• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Safe speed for pellets in .177 and .22

What would you say is safe speed for pellets in .177 and .22 calibers?

I am referring mostly to:

.22 , JSB Jumbo, JSB Heavy, JSB RS

.177, JSB Diablo, JSB Heavy

Is safe speed up to 920fps for the above pellets and "normal twist-rate barrels" Like the LW and CZ and hatsan/Kral and so on ? 

What about the JSB Monster/Beast, as Matt Dubber said, they like higher speed and twist-rate, often like +1000fps, I get what he says, but he often talks about distance above 50 yards, more like 100 yards these JSB Monster/Beast loose their accuracy, does that mean they are accurate up to 50 yards?

I start all my guns, 177, 22, and 25 out at 850fps. Then I increase the speed until things start to open up at 50yrds. I would have to say that all my guns, LW, TJ, CZ, BSA, Cometa, and FX barrels seem to be right around 890fps. I could push some harder but it’s hardly worth it. Now my lighter .177 shooting 8.4’s and lower like the 830fps and slower range.

"Then I increase the speed until things start to open up at 50yrds." Certainly a logical approach to finding what works.

I have had excellent results with JSB Beasts and to a lesser extent Monsters out of a Condor at 1000+. I don't shoot long range as a habit so not sure about the benefit to that but SorenSD probably has more information. Out to 60-70 yards the Beasts at that speed are very accurate, flat shooting, and hard hitting and that's about as far as I go with air guns.

I probably should have been more specific about what I consider opening up. When all the pellets in my 4-5 shot groups aren’t touching, that’s when I back it down a little. Now if I was happy with a group I can barely cover with a quarter and didn’t plan to shoot 80-150yrds, I could push pellets faster. Some guns/barrels get bad real quick once you get into the 9’s. Some don’t.

I probably should have been more specific about what I consider opening up. When all the pellets in my 4-5 shot groups aren’t touching, that’s when I back it down a little. Now if I was happy with a group I can barely cover with a quarter and didn’t plan to shoot 80-150yrds, I could push pellets faster. Some guns/barrels get bad real quick once you get into the 9’s. Some don’t.

Agreed, though I don't spend long hours at a bench fretting over pellet on pellet. As a long ago hunter I still think mostly in effective hunting terms even though I don't do it any longer. Bugholes are great and enjoyable but an air rifle that will shoot quarter size or less at 50 yards would be quite effective in that regard and for me that is mostly acceptable. I was noting that your method for approaching your goal seems sound and should work for either end goal.