• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning RWS Diana 34P lost zero

Relatively new to airgunning but not shooting. I have a 10 year old Diana 34 P that’s been well cared for and have been shooting more frequently over the last several months but the gun probably has not more than 500 rounds through it. It’s topped with a Hawke 3-9x40 AO. The gun was functioning great and was shooting with the variable object from 20 yards to 50 yards with no issues. I put 3-4 drops of chamber oil in it a few weeks ago and before I closed the barrel, I inadvertently hit the trigger causing a dry fire. The gun was not dropped but since then all pellets are shooting very high. I sent the scope back to Hawke as they have a lifetime warranty and they checked it out and could find nothing wrong with it. I spoke with a technician and related the specifics of what happened but they did not believe the dry fire damaged the gun. I remounted the scope and same problem. Shooting approximately 2 feet high. When I bottom out the elevation adjustment I’m still 6 inches high. I put 2 plastic soda bottle shims under the rear ring with no change in adjustability. I tried installing a Williams peep sight FP-AG. With that sight at mechanical zero I’m still 8 inches high. Anybody have any suggestions of what might be causing this or how I get my zero back? Thanks in advance.

Yes they can be straightened if not seriously bent. They normally bend right in front of the breech block. You need a large flat surface to check barrel straightness. I clamp the breech block in a secure vise then slowly try tobtweak the barrel back where it belongs. If severly bent some heat may be needed. Keep checking and in time you can get it back wherevit belongs. It does not need to be perfect, just close enough to be able to zero the scope. Accuracy comes from the last three inches of the barrel

I have straightened a couple of bent barrels and made them useful again. 

I had a wall in the garage that was unfinished and used the studs to help straighten one barrel. I screwed a 2x4 across two of the studs and slid the barrel to the bottom and pulled the barrel against the 2x4 a little at first and then I put more weight into it gradually checking it often. When I hit the magic amount of force I got most of the bend out.

Stuck another one between the bumper of an old truck and pulled it straight.

You can also put a couple of boards on the ground and set the barrel on them with the curved side up then stand on the barrel in the middle of the bend. You may have to give it a bit of a jump depending on your weight. Once again start out with a bit of weight and werq your way up gradually so you don't overdo it. You may need someone to hold the gun steady while you do this. An alternative would be to whack it with a soft faced or lead hammer or board once you have the bend in the right place.

Whacking it against a telephone pole in the right place would werq as well.

If it is already messed up you may as well give it a try.

So many ways to straighten metal there are.

Since that area has already been stressed, I might try to bend the barrel back down by utilizing the remainder of the barrel. There were some posts awhile back that showed how to do this using wood blocking and clamps. It was very simple, but would be effective and non-marring. You could also do this in stages to get the barrel exactly where you want it. You might try searching for those posts.

Good Luck!

I would highly suggest centering your scope then tweak the barrel to align with the scope. I have donevthis nany times when my gunsmith operation was going. Go slowly and do NOT beat on the barrel with anything! Slow and steady rebending until you get the barrel back where you need it. I am a retired toolmaker with over 50 years of precision metalworking, there have been times barrels have been bent sideways and needed to be straightened. Just clamp the breech block and pull or tug to get it straight and test, then tweak some more if needed. I know, rather time consuming but it will work!!

First off, one to two drops of chamber oil is all that's needed. Many will say that chamber oil isn't necessary for springers but I'm of the opinion that if it's recommended by Diana, RWS, Beeman, and Umarex then it should be done. Many people use to much and to often. I have a Feinwerkbau 124D that was shooting at 775 fps with JSB 8.44 gr pellets. I doubt the previous owner lubed the rifles chamber so I'm confident the chamber and seal were dry. I decided to use 2 drops of chamber oil and I cocked and unlocked the rifle but did not fire the rifle. I let it sit overnight to allow some the lube some drying time in order to minimize dieseling. Fired it the following day and it only dieseled twice. After 60 or so shots there is no smoke present in the barrel after firing. NONE ! Just like before applying the chamber oil. NONE ! Here is a 6 shot chronograph I did the other day. 

Screenshot_20210609-173918_Digital Link.1623438524.jpg

I just wanted to add to my comments but I'll focus on your dilemma. Your case is why many break barrel airgun manufacturers went with a anti bear-trap safety feature. Could you imagine that barrel slapping the head of someone when it released ? Serious injury or death could occur ! We've read those warnings before. For myself, I've always loved the option to uncock a springer that I decided not to fire. I also understand why manufacturers took away my ability to do so.

I would highly suggest centering your scope then tweak the barrel to align with the scope. I have donevthis nany times when my gunsmith operation was going. Go slowly and do NOT beat on the barrel with anything! Slow and steady rebending until you get the barrel back where you need it. I am a retired toolmaker with over 50 years of precision metalworking, there have been times barrels have been bent sideways and needed to be straightened. Just clamp the breech block and pull or tug to get it straight and test, then tweak some more if needed. I know, rather time consuming but it will work!!

Well put ! Zero the scope first to give you a good idea on how far, and direction, of the bent barrel.

Thanks for all the great advice. Since the barrel was pointed in an upward direction from the breech block, I was able to get it back down to a more normal position and the shadow that I could see in the bore disappeared. I have shot it with iron sights and windage was great and it was approximately 3-4 inches low - which is the direction I needed to go. I haven’t had a chance to rezero scope yet but I’m hopeful that I’ll have the adjustability I need. Thanks again for all the help - great to have access to this kind of knowledge. I’ll follow up once I have a chance to shoot it with optics.

I just wanted to add to my comments but I'll focus on your dilemma. Your case is why many break barrel airgun manufacturers went with a anti bear-trap safety feature. Could you imagine that barrel slapping the head of someone when it released ? Serious injury or death could occur ! We've read those warnings before. For myself, I've always loved the option to uncock a springer that I decided not to fire. I also understand why manufacturers took away my ability to do so.

Unfortunately I have saw that happen, wound up with a big crease in the forehead! Even with the beartrap you can still uncock the rifle you just need to add an extra step to release that beartrap. NONE of this would happen if folks held the barrel while loading the rifle. Very few prople will ever admit the touched the trigger but in most cases there finger is on or near and it was touched!!! If your hand is holding the barrel and the other hand is loading a pellet you never have to worry about touching the trigger!! Same thing with an underlever like a TX200 or an HW77.. Many shooting clubs require holding the cock mechanism as part of their safety program....

I’ve been shooting long enough to know better than to get my finger anywhere near the trigger- just a careless mistake on my part - even though the rifle was pointed in a safe direction. That’s how quickly accidents can happen. On a more positive note, got scope dialed back in and knocking over silhouette Ram at 45 yards. Thanks again for the help.