Safety first, what should I look out for?

I'm new to airguns and looking to get a pump, or compressor for filling. Leaning more toward a compressor as I'm lazy. Not thrilled about having to store another tool though.

What are some safety considerations and overlooked factors I should keep in mind when choosing and using these accessories? Additionally, are there any specific maintenance routines or safety checks I should perform regularly to ensure safe operation?

Additionally, for those who have been in the hobby for a while, what was your experience like with your first tank/pump/compressor, and how has your equipment evolved since then? Have you found that certain features or brands offer better performance or durability over time? Any routines that have been vital to their smooth operation and safety?

This post is part of my 10 obligatory posts. I already know the answer to all of my questions, I'm just hoping for additional info. I came across the post of the guy with a hole in his thigh next to his femoral artery due to using a cheap hand pump.

I'm 30, I've ridden motorcycles since I was 18. I have done multiple scuba dives and cave dives, certified. I own tons of firearms. I grew up on a farm operating heavy machinery. I weld, sandblast, solder, work on 120v/240v, braze copper, vac/recharge HVAC systems/refrigeration systems. I'm qualified to play with air rifles 😂.

Your response is objectively offputting though. Not good for this hobby or any hobby for that matter. Most of the time thats indicative of internal stuff going on. I hope you identify whatever is holding you back.

Reactions: JimNM
Heya Cody - welcome to Airgun Nation. You ask a good question in a thoughtful voice and seem like a guy who can take advice.

I have in order of possession, used:
Hand pump - not a fan

SCUBA - yes SCUBA tank 3000 psi Aluminum tank, filled at a dive shop (in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert...)

Benjamin Traveler air cooled pump (broke it)

Warrantee replaced with Benjamin Traveler (broke it too - learned why)

Got a SCBA fireman tank - 4500 PSI

Young Heng water tank cooled - still have it but don't use it ->loud and water tank is a pain

GX CS3 air cooled- one of the first to get one on AGN and posted about it - broke it, too many volts into the control board

Fixed the CS3, used it for another 18 months before I gave it to my son - still chugging along

GX CS4 - on board water cooled, 4 stage pump. That one gets used weekly.

I added a second SCBA tank due to heavy use. I can now fill one tank while shooting from the other on tether (bench rest)

I can fairly state that I have a bit of time invested in compressors. Heat kills o-rings and motors. Moisture (and high pressure air) kills metals. Keep em dry and cool.

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi