• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RWS 48 question

karl_h

Aug 11, 2020
sc
I've had a .22 RWS 48 since the mid 1990's, bought it used with a couple thousand pellets the gentleman said shot really well out of it, and they did. It didn't take me long to figure out how to shoot it accurately back then. The date on the receiver is 06 93. The gentleman I bought it from said it was too powerful for him and his use and had purchased a FWB in 177. I haven't shot it much in the last 8 years, mostly because I finally ran out of the 1990's crossman pellets that shot extremelly well in it and a new tin I bought shot horribly, and of course I went PCP. I never did chrono it until today because I didn't care, the pellets I used shot extremely well in it. I have a few different tins of pellets I don't use in my Uragan and tried them, knowing the new crossmans shoot bad(Uragan didn't like them all that much either). It shoots Falcon 13.47 gr well, and strangely shoots H&N 21 gr slugs fairly well. Older eyes, 3 moa aimpoint red dot(my eyes don't do red dots well any longer) shoots well is relative. It really hates the 14.66 gr H&N FTT. I shot everything with my labradar set up, the Falcons were running 787 +/- less than 2 fps, the H&N FTT were running 784 +/- 2 fps, and the H&N slugs were running 639+/- a touch over 3 fps. I shot one FX 25.39 gr pellet, it was a bear to push in and only managed 502 fps, didn't shoot anymore of them. All the others shot very small ES over a min of 10 shots each. Given the tight ES, I'm guessing there is nothing really wrong with the powerplant, but I was always under the impression the RWS 48 was a little higher powered than 20 ft-lbs, was I wrong? Is mine working correctly based on tight ES and 20 ft-lbs, 19 ft-lbs with the slugs?

I have to be honest, I was using the chrono to get a clue what condition it is in because I don't use it anymore and am considering selling it. I don't like getting a work out shooting a pellet rifle, to me PCP's are so much more pleasurable to shoot.

Maybe just dry/ gunked up from sitting.

You may just take it down clean inspect the seals fresh relube and be good to go. Now the breech seal i would replace for sure but the piston needs inspecting and a judgment call .

At worse a tune kit of spring and seal thats a common thing to be done anyway ..

Good luck

P.s .. may do a good brass brush/ wool cleaning of the barrel to insure no rust or gunk in the rifling .. sitting that long id near count on that dirty

The 48 is just a darn snappy gun at full power and 20ftlbs seems about right. A tune could definitely help or even just a relube job but its pretty hard to say without actually tearing into it which is exactly what I would do. If you dont find it pleasurable to shoot though, cut your losses, sell it, and let someone else deal with it. There are much better springers on the market for nice relaxing shooting.