Safari vs. Bobcat - Showdown at the Rancho San Diego corral

Damas y Caballeros, errr, Ladies and Gentleman, I've finally had a chance for a head to head battle between my EBR winning .30 FX Bobcat Mk2, and the .30 Daystate Safari at distance. And since I had 110 yards available, what the heck, using EBR sized targets (7 to X rings only).

The Contenders: 

.30 FX Bobcat Mk2, Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50, 44.75 JSB at 875 FPS

.30 Daystate Safari, Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56, 50.1 JSB at 855 FPS.

Truth in lending, this Safari is not mine and is on loan to me from Airguns of Arizona, but it is BONE STOCK off the shelf, nothing has been done to this gun other than charge the battery and clean the barrel. 

My Bobcat, on the other hand, is the same one I won EBR with in October, and it is as far from stock off the shelf as a Bobcat can get. Tuned over the past couple of years, it has the barrel polished to a mirror finish, all firing valve and hammer internals polished, Huma reg. with internals polished, larger valve and valve seat, Wika pressure gauge, custom hydro dip stock, the gun is tuned to shoot over 40 shots per 250 bar fill using 44.75 JSB at 875 FPS, with an ES of approximately 6 to 7 for the 40 shot string, Trigger adjusted to approx. 6 ounces to break like glass on second stage. 

So in essence, I am comparing an off the shelf gun to a full, proven in competition at the highest levels gun... And as you'll see, the Safari held its own. No, it didn't beat the Bobcat, but was close enough that it could have gone either way.

The guns:

1576887628_7172508735dfd654ca7a019.14077250_IMG_2590.JPG

1577056832_10470716645dfffa40703d26.03198762_Guns and target El Cajon Dec2019.jpg

The range in a friend's front yard, El Cajon (Rancho San Diego) California, 70 degrees, winds 2 to 3 mph with gusts to 5 to 6 mph.

1577056882_12985579405dfffa72904f82.63787446_Target 110yds El Cajon.jpg

The lower target is 96 yards, the one I used today is above that at 110 yards, shot from a prone position with bipod and rear bag.

I printed EBR sized targets, 6 to a page, and shot 5 shots per target, using the 6th (lower right) as a sighter target. I scored these just as was done at EBR. In order to be fair, I shot one 5 shot target with one gun, then one 5 shot target with the other, rinse and repeat. The first card was shot rapidly, without waiting for wind, mostly just using the previous shots as sighters. First round to the Safari, 208 to 205, but I'd call this the practice card before the championship round....

1576888077_10436070985dfd670d1342d0.32375521_IMG_2588.JPG

Next up was full Maximum Effort, shoot some sighters, try and read the wind, get the absolute best score possible. In this case, Old School won out against New School, but not by much... 213 to 209. Remember, this is 110 yards, with about the same conditions as the finals at EBR. For reference, 209 was 11th in Pro division, and 213 was 7th in Pro division (out of 25 Pros) - at only 100, not 110 yards. 

1576888440_1860815795dfd68786d55a3.65720582_IMG_2592.JPG

So is an off the shelf, bone stock .30 Daystate Safari competitive at the highest level professional 100 yard BR competitions? What do you think??? ;) 
I say most definitely, no tuning or accessories required.

I noticed some shots dropped on the Safari target, one low on target #2, and two low on target #4. Initially I thought maybe those shots were slightly low due to a lower velocity caused by an electronic reg. problem? Being the inquisitive nuke that I am, I got the gun home, and checked the breech oring and it seemed just a bit extruded or slightly worn. This is more than likely the cause of those low shots, and if the oring had been 100%, it looks like the showdown would probably have been a dead heat...

Nice Mike, I went to college down there in El Cajon. The pictures just reminded me of how much I miss it down there...not all the people though. Lol I really don't want to spend 3G's on a new air gun but you and everyone else are making it hard to ignore. I know my boys would prefer a fun gun, the LCS-19 but I prefer accuracy above all else, with power a close second. I love big power, I just can't help it. Besides the accuracy testing today, what else can you tell us about it? Maximum power, likes, dislikes any quirks or cool things we haven't really heard about yet? I'd love to hear more. Thanks Mike.

Stoti 

.30 FX Bobcat Mk2, Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27×50, 44.75 JSB at 875 FPS

.30 Daystate Safari, Hawke Sidewinder 6-24×56, 50.1 JSB at 855 FPS.

Did the Safari prefer the 50.1gr vs the 44.75gr?

Yes, it prefers the 50.1 JSB, and that speed is the Medium Power level. Its slightly more accurate on Medium than on High.

Hi Stoti, the property is not far from the Cottonwood Golf Course... Maximum power is around 80 to 82 FPE, and from my testing it likes the 49.5 grain HP DB NSA slugs the best (about 840 FPS if I remember correctly), but on High Power setting, not Medium. I love the trigger, but I knew that before hand, since I've had a few Renegades with the same trigger. The one thing I would like to see changed is the magazine capacity, since they only hold 5. But I've been told that Daystate was working on a new higher capacity magazine for the .30 Safari.. I'm going to do more shooting with slugs this weekend...

How many of those five shot groups were sub-moa (about 1.15" ctc)?

Hi LD, didn't measure, was shooting for score and not for group size... ;) On the second set of targets the Bobcat (right side) I'd say 3 out of 5 were MOA C2C, but just a guess based on target size.

FYI:

Target Size Measures:

• X ring ……… 0.200
  • 10 ring……… 0.475
  • 9 ring………. 1.250
  • 8 ring………. 2.000
  • 7 ring……… 2.800

Evening Mike, the medium setting is a little more accurate and it seems everyone is reporting that my question is would it be more beneficial Daystate program the high power setting at a little less power in your opinion or does it really matter. Thanks Mike

I think the Medium setting is about ideal for the 50.1 JSB. However, the ART barrel is also very good at shooting slugs. And slugs shoot slower compared to pellets of the same weight, so keeping the High Power setting where it is works for slugs. 

Carl, I’m sending the gun back a week or so after I return from NC. I’ll try slugs one more time with it but no more showdowns. I’m going to be testing a .25 Daystate Wolverine HP HR in January. Wanted to go from full electronic to full mechanical from same manufacturer. We don’t hear much about that gun and it should be a winner. 

C,

Thanks for the comparison. Nice to know that it is possible to get a rifle that will shoot without tuning.

Hope you have a Blessed Christmas.

I agree. It’s great to be able to purchase a Daystate Safari, install a decent scope, then enter a tournament and be totally competitive to the point you could do very well and even win if you do your part. The gun and scope combo I shot above (DS Safari and Hawke Sidewinder - 24x) would be very competitive at any 100 yard benchrest event! 
Merry Christmas!

Hello Mike --=--

So are you testing the waters for when you go to Daystate and MUST pick a new rifle for yourself? Isn't that a part of your EBR win?

Hi Mike,
It’s a dirty job, but I’ll have to do it since I must. ;)

My wife and I are going to England the week of 23 March, touring the Daystate factory and also a Range day with all their models. If I had to chose now it would be either a Safari or Tsar, since I’m interested in Field Target but haven’t done that yet other than AFT at EBR. But I’m going to wait until after Shot Show and IWA to see if Daystate announces anything new that I might be interested in.