Sad news for me. Selling my hunting/shooting property.

I have had the upstate NY property for 13 years and made a very nice range out to 125 yards and extending to 175 yards if I really needed it. I used it for the golfball challenge. I also got my first buck there and have hunted it for both big/med/small game since the beginning. My son just started college in North Carolina and as you can guess or already know.....it is expensive. A friend of a friend made an offer the other day and i begrudgingly accepted. I was half way saved to an airforce texan but now there is no reason to get one. I am really worried now about where I am going to shoot since i really hate shooting paper at the range. I am afraid I am going to regret this. I hope these kids realize what we do for them. Oh well enough crying. 

1534540074_19713297985b77392a14fd06.27852572_Setup.jpg

I have had the upstate NY property for 13 years and made a very nice range out to 125 yards and extending to 175 yards if I really needed it. I used it for the golfball challenge. I also got my first buck there and have hunted it for both big/med/small game since the beginning. My son just started college in North Carolina and as you can guess or already know.....it is expensive. A friend of a friend made an offer the other day and i begrudgingly accepted. I was half way saved to an airforce texan but now there is no reason to get one. I am really worried now about where I am going to shoot since i really hate shooting paper at the range. I am afraid I am going to regret this. I hope these kids realize what we do for them. Oh well enough crying. 

1534540074_19713297985b77392a14fd06.27852572_Setup.jpg

Somethings can be replace,others,Irreplaceable.

Great DAD!

DON'T DO IT. I've got one daughter and she's a sweetheart but she's cost me so much money and IT NEVER ENDS. The property is going to increase in value and not much else you own will. I think we all feel we have to provide for our kids but we may be doing more then we should. College if you don't have the money you're probably better off. Really let the kid find a way, I've 71 years old, Paid my daughters ENTIRE way thru college. (and she has a masters degree) She's married with two kids. Doesn't have a degree that's very marketable and she's not happy working in the field she's trained for AND she is divorcing, My wife and I had to spend money we really don't have to buy a town house so she and the kids have a place to live. She's trying she really is but some times life just isn't fair If I had a property that might some day fund my retirement I'd hang onto it if there was any way possible.

I'm still working mostly because I am helping her. Again if I really felt she was at fault I'd let her sink. This is times thousands probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of similar stories across the USA. Leading cause of bankruptcy for seniors is "helping their children". 

Sorry to run on this just hit a nerve for me. I'm not without but I owe more money today then I have at any other time in my life. Hang on to any appreciating assets if there is anyway to manage. Basically I'm saying don't do what I did even though I continue to do it.

Just the view from a little further down the road.

Reactions: Smitty911
I live in upstate NY. This looks a lot like my property. I know how upset you must be. My youngest just graduated. Thankfully she got a stem grant and just landed a job in her field so Im free and clear of that. It is difficult to make these sacrifices but they are our children and we will do everything we can. I dont know where in upstate you are but out my way there is still a lot of rural properties that come up for sale at somewhate reasonable prices. Im sure at some point you can get something worthy of your sacrifice.

There was no need to sell your property. You could have simply been a co-signer on your son's student loans. And with all the grants and scholarships available out there today, the bulk of the cost could be offset by obtaining a few of them. Plus there is always the military option.

I have raised three kids and gave each one of them the responsibility in finding a means to obtain a college degree. Two of them chose the military option and one had to pay student loans for the first year and now receives benefits from VA due to my 100% Disabled Vet P&T status.

If it's not too late, hold on to that property. It is one of the most important assets to pass down to your child once you pass away. jmho