S.C.B.A Tank setup

Anybody got a good scba setup idea? I'm looking at getting a SCBA tank for my big bores
I got a scba tank and it was leaking from the o ring between the valve and tank.. so I went to the local dive center and got a new o ring and put it in myself.. but I aired up to 1000 PSI and it went halfway down overnight.. so another soap water spray check and it is leaking from the gauge area, so tomorrow I will call the dive shop and see if they have a valve and gauge rebuild kit or a rebuilt valve.. or if they will rebuild it because the new scba valve I found wes around around $300.. I got the fill set up from Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada.. and it has the fill gauge and bleeder and hose with the foster fill and the back to back to hook up to your compressor.. if you don't have access to a cheap scba tank id recommend getting it from Wes since he sells them with the fill station..
by the way. I have the survive air brand 30 minute tank.. it from what I can tell has the tank thread of 7/8.. there's 3 different size valves I have found.. 7/8" is most common on them, I guess a few were 5/8" and the standard fill station that most people think screw into the tank is metric 18 mm if I remember correctly.. but the metric threading is for airgun type tanks and doesn't fit scba tanks, so it is not as simple as buying the metric fill station and changing the whole valve assembly..
note.. there's another thread on here somewhere about the valve and fill station on here, sorry I don't have the link, just use the search like I did.. it has a link to a pyramid air fill station with the 7/8 threads but if you follow it, it says out of stock and yet if you search pyramid air it's no where to be found.. myself I plan on contacting pyramid air and seeing if it was discontinued or if it is available elsewhere.. but I didn't like the gauges on it because just bar reading..
if you find out a place to get a complete replacement fill station valve combo, please let me know..
thank you
Mark

Reactions: anonymous_.457
I got a scba tank and it was leaking from the o ring between the valve and tank.. so I went to the local dive center and got a new o ring and put it in myself.. but I aired up to 1000 PSI and it went halfway down overnight.. so another soap water spray check and it is leaking from the gauge area, so tomorrow I will call the dive shop and see if they have a valve and gauge rebuild kit or a rebuilt valve.. or if they will rebuild it because the new scba valve I found wes around around $300.. I got the fill set up from Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada.. and it has the fill gauge and bleeder and hose with the foster fill and the back to back to hook up to your compressor.. if you don't have access to a cheap scba tank id recommend getting it from Wes since he sells them with the fill station..
by the way. I have the survive air brand 30 minute tank.. it from what I can tell has the tank thread of 7/8.. there's 3 different size valves I have found.. 7/8" is most common on them, I guess a few were 5/8" and the standard fill station that most people think screw into the tank is metric 18 mm if I remember correctly.. but the metric threading is for airgun type tanks and doesn't fit scba tanks, so it is not as simple as buying the metric fill station and changing the whole valve assembly..
note.. there's another thread on here somewhere about the valve and fill station on here, sorry I don't have the link, just use the search like I did.. it has a link to a pyramid air fill station with the 7/8 threads but if you follow it, it says out of stock and yet if you search pyramid air it's no where to be found.. myself I plan on contacting pyramid air and seeing if it was discontinued or if it is available elsewhere.. but I didn't like the gauges on it because just bar reading..
if you find out a place to get a complete replacement fill station valve combo, please let me know..
thank you
Mark
Just get one off Amazon or eBay there called cga-347 scba fill stations what compressor are you using to fill your tanks with?

Reactions: markhooper
Just get one off Amazon or eBay there called cga-347 scba fill stations what compressor are you using to fill your tanks with?
can you please send me a link for Amazon for the fill station? I'd really appreciate it after searching for it for a few days.. that's something I am not good with is computer and Internet.. 🤣 it's a wonder I saw you thread..
I'm using a Omega trail charger from AOA 8 years old.. from my experience so far during the winter, I think I can fill it up in 3 times of running 30 minutes.. assuming that I get past the leaky valve.. it's my first time with a tank.. on this time around with Airguns.. last time was 30 years ago and I gave up on PCP guns because I had so much trouble getting scuba tanks filled without a diving license and I have no desire to dive 🤣.
it's been a great compressor and has filled my 3 guns one with a large tank too.. 5 minutes on that one..
Mark

• Love
can you please send me a link for Amazon for the fill station? I'd really appreciate it after searching for it for a few days.. that's something I am not good with is computer and Internet.. 🤣 it's a wonder I saw you thread..
I'm using a Omega trail charger from AOA 8 years old.. from my experience so far during the winter, I think I can fill it up in 3 times of running 30 minutes.. assuming that I get past the leaky valve.. it's my first time with a tank.. on this time around with Airguns.. last time was 30 years ago and I gave up on PCP guns because I had so much trouble getting scuba tanks filled without a diving license and I have no desire to dive 🤣.
it's been a great compressor and has filled my 3 guns one with a large tank too.. 5 minutes on that one..
Mark
Definitely need to get that compressor leak fixed to fill your tank way faster I use a oil and water cooled Yong Heng 4500psi compressor I love it it fills tanks and guns very fast

Mark
You don't need a "fill station". Since you already have an Omega compressor, all you need is a valve that has a Foster fitting.

An Omega trail is better for filling gins directly, not a tank, IMO.

Mark
Here is the link TBVECHI Adaptor 4500PSI Paintball SCBA Fill Station Charging Adapter with 60cm Microbore Hose Diving Cylinder Inflation Valve (CGA320) https://a.co/d/0PUqr6J

Here is the link TBVECHI Adaptor 4500PSI Paintball SCBA Fill Station Charging Adapter with 60cm Microbore Hose Diving Cylinder Inflation Valve (CGA320) https://a.co/d/0PUqr6J
That may work for YOUR tank, but not all of us do it that way. There are MANY different ways to fill a SCBA tank, and it all boils down to what your local air supplier can adapt to.

I use Foster at home, and so does my SCBA supplier.

That may work for YOUR tank, but not all of us do it that way. There are MANY different ways to set up a SCBA tank, and it all boils down to what your local air supplier can adapt to.

True. I have my own 4500psi compressor I use a check valve between the fill station air hose and compressor air hose. It's a Yong Heng oil and water cooled compressor

What benefit does the check valve offer you?
1. I can open the tank and don't have to worry about air rushing back into the compressor 2. It's way easier to open up the compressor bleed valves and turn it off then close the tanks valve without losing air and 3. It's basically idiot proof don't have to worry about closing a valve super fast and losing air or air rushing back into the compressor.

Same thing can be had for free. Attach and turn on compressor. Allow it to run a bit and build up pressure, then open tank valve. Too easy. I never rush things when filling. Never open the tank until the compressor line pressure is close to tank pressure.
The check valve also helps with the back pressure on the compressor making it last longer gotta keep the airgun compressors running..... LOL

Reactions: JimBentley
The check valve also helps with the back pressure on the compressor making it last longer gotta keep the airgun compressors running..... LOL
How so? Every time I start my compressor, the ambient pressure is 1 Bar, period. (If I can see an advantage, I would use one-way check valves as well. Please help me understand!)

Last edited:
That may work for YOUR tank, but not all of us do it that way. There are MANY different ways to fill a SCBA tank, and it all boils down to what your local air supplier can adapt to.

that's a similar one to the one that I got from Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada.. however my problem is not the compressor or that part.. first time I tried filling the tank the o ring was leaking where it's valve is attached to the tank.. after a new o ring I now have a leak on the built in gauge on the tank valve..
while I agree with you that the Omega trail charger is best for filling guns, I figured it was fine for filling the tank as long as it was staying cool.. the minute I feel warm air coming off the water radiator I figured it was best to stop compressing and let the water system circulate until cold and then give it a break..
it's a very well built compressor and I figured that as long as it doesn't get hot it will be fine..
Mark

that's a similar one to the one that I got from Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada.. however my problem is not the compressor or that part.. first time I tried filling the tank the o ring was leaking where it's valve is attached to the tank.. after a new o ring I now have a leak on the built in gauge on the tank valve..
while I agree with you that the Omega trail charger is best for filling guns, I figured it was fine for filling the tank as long as it was staying cool.. the minute I feel warm air coming off the water radiator I figured it was best to stop compressing and let the water system circulate until cold and then give it a break..
it's a very well built compressor and I figured that as long as it doesn't get hot it will be fine..
Mark
Yeah you might be okay just don't let it get hot when filling the tank I use a oil and water cooled 4500psi Yong Heng I highly recommend it. It fills my guns and tanks very fast and there reliable and tons of mods available you can do to them and parts are available and there easy to fix.

Builds up pressure like in a gun it helps with back pressure etc
the only advantage of the check valve in my opinion is that it will take some load off the compressor valve.. but it's not any different than filling the gun.. and like said above I turn on the compressor and let it get pressure up to or slightly above the tank pressure and then open the tank valve.. and then when I stop filling i close the tank valve and then bleed off the pressure and then I usually turn the compressor back on pumping free out the drain valve to clear any moisture out of the compressor.
Mark

the only advantage of the check valve in my opinion is that it will take some load off the compressor valve.. but it's not any different than filling the gun.. and like said above I turn on the compressor and let it get pressure up to or slightly above the tank pressure and then open the tank valve.. and then when I stop filling i close the tank valve and then bleed off the pressure and then I usually turn the compressor back on pumping free out the drain valve to clear any moisture out of the compressor.
Mark
Yeah I like it cause I don't have to worry about back flow and I can just bleed off my compressor and then turn it off and close my tanks valve.....

Yeah I like it cause I don't have to worry about back flow and I can just bleed off my compressor and then turn it off and close my tanks valve.....
so the factory valve and factory gauge on the scba tank is where I'm dealing with the leak.. so it's leaking out the top center of the gauge area. . hopefully I can find a solution for it that is not too expensive.. second picture is the fill station from airgun archery fun attached to the tank
Mark

IMG_20240130_182257517.jpg

IMG_20240317_171045600.jpg