Sad news, good news.

It's 26 F and full sun with light breeze. Lots of happy dogs running around like normal. Looks to me like none have called in sick.😉

UPDATE:

The winds are running 18 mph now and the temp is still 26 F. These two are near my 50 and 75 yd. plates. Too windy to take a shot.

1576529071_2125993005df7ecaf66dfb4.42734062_DSC03855.JPG

1576529088_403599135df7ecc0694128.47004722_DSC03856.JPG

Another sunny day at 25 F and the dogs are out in force. I watched this big one actively migrate 150 yds. towards vacant holes close to the street. He went hole to hole looking for just the right one to take over. I was preparing the D34 for a shot when the exterminator and town rep drove up. He drove his pickup around the acreage for evaluation. He came back and said these dogs have plenty of natural food available for now. He assured the rep they will be gone by mid January when natural food is depleted. The ugly fence stays up for another month. The Kaput is dyed red barley seed. Neither of these street holes is occupied....wonder why?😉

1576603843_19600074895df910c3c705a1.37648578_DSC03858.JPG

1576603863_9938633885df910d71bfed5.53191665_DSC03859.JPG

1576603882_21218583075df910ea274557.39117398_DSC03860.JPG

Yeah, this is something that had poor planning. I found out the town has put off ground breaking until Feb., not related to the dogs, and the building will be set way back a better distance from me. It will be fully cedar fenced which will help with the overall eye sore.

The dogs lost two comrades today. I took a shot at one standing facing me at 70 yds. He ducked down quick at the 34's crack. I saw that pellet for half way then kick up dirt past him. It would have been a good hit. He came back out five minutes later. He did not react this time and got whacked good. He did a rapid front feet only crawl into the hole. Pretty certain he will not be back out. Thirty minutes later one was head and shoulders only out of the hole seeing if the coast was clear. I made a pretty back of the head shot at 45 yards. A nice loud slap and he dropped in. I will continue to take any I can as long as they are out. They are getting educated and very wary of what I am up to. The D34 crack is sending them underground.

This thread is starting to get stale. Same old same old. Thanks for viewing and commenting, guys. I will let you all know when there is no sign of life out there. 

....I just had to add this one last picture taken minutes ago. Targets at 75, 75.5 and 100 yds. in the same view. This big one has moved into a long abandoned hole where my 75 yd. plate has been for a year. Still lots of dogs up right now. No signs of any sick dogs yet. They are ignoring the red grain seeds. That looks like one happy prairie dog to me. I will try for him later.

1576855715_12462058935dfce8a3c38898.72980210_DSC03869.JPG

I did quite a bit of shooting today including terminating three more dogs. Really nice conditions with no wind. The usual 40-60 yard lethal hits. My metal plates need paint badly.

I did see two distant sick dogs later today. They were hanging half out of the holes and appearing very lethargic. There were three magpies tearing into another one at 200 yds. I broke up that party with a HN kicking up dust two feet short of the birds. They hauled ass out of there. About 2:30 pm another exterminator truck showed up for a look. We talked for a minute before he drove the 20 acre weed patch. He returned 20 minutes later and said he saw 8 dead ones above ground, the grain was all eaten at the holes. He assured me still very little risk of secondary unintentional kill. He did see plenty of dogs and fresh hole digging, too. He says 7-10 more days until all are gone. He would return for a look in a week.

I was not going to post about this next subject, but changed my mind. I made a long shot kill yesterday at about 2 pm. An adult dog was on his mound at 145 yards quartering facing away from me. Winds were 2-4 mph from the right. I decided to take a shot at him. Holding high and a few inches right my shot was 3" low centered under him striking his mound. The impact was clearly visible. Now I had the info I needed to correct for the next try. A distant barbwire fence strand proved a perfect horizontal feature to aim for and to still see the dog. 

My next shot was an inch left of his head judging from the dust impact past him. He did not flinch. My next ten shots were just inside the size of an apple but left, right or a little high. The breeze was causing some drifting. Incredibly he only looked left and right as the little bees buzzed by. Another try struck him left of center in the side of the head. His reaction was springing up 12-14 inches and landing on his back. Practically no post hit movement. I walked off the distance at 145 yards. There was small puddle of blood from a clean entry hole, the pellet did not exit.

I am traveling across the state again for another family holiday visit. Oh yeah, the D34 always goes, too. Will be gone 6-7 days this time. Most likely now, there will be no more P-dogs on that acreage when I return.

Happy Holidays gentleman and an Airgun New Year.😁

P.S. oh yes, that shot was fired standing offhand.

Later,

seven08