• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Safety of old PCP air reservoirs?

I have an oldish Webley Axsor Rifle. I believe it’s about 17 or 18 years old, I don’t exactly remember when I bought it. I haven’t used it for a few years because it leaks and I need to replace the seals. Is there any reason to be concerned about the age of the air reservoir? I know the bottle on my Wolverine has a limited lifetime/re-certification period. Do the tube type air reservoirs also have a limited safety lifetime too? I’d really like to be using this gun again, but not at the risk of safety.

Hi guy, like HPAman sez, take it apart and look. Your reference eyeball and a flashlight is probably good enough. There may be some snot or smegma looking stuff inside. Mostly a mixture of moisture and silicon grease. Use a bore mop and a bit of ethanol to clean and allow to dry thoroughly.

Make sure you have an assortment of o-rings first seeing as how it’s got a few miles on it. O-rings often get nicked in the dis- and re-assembly process.

Bon chance !

it’s probably OK, but it’s also not my arse on the line....

Nice gun BTW, predecessor to the Tarantula I believe 

I can probably source a bore cam from somebody here at work. I'll do that when I have it apart and give it a look inside. Thanks for the idea.

I do plan to order the o-ring kit before diving in. I've never had it apart myself. I had the o-rings replaced about 10 years ago. Pyramid Air did it for me back then. But I'd like to do it myself this time. I've read on some older forums that it's a fairly easy gun to work on.

I bought this camera off of eBay for around six dollars the diameter is smaller than a pencil, it is self lighting and it works with my Iphone, Ipad, and Android products also.

It is great for viewing inside stuff, the only drawback is that it just looks like a computer charger cable and it gets misplaced in the jumble of wires fairly easily.

I did not put the eBay address are seller so just use some of the description below to look up the item.

2M 1M 5.5mm 7mm Endoscope Camera Flexible IP67 Waterproof Inspection Borescope.

s-l140.jpg

IT IS AN FX TARANTULA with a different label if it's the early versions (NOT the Turkey ones). 

Only difference is the extra notch NOT cut out in the stock for the bolt handle where you keep it in the open bolt position while changing magazines.

You can contact FX to check on the replacement o-ring kit to DIY.

Might be something really minor that may not even need any o-ring replacement and just dust in the fill port check valve.

I had several FX and Log in and Webley versions still hold air after roughly 20+ years.

You may want to cock it then fill it and bang the front end hard many times with a rubber mallet and see if it still leaks.

You need to locate the leak with soapy water spray bottle it may also be only needing yellow teflon gas line tape on the manometer threads too.

Old FX tubes seem tougher and looks to be better quality than newer ones so I wouldn't worry too much.

A29Adiver: Thanks for the tip on the super cheap Endoscope cameras.

Odoyle: It is as you described but mine does not have a manometer at all. The leak is actually thru the barrel. I also tried filling it with the bolt in the cocked position but it still leaks. Maybe the valve is stuck open? I don't have an air tank to give it a quick shot of air. So I think it needs to come apart, at least part way.

I have an old shinsung dragon slayer in 50 cal. I haven't used it in a while and noticed it wasn't holding air. So I took it apart to check the o-rings. When I had the air reservoir off I looked inside and noticed some pitting on the aluminum. I'm glad I found it and not sure if it is unsafe but have decided not to tempt fate. Too bad because it was a tack driver. So my advice is to take it apart and look it over good like the others said. Edit: this is why I will only buy bottle guns now so I can swap them out instead of throwing out the gun.

The ONLY...way to "properly" (per the industry standard) is. The following is paraphrased, because there is a couple of slightly different National Standards. All of this is done by licenced personnel...NOT the owner..!

1. Visual inspection of the given pressure vessel.

2. Verify that no modifications have been done to the pressure vessel.

3. Pressure test to x value. For every test series (10 years for most air guns "initial" test), the maximum pressure is lowered by a given amount (to be determined by the testing firm).

There may be other determinations considered depending on who actually does the test.

NO ONE that is not licensed, will have the authority to "accept" or "deny" a given pressure vessel acceptance.

Don't believe..."look it up"..!

Mike