• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Safe carry approach with a multishot PCP

I've just ordered my first PCP (Evanix Blizzard S10), and have been pondering the best way to safely carry one in the field.

With a springer I would simply have it loaded but not cocked, with the action broken.

It appears that when the mag is fitted to a PCP (which I'd prefer, to avoid losing it, amongst other reasons) there is no real way to keep the action open, or closed, with a full mag without it being cocked. As a rule, I don't/won't rely upon safety switches, especially with light triggers.

I assume my best bet would be to leave one empty slot in the mag and close the action un-cocked on that slot; when it's go time, cycling the action will the cock and load a pellet.

Does this approach make sense? How are you guys doing it? Appreciate any guidance.

I've just ordered my first PCP (Evanix Blizzard S10), and have been pondering the best way to safely carry one in the field.

With a springer I would simply have it loaded but not cocked, with the action broken.

It appears that when the mag is fitted to a PCP (which I'd prefer, to avoid losing it, amongst other reasons) there is no real way to keep the action open, or closed, with a full mag without it being cocked. As a rule, I don't/won't rely upon safety switches, especially with light triggers.

I assume my best bet would be to leave one empty slot in the mag and close the action un-cocked on that slot; when it's go time, cycling the action will the cock and load a pellet.

Does this approach make sense? How are you guys doing it? Appreciate any guidance.

👍

Many carry concealed and if their pistols are of the 1911 style they are in the holster cocked with the safety engaged cocked and locked as it is called. If they can do that with a firearm safely you can surely do it with an air rifle. I would check to see that your safety actually werqs before I trusted it though. But this all depends on what you feel safe with because in the end that is all that really matters.

+1 to load mag, and fire a shot safely into a safe backstop, its what I do if I want the mag loaded and ready in the rifle...otherwise just keep the mag out and cock+insert mag+shoot and its basically the same thing as the first method...rifle will remain unloaded and ready to cock/load/shoot post first shot of any mag load (in single-fire actions). Carrying a mag in your pocket, or via a little ingenuity on the rifle itself (I made a cheek rest that retains 3 mags) its really not a big deal to do method #2, and if my shot doesn't end up in my crosshairs with trigger pulled and I move, step 1.

Many carry concealed and if their pistols are of the 1911 style they are in the holster cocked with the safety engaged cocked and locked as it is called. If they can do that with a firearm safely you can surely do it with an air rifle. I would check to see that your safety actually werqs before I trusted it though. But this all depends on what you feel safe with because in the end that is all that really matters.

Not all safeties are built the same and some even go inoperable with improper trigger adjustment...unfortunately...as much as I agree with your sentiment, unless your safety truly locks down your sear (and even strengthens its engagement with the hammer if cocked) then I wouldn't advise relying on it other than a good habit to practice.

Not all safeties are built the same and some even go inoperable with improper trigger adjustment...unfortunately...as much as I agree with your sentiment, unless your safety truly locks down your sear (and even strengthens its engagement with the hammer if cocked) then I wouldn't advise relying on it other than a good habit to practice.

Seems most if not all airguns use a trigger block only safety setup. This is different from many firearms (not from all of them but from many of them). As has been mentioned, the sears can slip and hammer fall with safety on without touching the trigger IF the trigger is adjusted too light. I set triggers very light for my own use. Too light? Maybe. But I load the gun when ready to shoot and I know where it is pointed. Should a safety work? Seems like a good idea. Should a shooter rely on one? Probably not.

Rifles such as the Veteran, with an anti-doubleload feature are great in this safety feature. As mentioned, just decock with a pellet in the chamber, the cock when ready to shoot. Just remember that you gave a pellet in there when you're through for the day. Air rifle safeties are, for the most part, not very robust in design, and do not prevent the sear from releasing. I never trust them.

I carry on an empty chamber. With one rifle I can insert a magazine in the rifle that is on an empty and close the bolt on my others I either load a full mag and shoot into a safe back stop. Or when I complete my shooting session I fill the mag, shoot one into something safe, then put it the case on the empty, decocked chamber. Ready for the next garden eating critter.

So in regards to the Taipan...when I’m hunting cock and the target moves out of shooting range or site I just de-cock. When done for the day I de-cock place carry in on or gun box with mag in place, of course the gun is de-cocked. If the mag is present the next time I pick up the gun I know there is a pellet in the chamber. I just cock and shot when I acquire a target. Of course once all pellets are shot out of mag I just replace the mag.

There are lots of different operating systems and trigger designs out there. Some are more convenient than others in a hunting scenario, and the technique for carrying them safely varies with design. Years of playing with them has taught me two things: First, never trust a safety. A few of them may actually disengage the sear and make the rifle bump-proof from accidental discharges.The vast majority only block the trigger from being pulled, which offers no safety against the sear being disengaged. Second, do what is necessary to carry the rifle safely, and have a pellet chambered and the rifle cocked only when ready to shoot.