RWS Diana 45 Bent Barrel ?

Good afternoon all, A while back I gave a friend of mine a model 45 RWS Diana model in .177 as a retirement gift. The gun is older but appears to be in excellent shape, shot very minimal. Another friend had purchased the gun new, I purchased from him and gifted to another. Last night I stopped in to his place to see how he is doing and he had the gun out, said he could not hit anything with it, hmm. He pulled out a straight edge and said look at this... Sure as the sun will rise the barrel appears to be bent upwards near the hinge point. One can clearly see a gap under the straight edge. The barrel looks to be bent "upwards" slightly, as if someone closed it too aggressively but I find that hard to believe. It would take some serious effort to do such (bend). My question for yall is, has anyone experienced this German made gun to have issues with barrels bending and if so any solutions in straightening, recommended vendor to provide a new barrel. Is the gun worth it to replace the barrel. Very disappointed to gift someone something and have it turn out to be faulty. I am not against buying him another gun to replace this one if I need to go that route. Thank You.

Tim

Usual reason for a barrel to bend upwards like that?? Whoever the shooter was, their hand slipped off the barrel while they were trying cock it and the barrel then slammed back up and the force of that is enough to bend that barrel up the way you saw it. Actually happens more than you might think or have seen mentioned and why many shooters use both hands when cocking a rifle and wait until until they hear the lower sear latch, then use their off hand to hold the barrel while they load a pellet just in case that lower sear slips off the piston.
It's fixable, just need to learn to how to bend barrels or find someone that lives close to you that can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Thank You for taking the time to respond and explain. I can see how this could happen and maybe it has I just do not know. The barrel seems fairly robust to bend but many things are possible when we think they are not. This particular gun is not scoped, he is using factory iron sights. I will look into finding someone/place to try and straighten if possible, it is not much so maybe can be successfully accomplished. Thanks again Fella's.

Tim

@69TransAm ,
Another common cause is pulling the trigger after cocking the barrel and while it is still broken open. The spring slams it shut and momentum whips the barrel upward, imparting a permanent upward bend and shifting the POI upwards quite a bit. This happened to me with my Beeman R1. I was able to fix this by bending it with a simple jig out of scrap wood and a c-clamp, thanks to an excellent series of articles by Tom Gaylord:

Here is a link to the final article in the series, which also has links to all of the others. It's very good reading:

The pictures in the last article are pretty self-explanatory. You have to keep tightening the c-clamp to put a reverse, downward-looking bend into the barrel, then release it and check it for straightness. It helps to count the number of turns of tension on the c clamp so that you can go just a bit more each time until you nail it without bending it too far.

09-27-12-01-barrel-bending-fixture-with-new-clamp-BSF-S701.jpg

That should help you out, good luck!
Feinwerk

Reactions: maxtrouble