the least noise is the Aguila 60-grain Sniper SubSonic. It runs at about 900 FPS out of my CZ 452 American and is no louder than my BSA Lonestar .25 without a moderator, and poSSSibly even quieter. Mainly the tone is different between the two. The SSS is like nothing else out there, and not all standard twist rifles shoot it accurately. I shoot at altitude so I do not need a sea level twist rate. That means it will tumble on impact and has extreme knockdown power on varmint class animals. It is sometimes used by veterinarians as a quiet and humane way of euthanizing terminally ill animals. The SSS does not work well in semi-auto rifles due to the extreme gas leakage from the short case in concert with the looser chamber. The SSS also burns very dirty and will soon foul up a semi-auto action even if the first few rounds cycle the action. I had very bad experience with SSS in a Ruger 10/22, but a Ruger 77/22 shoots it extremely well and very accurately. The SSS shot from standard twist barrels will tumble immediately upon impact with anything and that limits its downrange lethality as it quickly slows down. The hardest thing is finding some as it is always in short supply. It costs about twice of what JSB Exact King Heavy costs in .25 cal. If I have to put down something rather large but keep things quiet, it gets the nod. For birds no good, except for very big ones like a turkey. For something really tough like a porcupine or badger, better than any .25 cal pellet. If you want to get attacked by a badger at a PD town, just try shooting one with your airgun.

I recommend that a question you have like this be researched on a ballistic calculator. I switched from rimfire because I was passing up shots at squirrels in trees because there were some houses a quarter mile away in almost every direction. I now shoot a 14.3 gr pellet at 840 fps and know that before the pellet gets 300 yards it is out of gas and falling to earth no matter what angle I shoot it.

Air rifle shooting a diabolo is the best option when shooting up into the trees. A typical “sub sonic” .22 LR load is still darn near full power, and that .22 bullet holds on to its power and velocity a lot better than a diabolo. That means even though subsonics are marginally less powerful than a full power round it can still travel nearly a mile.

Most diabolo pellets in .177 or .22 won’t do better than 500-600 yards no matter how fast you get them started. .25’s maybe a little further but nowhere near a .22 bullet.

If you are shooting slugs, the dangerous range is longer but a .22 subsonic still beats them by a wide margin except for the most powerful PCP guns.

I like the CCI Quiet loads, but they are strictly a target round or for pest control with a safe back stop. For squirrel hunting or any kind of shooting into the trees, I use air rifle and diabolo pellets or a shotgun, and nothing else.

The round i am refering to has a max fps of 710 and it takes a long barrel to get it there. So no not even close to a full power 22 rf long rifle round. The danger of it compared to a air gun slug is laughable. The quite bullets are much safer one is a powdered metal the one im now useing is a segmented bullet. One vaporizes on impact the other breaks into 3 diffrent sections. A air gun slug retains its mass and is far more of a post impact threat. The point i am trying to make is now for far less money a hunter can have pcp slug power levels and pcp accuracy in a safer round and if needed a full power 22 rf from the same gun. I live and hunt with air in Texas with my 25 cal pcp i can legaly shoot nothing more than a 177 pumper can. By law if i want to expand my list of legal game i must move up to a 30 cal pcp. When i hunt with a 22rf regardless of useing a quite or full power load i am free from all the air gun restrictions of what i can and cannot legaly shoot. The gun i now am useing is an early 70s era singel shot harrington & richerdson. With a value of less than 100 bucks it will never leak air,requires no extra tank or compressor has no shot count and is accurate first shot after sitting for months. Take from this what you will. I would want to know so am telling friends and will leave it at that. But yes a quite shot into the air is no safer than a full power 22rf or air gun slug or for the matter any other bullet.