RWS 54 - Day At The Range

850D5ACD-0E7D-47DC-9B74-4C4650DCEBA1.1627510227.jpeg
501D2FEC-785F-423B-9EA3-DA7202F9D57C.1627510229.jpeg
BCE5A9D0-CE95-45A5-87E7-4A178252CC30.1627510230.jpeg
I’ve had this gun since 2001(I think). When new, I had a very frustrating time getting that scope to stay put on the rail…ended up using glue! I’ve done zero mods to the gun. The reason I’ve taken it out of mothballs is because my pcp won’t take a charge(yet). For a 20 year old springer that’s been sitting in my safe for umpteen years, it still performs quite decently. What really surprised me were the old Silver Jets(bottom right corner). I figured they’d be all over the board, but they kept up with all of the others. All groups were 5 shots at 25yds on a hot, slightly breezy, Visalia afternoon, off of a bench with sand bags. The scope is a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40. 

Nice shooting. I had a 54 back in the late 80s and 90s. I loved it...ingenious design. Albeit its accuracy was limited by the lousy RWS pellets available at that time. Even the Beeman pellets were so so. Wish they had JSBs back then. 

As far as the scope mounting. This rifle is in essence a double recoil...although it is recoilless. The scope is subjected to forces that are quite strong back and forth and requires a really well built scope, I had a TASCO made in Japan TargetMaster on it without any issues. But used a scope-stop that was part of the scope mount. On the top of the receiver there should be a hole where the scope-top-screw anchors the mount from moving.

Nice shooting. I had a 54 back in the late 80s and 90s. I loved it...ingenious design. Albeit its accuracy was limited by the lousy RWS pellets available at that time. Even the Beeman pellets were so so. Wish they had JSBs back then. 

As far as the scope mounting. This rifle is in essence a double recoil...although it is recoilless. The scope is subjected to forces that are quite strong back and forth and requires a really well built scope, I had a TASCO made in Japan TargetMaster on it without any issues. But used a scope-stop that was part of the scope mount. On the top of the receiver there should be a hole where the scope-top-screw anchors the mount from moving.

Fe7565 is right on!

Although the rifle itself is recoilless to YOU it is not recoilless to the SCOPE so you merely add the Diana Zero Recoil Mount.

Kindly,

Do you guys hunt with the d54s? I’ve seen multiple post boasting there accuracy they just look pretty heavy to me lol.

The D54 is heavy and for most not the rifle to hike across the woods and creeks with hills.

But if you really wanted to hunt properly making the first shot count the D54 tuned to your pellet and optical sight in recoilless mounts will perform beyond PCP accuracy and longevity.

Add consistency.

I wouldn't say that the RWS54 is more accurate than a good pcp; however, it'll keep up with many of them at 35yds and closer. I've sent quite a few ground squirrels "to the light" with my 54. I rarely use it for shots further out than 35-40yds. With my AA s410 extra fac in 22cal, I take shots out to 60-65 shots, a distance I'd never try with the 54.