RWS Diana 48 .20 cal has got me inspired

A quick note on the steel RWS Dynamit Nobel prize winning one-piece adjustable mountšŸ˜†. After a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning, I decided to use a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X40 Mil Dot (yes sir, one of the good ones!) with the mount.

Here's the mount receiving VIP Spa treatment prior to installation and set up:Ā https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ever-seen-or-know-about-this-1-piece-adjustable-mount/?referrer=1

As you can see, it relies on an all steel, robustĀ construction and precise tolerances as well as steelĀ grub screws to secure the mount posts in place. I did my homework obviously and saw that in the past many have complained about the design not being ideal to secure a scope especially when atop a magnum, heavy recoiling springer.Ā 

My solution was to "permanently set and affix"Ā not only the grub screws with Loc-TiteĀ Red (Permanent)Ā 271Ā but also the:

a) bottom rings to their respectiveĀ "ringĀ support pillar/block"

b)the ring support pillar/block to the inside frame of theĀ one piece mount base.Ā 

*ChemicallyĀ bondingĀ 3 independent parts together as one with the Red 271 with its 3000 PSI holding powerĀ for lasting reliability.Ā 

Getting the scope precisely dialed in so that it was optically centered for windage and elevationĀ at 35 yardsĀ took a considerableĀ amount of time and very fine adjustments. It was kind of funšŸ¤“.Ā 

Once the height and cant of the ringsĀ were in final position, the distance from the bottom of the 2 ringsĀ wasĀ measured from the top of the one-pieceĀ base so that I had a reference to return to should something change when applying the Loc-Tite 271. With the scope now removed and only the bottom ring in place, Loc-Tite 271 was applied through the open hole at the bottom of the mount which the pillar base occupies...One grub screw at a time was threaded out, Loc-Tited and threaded back in, then alternating to the opposite side...Scope back in place,Ā the 2 base clamp screws and 4 screws for the upper and lower rings were thenĀ secured with..you guessed it, more Loc-Tite 271.

After a generous cure time of 72 hours, the moment of truth: test shots to determine if the final and permanent position of the mount is where I left them. At 35 yards elevation was spot on, much to my delight! Windage needed correction of 6 clicks.Ā I can live with thatšŸ˜‰.

It's held up superbly for over 100Ā shots, and I hope it continues to do so into the thousands.Ā We shall see!Ā 

Prior to the pandemic IĀ too was looking for a side-lever .20 cal. I'm living vicariously through your post here. Thanks for sharing.

yeah decocking a Diana side-lever is an experience best avoided. I just put a pellet in it and shoot it.

I wish I had 65yds range in my backyard. I'm pretty much limited to 35yds. Trees and hills will do that. but thats why springers suit me so well.

Also, good job on connecting the D.O.T.S. there! (couldn't resist)

Prior to the pandemic IĀ too was looking for a side-lever .20 cal. I'm living vicariously through your post here. Thanks for sharing.

yeah decocking a Diana side-lever is an experience best avoided. I just put a pellet in it and shoot it.

I wish I had 65yds range in my backyard. I'm pretty much limited to 35yds. Trees and hills will do that. but thats why springers suit me so well.

You could always talk to Hector, he may still have a couple of those custom D54 .20's on a shelf somewhere. You might wanna have a fairly hefty bank account before you do as I believe they're a lot on the pricey side.Ā 

Speaking of the pandemic...or 2020 in general...Prior to it I'd have never imagined owning a RWS/Diana sidelever. Things change, opportunites were presented and I'm glad that my spring gun experience now includes these rifles. After my first shots with D48 .20 #1 (in first post of this thread) I remember thinking how well the powerplant of this rifle was developed. 28mm bore, long stroke for easy power,Ā piston weight "as is" capable of magnum power, relatively easy cocking effort , shortĀ & centrally located transferĀ port...

Of course there are some designing shortcomings; the play of the piston stem rod that some complain of and the barrel shroudĀ that is prone to becoming loose and rotating around the barrel sleeve liner...Ā IĀ canĀ live with the some of the plastic parts used.

Thanks!

D48 .20 #2 laid the smack down today on a furry field target. šŸ¤“Ā 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/diana-48-20-keeping-the-neighbors-happy/?view=all#post-1009221

1251F241-432B-460E-B2EA-1E2175CB24D2.1622075920.jpeg