• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RWS Diana Model 54 worth?

My friend has a chance to purchase this .177 Cal. Supposedly an upgraded trigger with a scope.Supposedly Competition grade. Serial # 04000800..Approximate value, anyone? Thanks, Dave
E7327D81-767A-4925-9DF8-7324A6566CE0.1647650991.jpeg
AF58BBFC-DCE9-41A3-8006-68E7CCC6AA1A.1647650993.jpeg
2572BF50-E866-4DA5-9781-CB41F7399B52.1647650994.jpeg
489CD289-E5CF-45D6-A9D0-53419E159E70.1647650996.jpeg
374DC196-624C-45F4-ABD1-EE9E5E846B2C.1647650997.jpeg
14C40ABE-3F86-49A1-8F86-B4F7A5800896.1647650998.jpeg

Hector Medina knows a lot about these. Google him. I think he may be here as well, but surely on the Yellow.

I had one before I bought used back in 1998 for $300. Is the factory price of $550+ worth it? It depends on your purpose/use. There are many PCPs and even break-barrels, etc out there that are same or better. But it's a unique setup with no-recoil (actually its double recoil). Did not see one with such stock unless the ambient light or photo-flash is off or it has been refinished. But I have not kept up with the RWS-54 for a while .

Keep in mind that this is a 30 year old rifle. I have a model 54 and I enjoy it, and even though it’s very accurate, I don’t know that I’d consider it for any competitive use. Also, being that it’s three decades old indicates to me that a rebuild might be in order. Not that that would be a deal killer, but we all have different skill levels when it comes to working on airguns, and whereas I would feel very comfortable taking it apart, you might not feel the same way.

The laminated stock is, I think, a nice feature.

Regarding the scope, though interesting in its own right, the Weatherby MKII .22 scope was designed for the Weatherby .22 rimfire rifle of the same name. The MKII scope, with it’s integral mounts is, I think, poorly suited for a model 54. A four power scope is truly at the lower end for air rifles, and it’s kind of a relic of a bygone era. Also, you’re not going to get a very firm connection between the scope and rifle with those rather delicate integral mounts. That is not to say that it’s worthless, its not. Depending on condition, the scope itself will have some value. Of course, not being able to view it in its entirety limits my ability to place a more accurate assessment.

Were it me, I don’t think I’d pay more than $400 for the rifle/scope combination. And maybe less. In fact, almost certainly less.

But I’m just some guy on the internet. My advice is worth about what you paid for it.

It was made before 1989 (when the wall came down).

It is worth what your friend wants to pay for it.

It was made July 1992. It's stamped right on the receiver. I have a m48 that was made in 1987 that I rebuilt 2 years ago but really didn't need it but wanted a little more power. It had never been worked on before then.

Keep in mind that this is a 30 year old rifle. I have a model 54 and I enjoy it, and even though it’s very accurate, I don’t know that I’d consider it for any competitive use. Also, being that it’s three decades old indicates to me that a rebuild might be in order. Not that that would be a deal killer, but we all have different skill levels when it comes to working on airguns, and whereas I would feel very comfortable taking it apart, you might not feel the same way.

The laminated stock is, I think, a nice feature.

Regarding the scope, though interesting in its own right, the Weatherby MKII .22 scope was designed for the Weatherby .22 rimfire rifle of the same name. The MKII scope, with it’s integral mounts is, I think, poorly suited for a model 54. A four power scope is truly at the lower end for air rifles, and it’s kind of a relic of a bygone era. Also, you’re not going to get a very firm connection between the scope and rifle with those rather delicate integral mounts. That is not to say that it’s worthless, its not. Depending on condition, the scope itself will have some value. Of course, not being able to view it in its entirety limits my ability to place a more accurate assessment.

Were it me, I don’t think I’d pay more than $400 for the rifle/scope combination. And maybe less. In fact, almost certainly less.

But I’m just some guy on the internet. My advice is worth about what you paid for it.

I would have to agree with this statement, the scope will become worthless for this rifle in short time. Therefore the value will be under 400 if the rifle shoots and functions well!! Just a note...usually a .22 cal brings more money as it is usually more sought after.

I am the friend with the rifle in question. Wishing I could find more history on it but that is not an easy task at all. I do agree the Weatherby scope is not a good fit so it is now in my scope collection box. I have other scope that might be fine. Whether or not the fancy stock and upgraded trigger are factory additions is yet to be determined. Too bad the original owner has passed so I can't get the info from him or his widow. As far as values go I honestly don't care because I own it and it is not for sale. I paid what I felt it is worth which could be too much but also might have been a great deal, what's done is done. The only real remaining question is about the age and function. Being 30 years old and well cared for but not fired in many years is the question. Will it hurt anything to add a drop of RWS oil as depicted in the care section of the manual and just start shooting it? I did get the pellets, cleaning plugs and lubes with the gun, just not the original owners manual or any of the upgrade info. Someone here probably can identify the trigger it has from the pictures and maybe someone can tell me if RWS made and installed the fancy stocks 30 years ago. Emails to RWS have gone unanswered so far. I do know the company has changed hands along the way so I am not surprised. I also don't know if the new Air King pro shown in the link above is at all related to one 30 years old. I was 40 years old back in 1992 when this was made and so far most of my seals and O rings are still in decent shape, I think.

The new Air king in red laminate .177 was not to find i Scandinavia, so I had to look "further down in EU" and ended up in Spain. It is on its way to Norway now:

Reactions: JamesD.
The new Air king in red laminate .177 was not to find i Scandinavia, so I had to look "further down in EU" and ended up in Spain. It is on its way to Norway now:
The 54 is considered a magnum springer. .22 is considered much better for magnum springers.

I am the friend with the rifle in question. Wishing I could find more history on it but that is not an easy task at all. I do agree the Weatherby scope is not a good fit so it is now in my scope collection box. I have other scope that might be fine. Whether or not the fancy stock and upgraded trigger are factory additions is yet to be determined. Too bad the original owner has passed so I can't get the info from him or his widow. As far as values go I honestly don't care because I own it and it is not for sale. I paid what I felt it is worth which could be too much but also might have been a great deal, what's done is done. The only real remaining question is about the age and function. Being 30 years old and well cared for but not fired in many years is the question. Will it hurt anything to add a drop of RWS oil as depicted in the care section of the manual and just start shooting it? I did get the pellets, cleaning plugs and lubes with the gun, just not the original owners manual or any of the upgrade info. Someone here probably can identify the trigger it has from the pictures and maybe someone can tell me if RWS made and installed the fancy stocks 30 years ago. Emails to RWS have gone unanswered so far. I do know the company has changed hands along the way so I am not surprised. I also don't know if the new Air King pro shown in the link above is at all related to one 30 years old. I was 40 years old back in 1992 when this was made and so far most of my seals and O rings are still in decent shape, I think.
Honestly I wouldn’t pay $800 for the red laminate ones but yous is a nice one with that trigger and I like the green stocks. If it was a .25 I’d go to 1200
I’ve had 54 .22’s that made 25ft/lbs with 18.13 tuned by John Thomas in PA
One in .177 with 13.43? 100 yard sparrows is easy.

Last edited: